Lady Die

Tennis players

On 11/26/2017 at 19:29, Vinegar Tits said:

For the fans and the morbidly curious, there will be a live stream of Jana Novotna's funeral tomorrow. 

It's actually a public funeral. Had I the money to travel or were anywhere near Brno at the moment I'd be going to pay my last respects to one of the true greats :bow:. Damn this death has hit me hard.

That is because you are scared of death.

• Like 1

Actually, I'm not particularly scared of death. But I'm going to miss Jana Novotna so much. I don't think you know how much I adore tennis, and particularly that era of women's tennis.

American Ken Flach, who won 2 Wimbledon Men's Doubles Championships in the late 1980s with his partner Robert Seguso, has died aged a mere 54. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/ken-flach-olympic-gold-medalist-in-doubles-tennis-and-siue/article_a5519f81-2ab0-5b2a-8daa-8a4125f88ef2.html

Also Gold in Men's Doubles at the Seoul Olympics in 1988 and a Mixed Doubles Championship at Wimbledon in 1986 (with Kathy Jordan).

Whoa that's a bit of a shocker.

I have just done some research on winners of the Wimbledon singles titles and the results are the opposite to those that I observed in the actors category.

Here are the ten longest surviving since their first win players

Men

1948 Bob Falkenburg (b.1926)

1950 Budge Patty (b.1924)

1951 Dick Savitt ( b.1927)

1952 Frank Sedgman (b.1927)

1953 Vic Seixas (b.1923)

1955 Tony Trabert (b.1930)

1958 Ashley Cooper (b.1936)

1959 Alex Olmedo (b.1936)

1960 Neale Fraser (b.1933)

1961 Rod Laver (b.1938)

Ladies

1956 Shirley Fry (b.1927)

1961 Angela Mortimer (b.1932)

1962 Karen Susman (b.1942)

1963 Margaret Court (b.1942)

1966 Billie Jean King (b.1943)

1969 Ann Jones (b.1938)

1971 Evonne Cawley (b.1951)

1974 Chris Evert (b.1954)

1977 Virginia Wade (b.1945)

1978 Martina Navratilova (b.1956)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I have just done some research on winners of the Wimbledon singles titles and the results are the opposite to those that I observed in the actors category.

Men

Well put Tony's name in the 'People I Was Surprised To Find Were Alive'....I thought he died ...hell....quite a few years ago.
SC

• Like 1

Absolutely hate those tennis players, one of those nonce's swiped at me while i was just tryna find a seat at Wimbledon, just cus i swooped a little too close to the court

13 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Men

1948 Bob Falkenburg (b.1926)

1950 Budge Patty (b.1924)

1951 Dick Savitt ( b.1927)

1952 Frank Sedgman (b.1927)

1953 Vic Seixas (b.1923)

1958 Ashley Cooper (b.1936)

1959 Alex Olmedo (b.1936)

1960 Neale Fraser (b.1933)

1961 Rod Laver (b.1938)

Ladies

1956 Shirley Fry (b.1927)

1961 Angela Mortimer (b.1932)

1962 Karen Susman (b.1942)

1963 Margaret Court (b.1942)

1966 Billie Jean King (b.1943)

1969 Ann Jones (b.1938)

1971 Evonne Cawley (b.1951)

1974 Chris Evert (b.1954)

1977 Virginia Wade (b.1945)

1978 Martina Navratilova (b.1956)

The big discrepancy is because  Pre Open Era the best male player's might have only played Wimbledon 2-3 times before going Pro(ie ineligable to play in Slams), thus having a larger pool of former winners.Whereas their weren't as many options available for the women so Margaret Court,BJK,Maria Bueno etc were still competing at 3 or 4 of the Slams year in year out, even before the Open Era. You would have had a lot more female Slams winner's if say Margaret Court went Pro after 2 Australian Open win's and didn't play a Slam again until 68.

• Like 2

For some reason, I overlooked that Boris Becker had skin cancer surgery in October:

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Stories/61377/boris-becker-undergoes-successful-skin-cancer-surgery/

Plus there are his financial, legal and romantic problems, I might eventually have to create a thread for him.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

I might eventually have to create a thread for him.

Do I need to send you money?  Make a video of me praying on a mat?  Holding up placards like I'm in a Dylan video?  All the above? What do I have to do to stop this?

32 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Do I need to send you money?  Make a video of me praying on a mat?  Holding up placards like I'm in a Dylan video?  All the above? What do I have to do to stop this?

You cannot stop it. It's futile.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

You cannot stop it. It's futile.

All your base are now belong to us

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gcreptile said:

For some reason, I overlooked that Boris Becker had skin cancer surgery in October:

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Stories/61377/boris-becker-undergoes-successful-skin-cancer-surgery/

Not a melanoma so very little to worry about.

As for the rest of his woes, he's so bloody brazen he won't do anything silly.

Authorities say 8-year-old George Carter and his father, Peter Carter, were exercising some of the family's 24 cows at their home in Georgetown when one cow apparently became startled and trampled George.

SC

http://m.wcvb.com/news/father-doesnt-know-what-spooked-cow-that-killed-son/40345706

------------------------------------------------------
I post that to show it's the only instance of a Peter Carter being mentioned on DL.

A bovine death linked to tennis?
Snowflake Roger Federer STILL pining over his former coach, also named Peter Carter, who died in two thousand fucking two (2002).  GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF, man!

SC

Marco Trungelliti

Afraid to go back to his home country of Argentina. He reported to the TIU names who approached him about match fixing,apparently a few other players from the country had already been banned.

On 14/03/2019 at 16:18, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Ross' father Paul Hutchins, who was GB's longest serving Davis Cup captain:

https://twitter.com/DavidLawTennis/status/1106282404354891776

Obit for Paul Hutchins: http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/26267245/hutchins-ex-british-davis-cup-captain-dies-73 

Nicole Gibbs

The 26 year old wta player has been diagnosed with Salivary Gland Cancer

• Like 1

Nicole Gibbs, who reached No. 68 in the world in 2016 (I took the time to look that shit up! -_- ), will have to take a break, as the 26-year-old American has been diagnosed with a treatable form of cancer. It’s a rare one called mucoepidermoid carcinoma (salivary gland cancer), Gibbs wrote on Twitter Monday.
And it was discovered during a routine trip to the dentist.  Gibbs is slated for surgery on Friday. And she reports her surgeon says the removal of the growth should do the trick.  Her doctor even OKd her playing those tournaments.
SC

Ann Jones is watching the Edmund-Verdasco match.

Actually thought it was an aging rock star or Worzel Gummidge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Ann Jones is watching the Edmund-Verdasco match.

Actually thought it was an aging rock star or Worzel Gummidge.

Ladies champion 50 years ago - there's a few won it since her and carked by now

• Like 1