widnes14

Last of the Summer Wine

1 hour ago, msc said:

Yeah, the only issue I'm thinking of is that the obits might be confusing two similarly named actresses (which happens a lot). ie Ivy died but some other actress with a similar graduated at that time period. However, its equally likely (more so, imo) that the 1920s DOB was in fact utterly wrong and a whole bunch of regional papers reported it from time to time without double checking their facts.

You'd be surprised how little fact checking happens at times. To pick an extreme one at random, thanks to the research of some SF mags in the 80s, there are Doctor Who fans today who think Harold Pinter appeared in a Troughton era Doctor Who under a pseudonym, because it was the name Pinter used to act back in the 1950s pre-fame. Despite the actual actor still being alive, and saying it was him (and Pinter himself saying he wasn't in Dr Who), there's still folk out there who believe it and repeat it.

Anyhow, that's more of a tangent than anything.

For reference, her co actor in the early series of LOTSW was John Comer who was born in 1924.

Now, she COULD have been almost a decade younger than him when she was chosen to play his wife but, maybe, it was more likely that they would have been much closer in age at the time.

Maybe..

Edit:

Pic taken in 2008. To me she looks like she is in her 70s not her late 80s, right?

Jane+Freeman+Funeral+Last+Summer+Wine+Actress+NRaIF7dUEYDl.jpg

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

For reference, her co actor in the early series of LOTSW was John Comer who was born in 1924.

Now, she COULD have been almost a decade younger than him when she was chosen to play his wife but, maybe, it was more likely that they would have been much closer in age at the time.

Maybe..

Edit:

Pic taken in 2008. To me she looks like she is in her 70s not her late 80s, right?

Jane+Freeman+Funeral+Last+Summer+Wine+Actress+NRaIF7dUEYDl.jpg

On the other hand, Gordon Wharmby was 22 years younger than on-screen wife Thora Hird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Handrejka said:

On the other hand, Gordon Wharmby was 22 years younger than on-screen wife Thora Hird.

Smart arse. ;)

Yeah, it's always amused me that the age difference in real life between Mrs Robinson and young Dustin Hoffman is almost exactly the age difference between me and my wife! (Six years)

"Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs msc?"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

"Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs msc?"

:lol:

8 hours ago, msc said:

Yeah, the only issue I'm thinking of is that the obits might be confusing two similarly named actresses (which happens a lot). ie Ivy died but some other actress with a similar graduated at that time period. However, its equally likely (more so, imo) that the 1920s DOB was in fact utterly wrong and a whole bunch of regional papers reported it from time to time without double checking their facts.

You'd be surprised how little fact checking happens at times. To pick an extreme one at random, thanks to the research of some SF mags in the 80s, there are Doctor Who fans today who think Harold Pinter appeared in a Troughton era Doctor Who under a pseudonym, because it was the name Pinter used to act back in the 1950s pre-fame. Despite the actual actor still being alive, and saying it was him (and Pinter himself saying he wasn't in Dr Who), there's still folk out there who believe it and repeat it.

Anyhow, that's more of a tangent than anything.

Pity we don't have the whole of 'The Abominable Snowman' serial to prove it outright?

That said, there is a connection with Pinter and Doctor Who creator (or co-creator or whatever) Sydney Newman (he gave Pinter his TV break in 1960 for 'Armchair Theatre') which might have stoked the fires of that particular myth...

Never mind that shit, did Dame Edna Everage appear in 'Doctor Who and the Silurians'?

Hi,

See this thread from 2014 - Jane clearly looks about 18 in that photo, not 30 and it all fits. What I think has happened is as JF's birthdate isn't out in public knowledge, someone went looking, completely forgetting that Freeman may not be her real name. So they came up with 1921 and hence confusion. Sadly, not only is she dead (very sorry to hear this), but was born when the Stage and the Times said she was, I'm confident of that. It all points that way when you look at her on the TV - http://www.summerwine.net/community/threads/what-age-is-jane.12269/

• Like 4

Good to see you about, OoO. Hope you're keeping well.

Yeah, her being a schoolkid in 1951 blows the 1921 date out of the water!

Nice to see Jane getting a number of posts on here when she died though, in comparison with the radio silence from the BBC on the matter.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 01:35, CoffinLodger said:

Ivy R.I.P . Just Peter Sallis left from the original cast now then :(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fyfe. Scottish Actor Robert Fyfe is still alive aged 91. He played Howard although I didn't follow the show closely enough to know if Howard was an original character /cast member.  But I don't think he was. 

11 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fyfe. Scottish Actor Robert Fyfe is still alive aged 91. He played Howard although I didn't follow the show closely enough to know if Howard was an original character /cast member.  But I don't think he was. 

He debuted in the 1980s stage play tour alongside his wife Pearl (Juliette Kaplan, b. 1939) and his would be girlfriend Marina (Jean Fergusson b. 1944). All three proved popular on tour and got added to the TV series. They added a whole bunch of new characters in the mid-to-late 1980s (including Jean Alexander's Auntie Wainwright, and Thora Hird) who kept the show going until the vast majority of the cast died around the turn of the century.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, msc said:

He debuted in the 1980s stage play tour alongside his wife Pearl (Juliette Kaplan, b. 1939) and his would be girlfriend Marina (Jean Fergusson b. 1944). All three proved popular on tour and got added to the TV series. They added a whole bunch of new characters in the mid-to-late 1980s (including Jean Alexander's Auntie Wainwright, and Thora Hird) who kept the show going until the vast majority of the cast died around the turn of the century.

Many Thanks for your detailed reply :)

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 01:35, CoffinLodger said:

Ivy R.I.P . Just Peter Sallis left from the original cast now then :(

and then there were none... the wine vat is empty at last !

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 23:14, msc said:

Sad to say Robert had surgery for Bowel cancer recently - hopefully on the mend - but at 92......

Oh that is a shame. Hopefully he is on the mend, agreed.  Rather good comic timing in LOTSW, and one of the few bright spots once Sallis became too old and the rest of the stars all started dying.

20 hours ago, Youwanticewiththat said:

Sad to say Robert had surgery for Bowel cancer recently - hopefully on the mend - but at 92......

Source?

I really need to se this film! It is mentioned/referred to a lot in this place.

On 23/04/2017 at 23:14, msc said:

Mike Grady on Twitter has just mentioned that Juliette Kaplan is 'poorly' (his word).

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Mike Grady on Twitter has just mentioned that Juliette Kaplan is 'poorly' (his word).

Very poorly by the looks of it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Deathtreat23 said:

Looks like this has "doesn't have long left" written all over this.

'in her words, to say "ta-ta and it's been fun".'

Yes, seems it does.

Very reminiscent of... I've forgotten the lass's name, the Archers actress we all had four or five years back. Probably got six weeks to two months, so no DDP 2020 joys.

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Very reminiscent of... I've forgotten the lass's name, the Archers actress we all had four or five years back. Probably got six weeks to two months, so no DDP 2020 joys.

Sara Coward?

On 31/07/2019 at 14:30, DevonDeathTrip said:

Very poorly by the looks of it.

There has been a Twitter update from Barry Langford he says Juliette is still in the 'hospice' but sends a huge thank you to all her well wishers.