Sign in to follow this  
Death Watch Beatle

Ralph Stanley

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4630347.stm

I post this as a new thread for two reasons:

1 - If he gets a page on the BBC website when he has an operation, I'm pretty sure he will get an obit. when he has a funeral.

2 - I don't know who he is. So, the DeathList being a great place of learning, I will wait and see if anyone posts some interesting facts about our man. The BBC page gives a brief overview, but does anybody actually listen to his stuff?

DWB http://www.deathlist.net/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/dry.png

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4630347.stm

I post this as a new thread for two reasons:

1 - If he gets a page on the BBC website when he has an operation, I'm pretty sure he will get an obit. when he has a funeral.

2 - I don't know who he is. So, the DeathList being a great place of learning, I will wait and see if anyone posts some interesting facts about our man. The BBC page gives a brief overview, but does anybody actually listen to his stuff?

DWB  ;)

Ah yes, Ralph Stanley King of Bluegrass. Darn fine picker and keeper of the flame of true 'mountain music.'

Would be sad but not unexpected to hear that he'd twanged his last banjo string.

I don't know who he is. So, the DeathList being a great place of learning, I will wait and see if anyone posts some interesting facts about our man. The BBC page gives a brief overview, but does anybody actually listen to his stuff?

Yes, there are quite a few people who listen to the music of Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys. Ralph performed with his brother Carter Stanley for several years and they were of course The Stanley Brothers. When Carter passed away in around 1966 at the tender age of 41 (or was it 42?) Ralph had the option of quitting or moving forward. Mercifully he moved forward and we have had an additional 35+ years of musical enjoyment.

Among others who got a good strong foothold in the music industry there is Ricky Skaggs who even crossed over from country/bluegrass to the mainstream pop charts briefly in the 1980's.

Bluegrass music is a type of music which is hard to match in the way it reaches in and grabs the heartstrings. A good tune picked out on a banjo or mandolin or played off on a fiddle can bring tears to the eyes and if there are vocals attached to the music a good strong voice can really get the emotions running. Ralph Stanley has that talent.

Now for your educational purposes I give you the following websites (although a Google Search would also do the job)

RalphStanley--the basics

The Ralph Stanley Museum

Jelly Roll Review

Ralph's Biography

While you are at it, look up some of his early co-workers such as Roy Lee Centers who met an untimely death. Check his influences such as The Monroe Brothers (Bill Monroe in particular). Bluegrass--There's nothing quite like it, a unique music which you'll fall in love with as soon as you hear it.

A friend of mine is going to see the good doctor at the Barbican this evening. I've asked him to get as detailed a health report as is humanly possible, and maybe even one or two photos which I'll endeavour to post.

Yee, and indeed, haw.

I thought this thread would be as good as any to post about a death by banjo.

A violent argument erupted and Mr Brown, 69, was bashed repeatedly with a banjo before the neck of the instrument was rammed down his throat.

The offender got twelve years in jail. Quite right too, people who show such a moronic lack of respect to fine musical instruments deserve to be dealt with harshly.

A violent argument erupted and Mr Brown, 69, was bashed repeatedly with a banjo before the neck of the instrument was rammed down his throat.

The offender got twelve years in jail. Quite right too, people who show such a moronic lack of respect to fine musical instruments deserve to be dealt with harshly.

B..b..b....but.

It's A Banjo forchristsakes.

What's the definition of a gentleman?

Someone who knows how to play the banjo, but doesn't.

What's a definition of perfect pitch?

Bouncing a banjo off an accordionist's head and into a skip

B..b..b....but.

It's A Banjo forchristsakes.

What's the definition of a gentleman?

Someone who knows how to play the banjo, but doesn't.

What's a definition of perfect pitch?

Bouncing a banjo off an accordionist's head and into a skip

Hmm. As someone who occasionally enjoys a good pluck, I'm not sure I can be persuaded to accede to your view on this particular subject.

