widnes14

William Gladstone Stewart

Richard Whitely being dead makes me wonder how long the fifteen to one fellas got left

William G Stewart is the chap you're referring to. Not sure how old he is, late 60s would be my guess. Magnus Magnusson of Mastermind fame would surely be a more promising candidate.

Incidentally, I often used to wonder what happened to the unsuccessful participants on Fifteen to One. Stewart always introduced the second half with "the three surviving contestants are ..."

Maybe they end up on the Dalek spaceship with Anne Droid?

DWB ;)

The horror...

BTW: that episode of Dr Who was quite amusing.

regards,

Hein

William Gladstone Stewart has been the host of fifteen to one and in 1997 became the only person except from Richard Whiteley (R.I.P) to host countdown.

This year he shall turn 70 and could die so if he survives this year next years list could feature him.

So, let me get this straight: one presenter of a long-running channel 4 weekday afternoon game show pops his clogs, so automatically a presenter of another long-running channel 4 weekday afternoon game show deserves a spot on the List.

Could you explain how the one death might cause the other?

Or are you saying that hosting Countdown in Whiteley's absence means that WGS is tainted by what will become known as the 'Countdown curse'. So are those other people who were lined up to stand in during the recent illness of RW also hot tips for the 2006 List?

I'm a little dubious, to say the least.

I have not seen any news of him being ill or having any recent health related problems. These days, a healthy 70 year-old person can expect to live at least another 5 - 10 years. It is not enough to include someone on next years deathlist just because he is 70.

the average life expectancy is 70 or round about 70

This guy's comments about his fellow contestants made me chuckle:

15 to 1

(sorry for digressing!)

Guest toffee

Once met William G at a 15 to 1 audition in Oxford. Unlike other quiz shows (I was on a couple but auditioned for 6 or 7) he actually turned up at every audition and asked the questions.

A nicer bloke you could not meet. Very pleasant chap, but I didn't qualify unfortunately...

Also went on Win, Lose or Draw when Shane Ritchie presented it in the early 90's. Again, a very nice geezer.

Once met William G at a 15 to 1 audition in Oxford. Unlike other quiz shows (I was on a couple but auditioned for 6 or 7) he actually turned up at every audition and asked the questions.

A nicer bloke you could not meet. Very pleasant chap, but I didn't qualify unfortunately...

Also went on Win, Lose or Draw when Shane Ritchie presented it in the early 90's. Again, a very nice geezer.

What does the "G" stand for?

What does the "G" stand for?

No worries I've found it ....Gertrude.

William G Stewart was also the producer of the fine 70's sitcom "Bless This House" starring the late lamented Sid James et al - where would we be without quality jokes centring on an artistic son, a daughter wearing short skirts and comedy references to "Bristols"..........sigh, the golden age of TV...........

Can this be merged with this please?

(Which accurately shows that just because one quiz presenter has died - another is not due to go.)

(Isn't there a quiz show where repetition causes you lose?)

[Topics merged - Teddy]

(Isn't there a quiz show where repetition causes you lose?)

Just A Minute

"Nicholas Parsons hosts the devious panel game. Remember the rules: no hesitation, repetition or deviation."

Nicholas Parsons must be about 80 by now. Any health news on him?

I know I shouldn't post this here but who is the old fat man from Antiques Roadshow who used to be the porcelain expert.

Do you mean Arthur Negus (1903 - 1985) ?

Or Henry Sandon?

Do you mean Arthur Negus (1903 - 1985) ?

Whilst not knowing the porcelain man, if memory serves me rightly Arthur Negas was more of a furniture man.

Of course it could be Henry Sandon

Edited by Slave to the Grave

Its Henry Sandon. The reason I brought him up is because he was on some other antiques programme and he was awfully shaky - Im guessing that he wasn't camera shy.

Besides - he must be due a heart attack soon. He always gets excited over nothing - a plate for example.