Lady Die

Duchess of Kent

2 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

That BBC link I posted earlier that said she was there has now removed her as an attendee.

Maybe someone at the BBC reads or posts  here....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

The Duchess of Kent was definitely not at the first service going by this Daily Mail guest list breakdown of names    

Editing to highlight that Princess Alexandra was not at the Westminster Abbey Service eìther but she was at the Windsor Service. 

image.thumb.png.e3b42b94274bf0856a48a9a8e0bf02ec.png

Future Scavenger Hunt category?

People who attended The Queen's Funeral

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Future Scavenger Hunt category?

People who attended The Queen's Funeral

Good suggestion.  I take it you mean the full 2000 and not just this photo?

I wonder how many people who attended  Princess Dianas funeral or The Queen Mothers have passed away?

4 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Good suggestion.  I take it you mean the full 2000 and not just this photo?

I wonder how many people who attended  Princess Dianas funeral or The Queen Mothers have passed away?

Quite a lot particularly for the Queen Mother I would imagine. 

Diana's funeral:

The ceremony at Westminster Abbey opened at 11:00 BST and lasted one hour and ten minutes. The royal family placed wreaths alongside Diana's coffin in the presence of Britain's living former prime ministers – John Major, Margaret Thatcher, James Callaghan and Edward Heath – and former Conservative MP Winston Churchill, the grandson of World War II-era Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill.[25] International guests included Sir Cliff Richard, US First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, William J. Crowe, French First Lady Bernadette Chirac, Egyptian First Lady Suzanne Mubarak, Queen Noor of Jordan, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Sir Elton John, George Michael, Chris de Burgh, Michael Barrymore, Mariah Carey, Richard Branson, Luciano Pavarotti, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Richard Attenborough, Ruby Wax, as well as Imran Khan and his then wife, Jemima Khan.[25][26][27] The prime minister, Tony Blair, read an excerpt from First Epistle to the Corinthians, Chapter 13: "And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love".[28] Among other invitees were the King of Spain, Princess Margriet of the Netherlands, the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan, the deposed King Constantine II of Greece, and South Africa president Nelson Mandela.[29]

The Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey, and the Dean of Westminster, Wesley Carr, were also present in the abbey and delivered the bidding, the prayers, and the commendation.[30] The service was sung by the Choir of Westminster Abbey and conducted by Organist and Master of the Choristers, Martin Neary; the organist was Martin Baker.[30] Music before the service included the hymn

Quite a lot, including George Michael, Pavarotti, the three former PMs and Nelson Mandela for starters.

Future scavenger hunt definitely. Can't believe Michael Barrymore was there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Diana's funeral:

The ceremony at Westminster Abbey opened at 11:00 BST and lasted one hour and ten minutes. The royal family placed wreaths alongside Diana's coffin in the presence of Britain's living former prime ministers – John Major, Margaret Thatcher, James Callaghan and Edward Heath – and former Conservative MP Winston Churchill, the grandson of World War II-era Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill.[25] International guests included Sir Cliff Richard, US First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton and former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, William J. Crowe, French First Lady Bernadette Chirac, Egyptian First Lady Suzanne Mubarak, Queen Noor of Jordan, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Sir Elton John, George Michael, Chris de Burgh, Michael Barrymore, Mariah Carey, Richard Branson, Luciano Pavarotti, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Richard Attenborough, Ruby Wax, as well as Imran Khan and his then wife, Jemima Khan.[25][26][27] The prime minister, Tony Blair, read an excerpt from First Epistle to the Corinthians, Chapter 13: "And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love".[28] Among other invitees were the King of Spain, Princess Margriet of the Netherlands, the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Japan, the deposed King Constantine II of Greece, and South Africa president Nelson Mandela.[29]

The Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey, and the Dean of Westminster, Wesley Carr, were also present in the abbey and delivered the bidding, the prayers, and the commendation.[30] The service was sung by the Choir of Westminster Abbey and conducted by Organist and Master of the Choristers, Martin Neary; the organist was Martin Baker.[30] Music before the service included the hymn

Quite a lot, including George Michael, Pavarotti, the three former PMs and Nelson Mandela for starters.

I think Mandela turned down his invitation as I can’t find any evidence of him attending and surely they would be pictures . 

But from that list also Winston Churchill, William J Crowe, Richard Attenborough and Wesley Carr.

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

The Duchess of Kent was definitely not at the first service going by this Daily Mail guest list breakdown of names    

Editing to highlight that Princess Alexandra was not at the Westminster Abbey Service eìther but she was at the Windsor Service. 

Do you have this on authority? I know she's not listed by the Daily Mail there, but is this not her a couple of rows further back? (This row is not named on the Mail's photo).

Edit: the bloke next to her looks like her son James going off Google...

Screenshot_20220919-143409_Samsung Internet.jpg

5 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Do you have this on authority? I know she's not listed by the Daily Mail there, but is this not her a couple of rows further back? (This row is not named on the Mail's photo).

She was there. The Mail just missed the entire Ogilvy branch.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I have already posted comment about this up thread. My comment was based on my mistaken  impression that the Daily Mail had covered the totality of the royal family branches.   

Yes that is her  handsome son James Ogilvy father of the equally handsome  Alex Ogilvy. :wub:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Diana's funeral:

Yeah but you need to be careful using hos name alongside dead and pool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Lots. 

On 19/09/2022 at 20:19, Octopus of Odstock said:

I would imagine those still alive who were at King George's funeral must be in single digits now.

I know that the Duke of Kent and Princess Astrid of Norway attended the funeral of George VI; both of them are still alive.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, heiheiheihei said:

I know that the Duke of Kent and Princess Astrid of Norway attended the funeral of George VI; both of them are still alive.

They might be the only two. Wiki says 15 year old Princess Alexandra did not attend.

• Like 2

On 25/09/2022 at 12:11, The Old Crem said:

They might be the only two. Wiki says 15 year old Princess Alexandra did not attend.

The Prince of Liège, later known as King Albert II of Belgium, who abdicated in 2013, also attended the funeral. As far as I know, the Duke of Kent, Princess Astrid of Norway, and King Albert II are the only three dignitaries still alive who attended the funeral.

Here is a picture of then-Crown Prince Olav of Norway, later King Olav V, and his daughter Princess Astrid of Norway arriving for the funeral. 

421FAC37-35C5-45F8-A21B-C41992094582.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks better than the Duke of Kent, though that's not necessarily a tall order

• Like 2
  • Haha 1