Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Lance Macklin

Further to a post on another thread. Lance Macklin, Old Etonian, gentleman racing driver and - indirectly - involved in 83 deaths when his car was caught up in the worst motor racing accident of all time is - apparantly - still alive. B 1919, I can't find a year of death on any of the statto-heaven F1 sites I've just surfed.

• Like 1

My mistake - as pointed out by the Jackal on the other thread. The man did well mind

1919 - 2002

Guest dashernz

Not well known Lance Macklin emigrated to NZ with a NZ wife late 50;s or early 60's an ran a fish and chip shop in a Nth Is village Otaki. The marrige failed given the wandering eye and in the late 70's or ealry 80's he returned to Europe.

Most thought a lot of his time was spent in Spain, but in reality a lot of that so called Spainish time was in NZ. Hmm!

My mistake - as pointed out by the Jackal on the other thread. The man did well mind

1919 - 2002

The oldest living Grand Prix driver is Paul Pietsch, who celebrated his 94th birthday last month. He still works at his publishing company, and is in good health. I really must make a proper list of oldest living GP drivers - Froilan Gonzalez, Toulo de Graffenreid etc. There's more than you might think, but if you can survive motor racing in the 1950s you can survive anything...

Anything - that is - except death itself.

Lawrenson, please get that list drawn up soon. Might be one or two we should be adding to the 2006 crop.

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

As previously noted, Lance himself died in 2002, so a wee death tag on this thread might be in order. ;)

I've come across multiple threads for people who have been dead for 10+ years, without replying to each individual thread what would be the best place to notify mods of this?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I've come across multiple threads for people who have been dead for 10+ years, without replying to each individual thread what would be the best place to notify mods of this?

I think Sir C threatened do this aeons ago. IIRC, DDT or DI (perhaps?) suggested providing a list in DM to the mods and they'd think about it. ;)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Lance Macklin's son Paddy Macklin, well known sailor, Telegraph Obituary: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/02/10/paddy-macklin-bibulous-free-spirit-who-sailed-round-world-solo/

As previously noted, Lance himself died in 2002, so a wee death tag on this thread might be in order. ;)

Oh, that is a tremendous shame. Sorry to hear this. The recent biography of Lance by Jack Barlow had a lot on Paddy and how Lance was both a good and bad influence in his life.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Lance Macklin's son Paddy Macklin, well known sailor, Telegraph Obituary: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/02/10/paddy-macklin-bibulous-free-spirit-who-sailed-round-world-solo/

Lance was already dead when the thread was started. Bit of a duff suggestion :D

Should've had the dead tag immediately!

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I think Sir C threatened do this aeons ago. IIRC, DDT or DI (perhaps?) suggested providing a list in DM to the mods and they'd think about it. ;)

I got a PM from IIRC Clorox yonks ago with dead celebs who needed updating, and I updated all the ones on his list. Though there's still a few stray ones like Macklin that slipped through the cracks is all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

I got a PM from IIRC Clorox yonks ago with dead celebs who needed updating, and I updated all the ones on his list. Though there's still a few stray ones like Macklin that slipped through the cracks is all.

Would it be alright if I compiled a list of those that I have noticed that need updating and sent it your way to sort out.

19 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Here's one.

Died in 2008, shortly after his 90th birthday.

• Like 1

Brian Clough

Ron Santo

Bernard Matthews

Alan Young

All need updating

Went down to the oldest pages of the forums and basically all of them are dead but never tagged as such, half of the threads from 2004-6 are just one post on the day of a celeb's death so I don't know if it really matters. 

• Like 2