Lady Die

Tennis players

Yes, Martina's got Covid. Welcome fellow Covid sister (I got it on Friday :banghead:  ). Says she's feeling okay onTwitter.

All the oldies who attended looked well.

A number of the absentees are not surprising (Graf, Sampras for starters) but very interesting, and more significant for us, was that Virginia Wade was missing - though she does apparently live in the States these days, she normally wouldn't miss something like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Yes, Martina's got Covid. Welcome fellow Covid sister (I got it on Friday :banghead:  ). Says she's feeling okay onTwitter.

All the oldies who attended looked well.

A number of the absentees are not surprising (Graf, Sampras for starters) but very interesting, and more significant for us, was that Virginia Wade was missing - though she does apparently live in the States these days, she normally wouldn't miss something like this. 

That's a very good point. Did Sue Barker say anything about why she wasn't there? I know Martina got a shout out ("I'm sure she'll be watching" etc). 

• Like 1

Feel free to inspect this picture for aging tennis players:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

No sign of Jimmy Connors either. 

Doesn't necessarily mean anything. Unless he was commentating (does he commentate at the moment? Not sure) then I didn't expect him to be there. He's not as 'media' as McEnroe, nor does he turn up at legends exhibition events as much as McEnroe, Borg, etc. Same for why I mentioned Graf and Sampras in my earlier post - they've both kept very low profiles since retiring. And no Graf means no Agassi, so not surprised.

As I said, Virginia Wade is the big no-show. Everyone there looked in rude health, even Rod Laver looked less frail than he has done in recent years. Ann Jones in particular was positively spritely.

• Like 1

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Stories/86872/tennis-legend-guillermo-vilas-reported-to-be-suffering-from-alzheimer-s-disease/

4 time Grand Slam Winner Guillermo Vilas who turns 70 next month has been battling Alzheimer Disease.   Would explain how he went from someone you would always see in the front row at Slam matches,to largely absent from events the last few years.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Doesn't necessarily mean anything. Unless he was commentating (does he commentate at the moment? Not sure) then I didn't expect him to be there. He's not as 'media' as McEnroe, nor does he turn up at legends exhibition events as much as McEnroe, Borg, etc. Same for why I mentioned Graf and Sampras in my earlier post - they've both kept very low profiles since retiring. And no Graf means no Agassi, so not surprised.

As I said, Virginia Wade is the big no-show. Everyone there looked in rude health, even Rod Laver looked less frail than he has done in recent years. Ann Jones in particular was positively spritely.

Agree with all of that. I don't think Connors is a current commentator. Ann Jones has looked pretty much the same for the last 50 years. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Feel free to inspect this picture for aging tennis players:

Anyone standing there is in good enough health to do so and is therefore to be taken from any consideration. 

• Like 2

At that ceremony all players walked out un-aided and stood there for a good half hour/45 minutes. So all seem healthy.

Interesting note from the commentary on one match yesterday via doubles champ Todd Woodbridge...Frank Sedgman was supposed to attend this year to celebrate the anniversary of winning all three tournaments (singles, doubles & mixed) in one year. But at the last minute made the decision not to come...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Movies&Tennis said:

At that ceremony all players walked out un-aided and stood there for a good half hour/45 minutes. So all seem healthy.

Interesting note from the commentary on one match yesterday via doubles champ Todd Woodbridge...Frank Sedgman was supposed to attend this year to celebrate the anniversary of winning all three tournaments (singles, doubles & mixed) in one year. But at the last minute made the decision not to come...

We’ll he is 94 and presumably still lives in Australia even being well enough to Consider coming is shows a decent level of health. 

• Like 1

Virginia Wade Watch - she's just turned up in the Sue Barker tribute looking exactly as she has done for the last 30 years and most definitely not ill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vinegar Tits said:

Virginia Wade Watch - she's just turned up in the Sue Barker tribute looking exactly as she has done for the last 30 years and most definitely not ill.

Has Sue Barker died then?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redrumours said:

Has Sue Barker died then?

Retiring from presenting.

• Like 1

Rod Laver looking well earlier congratulating Djockavic. 84 next month. I think he's at least another 10 years in him

• Like 1

On 10/07/2022 at 23:30, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Rod Laver looking well earlier congratulating Djockavic. 84 next month. I think he's at least another 10 years in him

He's had a few health scares in the past, and has on occasion looked decidedly frail, but he seems to have got a second wind. Not sure about another ten years but he's looking well.

• Like 1

Naresh Kumar, former India Davis Cup captain who featured in the main rounds of Grand Slam events in the 50s, has died aged 93.

• Like 2

South African tennis player and coach Leon Norgarb has died aged 96; he is, apparently unique in the world of sport as the only person to play in the majors of both tennis (Wimbledon & French Open) and golf (the Open, as a qualifier). He was also a South African Davis Cup player. 

He created ripples in apartheid-era South Africa by inviting Evonne Goolagong to play an exhibition, and  garnered support for Arthur Ashe to enter the country.

• Like 2

On 04/11/2021 at 13:50, arghton said:

https://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-famers/inductees/jane-brown-grimes

Jane Brown Grimes, tennis executive has died at the age of 80. She was the President of the US Tennis Association 2007-2008.

She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame, Contributor category in 2014 along with John Barrett (1931-) and Nick Bollettieri (1931-)

Nick Bollettieri reportedly dead: https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Stories/124359/legendary-coach-nick-bollettieri-passes-away/

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:
On 04/11/2021 at 13:50, arghton said:

https://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-famers/inductees/jane-brown-grimes

Jane Brown Grimes, tennis executive has died at the age of 80. She was the President of the US Tennis Association 2007-2008.

She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame, Contributor category in 2014 along with John Barrett (1931-) and Nick Bollettieri (1931-)

Nick Bollettieri reportedly dead: https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Stories/124359/legendary-coach-nick-bollettieri-passes-away/

Actually not sure of that source mind you. Recent twitters suggest he might still be alive, but he is on the verge of pegging it, so off your lists for 2023.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Actually not sure of that source mind you. Recent twitters suggest he might still be alive, but he is on the verge of pegging it, so off your lists for 2023.

Not sure if dead yet, but here's a facebook post from some hours ago

bolletieri.thumb.jpg.2b998bb8c3a88721db632268dcc5e4cd.jpg

Probably a matter of days or hours.

Edit: He's also been in hospice since atleast August.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, arghton said:

Well I’m sure people are hoping he could sneak to the Advent Avalanche starting line. We’ll see if that’ll happen…

• Like 1

Didn't know he was Schrodinger's coach too.

How long before that article goes 404?

3 hours ago, arghton said:

Edit: He's also been in hospice since atleast August.

Dead on Wikipedia now, too, although I can find no Obit from another source besides the same Tennis World story that YoungWillz posted. 

Edit: This has now been reverted, but he is still listed on the Deaths in 2022 page.

• Like 1

Nick is "fighting hard" and "still kicking" according to friends on Twitter.

Hopefully the Advent Avalanche winning pick.

• Like 1

Did Bollettieri die yesterday? His wikipedia lists his death as December 4th. I was googling an update of him, no actual updated death news stories.

• Like 1