Lady Die

Tennis players

Gene Mako

"Gene Mako, a champion tennis player who paired with the legendary Don Budge to win four doubles titles at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in the 1930s, died Friday" aged 97.

• Like 1

Congrats to Marion Bartoli.

Vive la différence!

I don't know why but i think she might be into bondage .

2 great days in a row for French tennis

Bartoli's countrywoman Kristina Mladenovic wins the mixed doubles with Daniel Nestor of Canada.

Marcelo Rios

The former World Number 1 has been hospitalized since August 2 with reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome(idk what that is).According to the article he hasn't been in intensive care and he is conscious and seems to be evolving fine.

Four-times Wimbledon champion Louise Brough dead at 90.

Sad news as Brough was one of the greats of her time. She did look very frail when visiting Wimbledon in the last couple of years for various anniversaries however so this news isn't all that surprising.

Ouch, only 30. What is it with young British tennis players getting cancer, did the government use Wimbledon's Court 18 as a nuclear testing ground during WW2 and never bothered telling anybody?

While we're discussing tennis players has anyone noticed how incredibly shit Rod Laver looks whenever he's seen in the crowd during an event these days? Maybe one for next year's list....

Elena Baltacha has liver cancer.

Chernobyl strikes again ? She was born 2 hours from Chernobyl.

Elena Baltacha has liver cancer.

Chernobyl strikes again ? She was born 2 hours from Chernobyl.

According to her Wikipedia entry, she was diagnosed with Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis at age 19; the causes of this is unknown but it can lead to liver cancer; the difinitive treatment is liver transplant. Average survival time from diagnosis is estimated to be 25 years (according to a German study). American footballer Walter Payton also had the condition

Guest Guest

What tragic news. She can only have months left to live at most I'd have thought :(

Here are some suggestions for tennis players who may die soon (due to advanced age):

• Bobbie Heine Miller: Born 04.12.1909, aged 104. Won the French doubles title in 1927 !!!
  • Gardnar Mulloy: Born 22.11.1913, aged 100. Oldest living tennis HOF member.
  • Dorothy Bundy Cheney: Born 01.09.1916, aged 97. Oldest living female Grand Slam singles champion.
  • Thelma Coyne Long: Born 14.10.1918, aged 95.
  • Welby Van Horn: Born 08.09.1920, aged 93.
  • Pancho Segura: Born 20.06.1921, aged 92.
  • Earl Cochell: Born 18.05.1922, aged 91. Only player barred for life by the US tennis association.
  • Patricia Canning Todd: Born 22.07.1922, aged 91.
  • Vic Seixas: Born 30.08.1923, aged 90. Oldest living male Grand Slam singles champion.
  • Budge Patty: Born 11.02.1924, aged 90.

I don't think any of these are really famous names, but most were grand slam champions so will get obits.

The players we generally think of as 'old' are not that advanced in years by today's standards (Rosewall, Laver, Court, King etc. are all in their 70s).

Some of those I think its almost nil chance they will get the required obit. A few of those like Segura,Malloy,Heine Muller and Seixas probably will get the necessary obit but I don't think its a given.

Fuckin' hell........

RIP :mellow::(

Guest Guest

Fuckin' hell........

RIP :mellow::(

Yes,very shocking, esp considering she only retired from tennis last year. Wouldn't think someone so young and healthy could go so quickly :(

Young? Yes. Healthy? Well, she did have a chronic liver condition for 11 years

I'm just shocked that it's been so quick. She only announced she had cancer 2 months ago. Now she's gone. I don't know if that means it was picked up late or it was an aggressive form of cancer but it's still awful

Wow really awful I suspected shed be gone by the end of the year but 5 weeks after diagnosis crikey!Her pre_existing liver condition probably caused complications.

RIP Elena. Horrid news. :(

Guest Guest

Wow really awful I suspected shed be gone by the end of the year but 5 weeks after diagnosis crikey!Her pre_existing liver condition probably caused complications.

according to radio 5 live she was diagnosed in january .She just didn't reveal it publicly till march. it's still a shockingly short time though

Bloody hell. It was only a matter of months ago I saw her on telly and thought she scrubbed up really well!

And now she's dead?

Terrible news...

• Like 1