widnes14

Last of the Summer Wine

This show is full of oldies sure to kick the bucket soon... look at some of them! theyre nearly all gone anyway!

Also ex cast member Thora Hird died not long ago am i right?

Pity that i dont know ANY of the actors names!

• Like 1

Also ex cast member Thora Hird died not long ago am i right?

She was a part of the 2003 DeathList graduates

The show is something of a departure loungue for ageing thesps. A lazier bunch of Deathlist compilers would simply cut and paste the cast list every year.

Charlie Drake and Patrick Moore would be interesting additions to the cast.

Here is a a cut and paste of the actors who have played the main three characters in Last of the Summer Wine: :D

Peter Sallis (voice of Wallace in Wallace & Gromit films), Brian Wilde (Mr Barrowclough in Porridge) and Frank Thornton (Captain Peacock in Are You Being Served?) might all be considered famous enough for DeathList. Although none are particularly special actors or personalities.

I hit upon this show while looking at the credits for "Porridge", Brian Wilde being the common factor. It's perhaps a little surprising that a show based principally around old-age pensioners has been going since 1973, and unsurprisingly many of the original cast have passed on, (in actors' parlance "resting" - permanently). But some well-known British character actors have appeared in the programme, including:

Peter Sallis b 1.1.21 (perhaps equally well-known as the voice of Wallace)

Brian Wilde b. 1.6.21 (played Mr Barrowclough in "Porridge")

Frank Thornton b. 15.1.21 (formerly Capt Peacock in "Are You Being Served")

Kathy Staff b. 12.7.28 (ex-"Crossroads")

Dora Bryan b. 7.2.24 (made several TV shows and films in the 60s)

Can I offer them as a job lot?

(Mods: I couldn't find a "LOTSW" thread, but if there is one, please merge - Done-Teddy)

Aye, 'appen this is telly as permanent departure loungue.

Another worthy consideration is anyone who's been around who might be coming up to the show's cast.

I mean, if Richard O' Sullivan could get a job anywhere these days.......

Or Clive Dunn

She was a part of the 2003 DeathList grauduates.

What a wonderful euphemism, I hope you don't mind if I steal it for use in my own posts. :referee:

Just looking through this thread again, I wonder what became of lospalmas7. Last we heard, he was about to move to Hull. They have the interweb there surely? :sicktherm:

She was a part of the 2003 DeathList grauduates.

What a wonderful euphemism, I hope you don't mind if I steal it for use in my own posts. :sicktherm:

Would i mind if you steal it? Usually i tend to

dislike theives but i think i can work something out.

Write it as i write it ~

She was a part of the 2003 DeathList grauduates. - The Great Banshees Scream

Just as long as you write it like that the saying is as

good as yours. :crossbone:

Just looking through this thread again, I wonder what became of lospalmas7. Last we heard, he was about to move to Hull. They have the interweb there surely?  :sicktherm:

Well lospalmas7 was a very good but minor poster on this forum.

He once accused me of being GracieJC8? He had all these mysterious

ideas in his mind. Anyhow i'm sure he will be back. Though there

are many other deathlisters missing.

Even one of our own Administrators? Where's Stayin Alive? :skill2:

He hasn't posted in over a year. :crossbone:

Even one of our own Administrators? Where's Stayin Alive?  :crossbone:

He hasn't posted in over a year.  :sicktherm:

Actually, Staying Alive last posted on June 28th this year.

Or Clive Dunn

NNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :)

Guest iain

Its just occured to me that the actor Brian Wilde,best known for the part of 'Foggy' Dewhurst in Last of the Summer Wine (the tall one with the glasses) and as Officer Barrowclough in Porridge was not one of the actors who paid tribute to Ronnie Barker when he died last tuesday,despite working very closely with him on Porridge.Hes now 84 and has not done any tv or radio work for years according to his IMDB listing,so i wonder if maybe hes suffering from a terminal illess like alzheimer sor something and may not be around much longer?Hes one worth watching!

Edited by football_fan

I am not sure how old he is, I don't think anyone is

That seems to be the case. Some sources list Brian Wilde's date of birth as June 1st, 1921, but others list it as June 1st, 1924.

So June 1st is right then?

I've heard Brian Wilde is rather difficult to work with and doesn't do interviews, tributes etc prefering to keep himself very much to himself so it could just be that.

So June 1st is right then?

Not necessarily, if you were to read all of the previously posted link the actual date is also in doubt.

Well, it says he was present, it doesn't say he gave an impromtu display of weight lifting or owt. He's an oldster, I mean, he could still go soonish.

Well, it says he was present, it doesn't say he gave an impromtu display of weight lifting or owt. He's an oldster, I mean, he could still go soonish.

Yes, that's true & it gives no idea about physical state, but news on him has been so scarce since he's left Summer Wine, I thought whatever small titbits did come about would be of interest.

New series was on tonight. A few DL observations:

1) Peter Sallis clearly looks his age, but bar the obvious difficulty his eye condition gives him in terms of moving around, looks okay.

2) Eric Sykes, although playing a drunk, didn't look brilliant, certainly not as good as I've seen him in other recent programmes. Seemed to have gained a bit of weight. Don't think he'll drop straightaway but maybe not as healthy as I once marked him down for.

3) Tom Owen is getting significantly older & significantly fatter.

4) Keith Clifford was missing, and no explanation that I can find. May just be because of other commitments, or to be Iainesque, maybe 'cos he's ill?

5) Frank Thornton is immortal.

NOBODY is immortal, which is - kind of - the point of this site. Granted, he might live to see his 100th birthday cards. But, he's gonna die!

NOBODY is immortal, which is - kind of - the point of this site. Granted, he might live to see his 100th birthday cards. But, he's gonna die!

Turritopsis nutricula is a hydrozoan (jellyfish) with a life cycle in which it reverts back to the polyp stage after becoming sexually mature.

It is the first case in which a metazoan (animal) is capable of reverting completely to a sexually immature, colonial stage after having reached sexual maturity as a solitary stage.

It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation. This cycle then repeats, rendering it effectively immortal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula

Turritopsis nutricula is a hydrozoan (jellyfish) with a life cycle in which it reverts back to the polyp stage after becoming sexually mature.

It is the first case in which a metazoan (animal) is capable of reverting completely to a sexually immature, colonial stage after having reached sexual maturity as a solitary stage.

It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation. This cycle then repeats, rendering it effectively immortal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula

I feel a jellyfish thread coming on...

• Like 1