Just for you - although worryingly, the whole audience seem to have been spiked with Mogadon. I guess you'd probably be happier listening to a long dead, badly recorded, probably blind, possibly devil encountering delta bluesman howling a hardly discernable ditty about how he's lost his dog. ;)

As for perfect pitch, that'll be me preforming on the musical saw I got on e-bay last year. I played it again in my local pub recently and this time there were still a few people there when I'd finished. So I'm making progress.

George Shuffler, former guitarist in Ralph's Clinch Mountain Boys, has shuffled off.

George Shuffler, former guitarist in Ralph's Clinch Mountain Boys, has shuffled off.

The man who delivered that news and features in the video, CMB road manager and guitarist James Alan Shelton, has died just two months later. Not that I'm obsessed with bluegrass or Ralph Stanley or banjos or anything.

Bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley, or as he is also known, Dr. Ralph Stanley, 88, has fractures his pelvis. He is expected to make a full recovery though:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/country-legend-dr-ralph-stanley-hospitalised-after-fall_4953846

Edit: Oh wow, he had his own thread! That didn't cross my mind.

Bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley, or as he is also known, Dr. Ralph Stanley, 88, has fractures his pelvis. He is expected to make a full recovery though:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/country-legend-dr-ralph-stanley-hospitalised-after-fall_4953846

Edit: Oh wow, he had his own thread! That didn't cross my mind.

It shouldn't have crossed one's mind. It's ridiculous. The greatest bluegrass musician in the history of bluegrass musicians doesn't deserve their own thread. Bluegrass musicians aren't important enough in any capacity to be given a thread on DL.

SC​

If being the most respected iconic person of a genre of music does not merit one's own thread then who really does.

If being the most respected iconic person of a genre of music does not merit one's own thread then who really does.

I think gcreptile posted elsewhere and the post was moved here. He then added the "oh wow" bit and Sir Creep took a sarky swipe.

I think gcreptile posted elsewhere and the post was moved here. He then added the "oh wow" bit and Sir Creep took a sarky swipe.

Exactly! And that bluegrass is about as popular in Europe as the Eurovision Song Contest is in the USA.

• Like 1

Exactly! And that bluegrass is about as popular in Europe as the Eurovision Song Contest is in the USA.

Bawz.

Big in Finland....

Bawz.

Big in Finland....

Ok, ok... I admit, bluegrass is about as popular with me as the Eurovision Song Contest in the USA.

• Like 1

Thought I never knew him until I read it was him who sung "Oh Death" and "Man of constant sorrow" which feature in the awesome movie "Oh brother, where art thou". In fact I own a CD of te soundtrack for Pete's sake!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQRh7dvmY50

Edit:

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE FORUM??! WHY IS IT THAT YOUTUBE ISN'T VIEWABLE ANYMORE?! FIX THAT! PRONTO!

Edit 2: Fine, the curse filter is working....!

Thought I never knew him until I read it was him who sung "Oh Death" and "Man of constant sorrow" which feature in the awesome movie "Oh brother, where art thou". In fact I own a CD of te soundtrack for Pete's sake!!

Edit:

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE FORUM??! WHY IS IT THAT YOUTUBE ISN'T VIEWABLE ANYMORE?! FIX THAT! PRONTO!

Put it up as a link, see if that works.

Edit:

WHAT THE f**k IS WRONG WITH THE FORUM??! WHY IS IT THAT YOUTUBE ISN'T VIEWABLE ANYMORE?! FIX THAT! PRONTO!

Put it up as a link, see if that works.

Why can't we have embedding back instead of putting up a link? I've tried posting a link and it doesn't work.

Good place to dump Ernie Thacker crap.
Here's hoping Ernie ain't bluffing in the next three weeks.

For completeness:

Now....
If you're interested, Thacker has to get rid of his dog cuz it affects Ernie's breathing.  Own a piece of DL history!
SC