Lady Die

Tennis players

13 minutes ago, lilham said:

Did Bollettieri die yesterday? His wikipedia lists his death as December 4th. I was googling an update of him, no actual updated death news stories.

Probably true, Tommy Haas posted this insta tribute two hours ago and Twitter is saying he did die…

• Like 2

Looks like I'm unusually swift to this, as my mum just mentioned it on her phone. Martina Navratilova has been diagnosed with both throat and breast cancer, following discovery of a lump on a lymph node in November. Further explorations have found suspicious tissue in her breast too. Hoping for a "favourable outcome".

Previously got the all-clear following breast cancer treatment in 2010. A forum's-worth of deathlisters ask "why didn't she tell us in November?"!

Link to article on the Daily Fail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11592179/Wimbledon-great-Martina-Navratilova-66-diagnosed-throat-breast-cancer.html

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

10 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Looks like I'm unusually swift to this, as my mum just mentioned it on her phone. Martina Navratilova has been diagnosed with both throat and breast cancer, following discovery of a lump on a lymph node in November. Further explorations have found suspicious tissue in her breast too. Hoping for a "favourable outcome".

Previously got the all-clear following breast cancer treatment in 2010. A forum's-worth of deathlisters ask "why didn't she tell us in November?"!

Link to article on the Daily Fail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11592179/Wimbledon-great-Martina-Navratilova-66-diagnosed-throat-breast-cancer.html

Stage One throat cancer and early stage breast cancer. 90% five year survival rate for Stage 1 throat cancer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Stage One throat cancer and early stage breast cancer. 90% five year survival rate for Stage 1 throat cancer. 

Martina's quoted as saying it's "serious but fixable" with the silence following that sentence being interpreted as "and all those dead poolers can fuck off for the time being!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Breast cancer returning isn't usually a good sign. Throat cancer is a bugger but treatable if caught early - for example, French singer Véronique Sanson was diagnosed with it in 2018, had treatment and seems to have been on a never-ending tour since.

All the best for Martina - she is the GOAT (I will accept no arguments) and one of the few tennis players I adore that I've never seen playing or in person.

• Like 2

Martina, could you have pleased announced this like...three days ago. That would have been amazing, lol.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Martina's quoted as saying it's "serious but fixable" with the silence following that sentence being interpreted as "and all those dead poolers can fuck off for the time being!"

Chances are, even if it's as ominous as it could be, she'll not go downhill swiftly enough to not be a contender in 2024 and beyond. But certainly one to watch, especially, as Vinegar says, because a reccurence of cancer is rarely a good thing.

Hope it's fixable, she's a knowledgeable tennis commentator, and a decent human being as far as I can see. And unlike Vinegar, I have seen her play, albeit in one of the seniors events at Wimbledon last year. Her 9 singles titles at SW19 is still unmatched by Federer, Sampras, Serena or Djokovic.

• Like 1

Her first battle with Breast Cancer was a DCIS tumour. It sounds like this one is a proper tumour.

I seriously considered Vic Seixas for the 2023 Immortal class. This guy seemed to be on his very last legs in 2018. Here he is last September:

Vic Seixas, at age 99 the oldest living Grand Slam tennis champion, poses for a photo at his home in Mill Valley.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drol said:

I seriously considered Vic Seixas for the 2023 Immortal class. This guy seemed to be on his very last legs in 2018. Here he is last September:

Vic Seixas, at age 99 the oldest living Grand Slam tennis champion, poses for a photo at his home in Mill Valley.

If he gets to August he'll be 100. Will he make it? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

If he gets to August he'll be 100. Will he make it? 

Possibly, but something for us all to remember is that not everyone makes it to 100 or is beyond 100.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, drol said:

Because I'm saying this he'll probably drop dead soon, but he doesn't look too bad to me at all for a person of his age.  I don't see gaunt face or even gaunt body, really.  Looks better to me than, say, Pope Benedict did years ago, even.  So we'll see.  

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 18:21, Ulitzer95 said:

Is that your own research? Because there are others. Fair, some are only amateur but a few other pros:

Joan Curry b. 1918, is still alive. As is Frank Okey, b. 1919, John Pearce b. 1923, Boebi van Meegeren b. 1924, Eduardo Soriano b. 1924, Geoff Brown b. 1924, Barbara Scofield b. 1926 etc. etc.

Eduardo Soriano was born in 1936 according to his Spanish wiki article.

1 minute ago, drol said:

Eduardo Soriano was born in 1936 according to his Spanish wiki article.

Yeah, spotted this ages ago. Seen both 1924 and 1936 being used for him. I think the latter is more plausible, don't you think?

All the people he played with were born in the late 30s, so I think 1936 is correct.

• Like 2

On 06/01/2023 at 15:58, tracy said:

Dick Savitt morre aos 95 anos

He was champion of the Australian Open and Wimbledom in 1951, the latter being the oldest champion, we no longer have living champions from 1951 behind, the oldest living now is Vic Seixas, 1952 champion

• Like 1

On 07/01/2023 at 17:09, drol said:

All the people he played with were born in the late 30s, so I think 1936 is correct.

I've uploaded his immigration card here. Confirms he was born in Buenos Aires in 1936.

• Like 2

Billie Jean King looks quite frail now a days. At the Australian Open this morning she needed help getting down the steps from the podium where she gave the trophy out.

Ken Rosewall is at the Australian Open Men's Final. He looks pretty old but is 88 in fairness. He's sitting next to John Newcombe who looks in rude health. Here's a photo of Rosewall. 

FnoIZnDaMAAhKsM.jpeg.jpg

Here's also a photo from a couple of days ago of Ken Rosewall (88), Rod Laver (84), Neale Fraser (89) and Frank Sedgman (95) at the Australian Open.

It would be hard to find another sport (apart from possibly Golf) where so many leading players make it into such advanced years in relatively decent health. 

FnTW6O6aEAAHMO-.jpeg.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, diego said:

Catherine Bonnet, a former tennis player from New Caledonia, died at the age of 57 on 5/2 She was not very successful ,conquering only 1 ITF, which is a minor title

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/nouvellecaledonie/requins-haussaire-transport-scolaire-athletisme-l-actu-a-la-1-du-lundi-6-fevrier-2023-1363966.html

That’ alright, she tried.

• Like 1