Lady Die

Tennis players

Enrique Morea, Argentinian winner of the Mixed Doubles at the French Open (1950), and 3 time runner up at Wimbledon (1952, 1953, 1955), has died aged 92. I believe he was picked in one of the pools.

Malcolm Huntington, only locally successful tennis player, but much more famous as an umpire who oversaw several Wimbledon finals and famously clashed with John McEnroe (but then, who didn't?), now dead at 82:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/15254677.Tennis_umpire_who_sparked_a_McEnroe_tantrum_has_died/

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Malcolm Huntington, only locally successful tennis player, but much more famous as an umpire who oversaw several Wimbledon finals and famously clashed with John McEnroe (but then, who didn't?), now dead at 82:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/15254677.Tennis_umpire_who_sparked_a_McEnroe_tantrum_has_died/

You cannot be serious!

• Like 2

Ashes to ashes, dust flew up...

23 hours ago, msc said:

You cannot be serious!

Can't imagine where you got that one liner from.  

SC

I rather suspect we're all ripping off paying homage to the same tennis legend. B)

• Like 1

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/tennis-becker-wrecker-peter-doohan-diagnosed-with-mnd/news-story/ed2691c5bf8d5e766a3e8710f7b4eb67

Peter Doohan, who had one of the biggest upsets ever at Wimbledon when he knocked out Boris Becker in  the 2nd round in1987, posted in May he has MND and his doctors told him he has months to live.

Thanks for the reminder to unplug the telly for three weeks. 

Not the only tennis player in the news for cancer recently. Two time mixed doubles champion John Lloyd has been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Really enjoying Wimbledon. When will the English gain a singles player of note again to win on home soil?

Andy Murray (b. Scotland)

Johanna Konta (b. Australia)

Aljaz Bedene (b. Slovenia)

Heather Watson (b. Channel Islands)

Kyle Edmund (b. South Africa)

Out:

James Ward (b. London)

Laura Robson (b. Australia)

Cameron Norrie (b. South Africa)

Katie Boulter (b. Leicester)

Naomi Broady (b. Stockport)

Brydan Klein (b. Australia)

Alex Ward (b. Northampton)

If you want a serious answer, YW, when the LTA stops being run by an out of touch clique, and young players are taught based on merit and talent rather than having the money to pursue the (expensive) sport, or actually qualify for one of their very stringent quota systems for training up kids. So, February the 2nd of never.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Really enjoying Wimbledon. When will the English gain a singles player of note again to win on home soil?

Out:

James Ward (b. London)

I believe only Konta and Bedene are cases of someone who became tennis pro's somewhere else then were payed to represent GB later. Kyle Edmund for example has lived in England since he was 3.

12 minutes ago, msc said:

If you want a serious answer, YW, when the LTA stops being run by an out of touch clique, and young players are taught based on merit and talent rather than having the money to pursue the (expensive) sport, or actually qualify for one of their very stringent quota systems for training up kids. So, February the 2nd of never.

The Brits relying on who your family is, who you went to school with, how much money you have? Surely not...:lol:

2 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

I believe only Konta and Bedene are cases of someone who became tennis pro's somewhere else then were payed to represent GB later. Kyle Edmund for example has lived in England since he was 3.

I was teasing of course. Edmund is still an incomer though....:biggrin:

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Out:

James Ward (b. London)

Heather Watson's from Guernsey which is both a crown dependency and English, right?

Kind of depends who you talk to. They raise their own taxes but their police force are part of the English police set up, sort of thing.

52 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Heather Watson's from Guernsey which is both a crown dependency and English, right?

Kind of depends who you talk to. They raise their own taxes but their police force are part of the English police set up, sort of thing.

Good point. I'd have thought if they were a Crown Dependency they would be distinct in that regard from England.

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Good point. I'd have thought if they were a Crown Dependency they would be distinct in that regard from England.

Yeah, it ain't simple but from the Wikipedia page:

The jurisdiction is not part of the United Kingdom, although defence and most foreign relations are handled by the British Government.[4]

The entire jurisdiction lies within the Common Travel Area of the British Isles and is not a member of the European Union, but has a special relationship with it, being treated as part of the European Community with access to the single market for the purposes of free trade in goods.

So, you could sum it up by saying the Channel Islands take advantage/the piss out of the UK the way the Brexiteers want the UK to take advantage/take the piss out of the EU

• Like 2

I dont know if it has been reported here but John Lloyd has been battling prostate cancer.Seems he is over the worst of it.

On 22 June 2016 at 19:11, the_engineer said:

Anyone hear or seen recent pics of Marion Bartoli that has got to be the most shocking transformation i have ever seen . She looks 30 years older.

Seems to me Marion is one of those girls who are naturally a bit chunky and her being thin makes her look unnatural and she now looks like a cancer patient or a drug addict .

I was probably one of the few who thought she was reasonably attractive before the weight loss, she was cute not a stunner but Now she looks awful. I wonder if she is ill or maybe has issues , rumours for years about her being 'close' to her father etc . One to keep an eye on for the future that's for sure.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3651907/She-doesn-t-look-healthy-Fans-Wimbledon-star-Marion-Bartoli-Twitter-express-concern-dramatic-weight-loss.html

Just seen her on Today at Wimbledon - whatever the problem was she is over it - plenty of meat on her bones now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Just seen her on Today at Wimbledon - whatever the problem was she is over it - plenty of meat on her bones now!

Yea she really looks like her old self.  She probably just eat pies, McDonalds  and ice cream for a whole year and she looks better for it.  Some people aren't built to be thin and Marion is certainly one of them.

On the eve of the Wimbledon Men's Final, quite noticeable how many of the old men's champions are still alive at an advanced age. By my reckoning: 

1948 - Bob Falkenberg (b. 1926) 

1950 - Budge Patty (b. 1924) 

1951 - Dick Savitt (b. 1927) 

1952 - Frank Sedgman (b. 1927)

1953 - Vic Seixas (b. 1923) 

1955 - Tony Trabert (b. 1930) 

1958 - Ashley Cooper (b. 1936)

1959 - Alex Olmedo (b. 1936) 

1960 - Neale Fraser (b. 1933) 

You've also got Laver and Rosewall plus defeated 1946 finalist Geoff Brown (b. 1924) still going. On the Women's side, the oldest living Wimbledon singles champion seems to be Shirley Fry (b. 1927) who won in 1956. Overall, seems like a much larger haul of nonagenarians and late octogenarians than you'd get in Football or Cricket from that era for example. 

• Like 3

On 2.7.2017 at 20:58, CaptainChorizo said:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/tennis-becker-wrecker-peter-doohan-diagnosed-with-mnd/news-story/ed2691c5bf8d5e766a3e8710f7b4eb67

Peter Doohan, who had one of the biggest upsets ever at Wimbledon when he knocked out Boris Becker in  the 2nd round in1987, posted in May he has MND and his doctors told him he has months to live.

Dead.

http://nationalpost.com/g00/pmn/sports-pmn/former-australian-tennis-pro-peter-doohan-dead-at-56/wcm/9a27f085-0d98-446e-bbfe-9bc7ca213152?i10c.referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.il%2F