M.Lawrenson

Doris Day

What a phenomenal life she led. R.I.P.

Whatever will be, will be...

• Like 2

The last person mentioned in 'Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee' to go.

Sad news. I'd hoped she make 100. 

• Like 3

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 17:10, CoffinLodger said:

Whip crackaway Whip crackaway Whip crackaway !:birthday:

Calamity Jane was always one of my favourite films !

I will watch it later today in her memory ! Goodbye to a living legend and amazing, lovely person!

• Like 1

I'm too young to really know her and her acting career, but her voice is legendary through these songs. RIP.

• Like 2

Only Vera Lynn alive who had a Top 10 UK hit in 1952, the first year of the official charts.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

BBC breaking - they've doubtless got loads of content ready on this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48257670

They do, however, omit saying that DL now needs a poll on the third casualty of the year 

I wonder if obituary ever look on here to see who they need to prepare ones for.

Also her obituary gets it's own BBC Breaking News tweet (Separate to one announcing her death) which is pretty rare and only done a few times a year at most.

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Only Vera Lynn alive who had a Top 10 UK hit in 1952, the first year of the official charts.

Kind of cheating given they only ran for a few weeks of that year and had 12 hits a week.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Kind of cheating given they only ran for a few weeks of that year and had 12 hits a week.

It's an interesting fact though, ha!

I have 7 possible living folk from 1953 who had their first top 10 hit, the first full year of the UK charts. However despite my best efforts, I'm only sure that 3 of them are definitely alive.

Edit: Doesn't include session musicians or individual members of orchestras.

Doris Day as the second hit - never expected both of that!

Awww... such a sweet lady,

punished by our collective sigh of relief - finally a 2nd hit!

She doesn't deserve to be ghouled over - but at least she had a long life, and was in good health until last year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Crikey.Was not expecting her to be the next hit.

Was not excepting a second hit at all.

Is it  normal to be in floods of tears over the death of a 97  year old actress? Just asking for a friend...

• Like 1

Also no funeral or memorial service will be held (So not opportunity to form spot any elderly famous people who might have attended).

13 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Also no funeral or memorial service will be held (So not opportunity to form spot any elderly famous people who might have attended).

Kirk Douglas and Olivia de Havilland might have waltzed in to the chapel...

According to a variety of news reports it is Doris Days wish that she has no funeral, no memorial service and no marked grave stone. 

• Like 1

RIP to a Hollywood legend.

• Like 1

Don't know about anyone else here, but I became familiar with her films and music in childhood and you never really forget them. A true legend for sure.

RIP Calamity Jane

RIP and thanks for all the wonderful memories and I hope she meet up with her old pal Rock.

6qyk6z7u.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Weebl said:

Don't know about anyone else here, but I became familiar with her films and music in childhood and you never really forget them. A true legend for sure.

RIP Calamity Jane

Jesus, how old are you? Are you obitable?

• Haha 4
  • Angry 1

Also I am pleasantly surprised how much coverage she has received here in the UK. Top headline on the BBC news website and second on Sky News, top headline on BBC radio for example.

I haven't heard it yet but fellow member of the 2019 death list Dick Van Dyke was on the radio paying tribute to her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

I haven't heard it yet but fellow member of the 2019 death list Dick Van Dyke was on the radio paying tribute to her.

For the Scots among us:

Just a wee Dick-an'-Doris, Before we gang away.....

I'm wondering why it's been more than 24 hours and still nobody has posted anything other than "Details to follow." There must be a lot of speculation going on about the pacing of the remainder of the year, considering that it's already May and we have had only two successes. Admittedly of all the long-lived celebrities, Doris Day hits rather hard because she managed to stay relevant until very recently. She's one of the few celebrities who will be remembered for the things she did all during her long life rather than simply for one thing, although one person may remember her as Calamity Jane and another person for another thing. Personally, I remember her for her singing career. And, at long last, she's taken that sentimental journey home.