Lady Die

Tennis players

22 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Mervyn Rose, Australian tennis Hall of Famer, dead at 87:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/merv-rose-australian-tennis-great-and-hall-of-famer-passes-away/news-story/e575306fb99172dd0d284200e22b307b

Was no.3 of the world once, and very 'unorthodox'.

No need for redundancy around here.

• Like 3

French tennis player (and potential DDP key hit for Golden Slumbers should there be an obit) Jerome Golmard dead at 43.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

French tennis player (and potential DDP key hit for Golden Slumbers should there be an obit) Jerome Golmard dead at 43.

Wow. I had him banked for 2019...

Goodness, that's a game changer if the obit arrives.

• Like 2

Damn, just as I thought Bert was at risk of losing the lead, he solidifies his position once again.

But so far, only French sources reporting it. I don't know enough about tennis or UK media to give an accurate statement on Golmard's QO chances.

Golmard once beat Tim Henman at a Grand Slam, which increases his QO hopes.  (Also he was a seeded player who died young, so...give it a few days tops...)

• Like 1

Well done Bert!

• Like 1

Very decisive Bert. Very decisive. Well done! 

Good game. Golden Slumbers really deserved the title this year and things are looking good for Bert.

Just now, drol said:

Good game. Golden Slumbers really deserved the title this year and things are looking good for Bert.

I was rooting for Thomas Jefferson Survives. I think they could still nab the championship, but I think it's really winding down to four teams: Golden Slumbers, TJS, DQSBP, and Still Life. Who will win from these four? 

30 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I was rooting for Thomas Jefferson Survives. I think they could still nab the championship, but I think it's really winding down to four teams: Golden Slumbers, TJS, DQSBP, and Still Life. Who will win from these four? 

Current Projection...

Tjs 188 (Bradley, Nevin, Ricketts surviving)

DQSP 186 (Bradley, Gilbert, Nevin surviving – w/ Singh QO)

GS 179 (Forsyth, Nevin Ricketts surviving)

Still Life 176   (Fujimori, James, Spiridinov surviving)

:clap: Yes, much congrats to Bert. Golmard easily felt the riskiest pick on his team (a couple years before the "sweet spot" for ALS picks) so that Golmard paid dividends after all is huge for him.

I think this hit solidifies Bert's chances but all of the top 4 still have a shot. I've felt for a few weeks now that my most plausible victory route goes through Elias/Meads/Karl/Booth/Michael... I guess the only major change Golmard dying does to this route is it makes Forsyth surviving much more crucial.

I think I had him (Golmard) at 40% chance of dying. Probably more than a couple of others, but I still regarded him as a huge punt. This pick must have been well-researched. Bert could easily have gone for, say, Fernando Ricksen or Steve Gleason instead. Kudos!

Is this the year of the ALS hits?

About the title race, I also think that this is not yet the decision. But, in my opinion, this surprise (?) hit got Bert back into the pole position. It keeps him ahead even after Stefan Karl's death (a punt that has now become a sure hit). Death Impends needs Tony Booth now. The winner will have 17-18 hits. I think this rules out Spade, but you never know with him (Laurie Brokenshire drowing on/under his boat?). I'm more pessimistic about the Singh obit as well. But let's see....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I think I had him (Golmard) at 40% chance of dying. Probably more than a couple of others, but I still regarded him as a huge punt. This pick must have been well-researched. Bert could easily have gone for, say, Fernando Ricksen or Steve Gleason instead. Kudos!

Is this the year of the ALS hits?

Hell no.  Oh sure you had two notable (one of which was unknown) this week, but damn near all known ALS sufferers are carrying on just fine tyvm.  Sadly I can't find 20 or I'd field a theme team.  I came up with about 12 of note.  Granted, 'of note' or 'I came up with' can be questioned cuz I never heard or discovered this tennis player, before or after death, so I"m a bozo.  But a bozo that is correct in saying your comment about ALS hits is off the mark.  

SC

Well, that is a surprise...

I'm still far from wrapping this one up but that does keep me in the hunt as I looked like fading away.

Golmard was probably my least logical pick, pretty much based off one unsourced tweet in French saying he had deteriorated. I wanted to have a unique in my team as well, but one other team picked him.

Forsyth and Cryne are necessities from here. I still think ultimately I'm going to fall slightly short. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Bert Trautmann said:

Well, that is a surprise...

I'm still far from wrapping this one up but that does keep me in the hunt as I looked like fading away.

Golmard was probably my least logical pick, pretty much based off one unsourced tweet in French saying he had deteriorated. I wanted to have a unique in my team as well, but one other team picked him.

Forsyth and Cryne are necessities from here. I still think ultimately I'm going to fall slightly short. 

You'll have an amazing DDP performance whether you win or lose. That's something to be proud about.

Congrats Bert! If I was in the place of you I would've picked Ricksen just because i'm unlogical like that :mellow:

On 23/04/2014 at 20:51, sympathyforthedevil said:

Here are some suggestions for tennis players who may die soon (due to advanced age):

• Bobbie Heine Miller: Born 04.12.1909, aged 104. Won the French doubles title in 1927 !!!
  • Gardnar Mulloy: Born 22.11.1913, aged 100. Oldest living tennis HOF member.
  • Dorothy Bundy Cheney: Born 01.09.1916, aged 97. Oldest living female Grand Slam singles champion.
  • Thelma Coyne Long: Born 14.10.1918, aged 95.
  • Welby Van Horn: Born 08.09.1920, aged 93.
  • Pancho Segura: Born 20.06.1921, aged 92.
  • Earl Cochell: Born 18.05.1922, aged 91. Only player barred for life by the US tennis association.
  • Patricia Canning Todd: Born 22.07.1922, aged 91.
  • Vic Seixas: Born 30.08.1923, aged 90. Oldest living male Grand Slam singles champion.
  • Budge Patty: Born 11.02.1924, aged 90.

Pancho Segura, an Ecuadorian-American tennis player, has died aged 96.

Edit: Daily Mail, The Times obituaries.

That is very sad news. Far too young to die. 

• Sad 1

My favourite along with Martina. Always wonderful to watch, even if it was through fingers at times, Jana made me shout at the television screen even more than the England football team. Absolutely gutted about the sad news. RIP. 

• Like 1

Roger Becker, a British Tennis player who was the youngest player to play for Great Britain at the Davis Cup at the age of 18 in 1952, a record which stood until 2005, has died aged 83.

• Like 1

For the fans and the morbidly curious, there will be a live stream of Jana Novotna's funeral tomorrow. 

It's actually a public funeral. Had I the money to travel or were anywhere near Brno at the moment I'd be going to pay my last respects to one of the true greats :bow:. Damn this death has hit me hard.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1