maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

29 minutes ago, drol said:

Johnny Clegg cancels scheduled gigs till July because he's undertaking a "lenghty and complex treatment".

Hmm - he still thinks re-starting in the summer a goer though,

I think Morgan Tsangarai is on my DDP bench and Clegg is on the pitch

On 28.2.2018 at 18:28, FixedBusiness said:

A little update on Clegg

Announces his last show will be in Zimbabwe in May.

I think Clegg will be the big will-he-or-won't-he pick this year. If he survives the year, he won't last until summer 2019.

• Like 2

Always had a feeling there was a chance for him to die in 2018, but I was more interested in Smith and Tsvangirai for my 8 pointers, who both already died. It’ll be interesting to see how he goes this year. If he makes 2019, a near certain drop 40 candidate imo...

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Better report this here - you won't hear about a cult hero irish piper pegging out on this week's over-stuffed Last Word

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43404575

Planxty fan here, so quite sad about this.

These 60s and 70s Irish folkies tend not to make old bones, as evidenced by the mass deceased ranks of The Dubliners, The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem, etc.

O'Flynn's old bandmate Christy Moore, 73, never the healthiest looking of people, is worth a mention here. He's still touring, but has had significant health issues in the past, including alcoholism. 

15 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

These 60s and 70s Irish folkies tend not to make old bones, as evidenced by the mass deceased ranks of The Dubliners, The Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem, etc.

O'Flynn's old bandmate Christy Moore, 73, never the healthiest looking of people, is worth a mention here. He's still touring, but has had significant health issues in the past, including alcoholism. 

Aye, a fair point re their longevity - no mystery mind

Do these guys look like strangers to a decent drink? Rant over!

61n1CSraq3L._SY355_.jpg

21 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Its the Irish lifestyle of excessive drinking and smoking and in general being cool that makes them die earlier. Christy Moore won't make it to 80 and neither will Van Morrison. Of the two I see Van Morrison going first.

Edited by DevonDeathTrip

19 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Better report this here - you won't hear about a cult hero irish piper pegging out on this week's over-stuffed Last Word

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43404575

Reported in dead pop star thread well afore.

Not 'folk' to some but 'pop'.

Pop stands for 'popular'. .....

Martin Cockerham of Spirogyra has passed away... what a great musician he was.

Spirogyra....Now THERE'S a band who's name I haven't heard in a long while.  I used to listen to them, but somehow they fell by the wayside.  Think I'll drudge up a couple albums worth today.
SC

On 3/15/2018 at 11:19, charon said:

Reported in dead pop star thread well afore.

Not 'folk' to some but 'pop'.

Pop stands for 'popular'. .....

Agreed.  Pop or even jazz, but not country or folk.  

There's two bands with variations on that name:

Firstly, Spirogyra, a UK acid-folk act associated with the Canterbury Scene. They put out three albums in the early 1970s to little success, and reformed a few year ago. Barbara Gaskin was the most notable member.

Secondly Spiro Gyra, the US jazz fusion act. Former around the time the other act folded for the first time, still going. Had a big hit in the late 1970s with Morning Dance.

• Thanks 1

OK I thought it a bit odd it was one word.  Learn something new every day here on DL.

We might want to start form studying where Don - American Pie - McLean is concerned. The 72 year old combover king has in the past been known to be fond of a drink or twelve and is currently restrained from harrassing estranged wife Patrisha after she claimed physical abuse against him.

In the meantime the lingerie model Paris Dylan, originally hired to handle his social media, now appears to be his partner. Cynicism suggests it's maybe a load of bollocks designed to drag two fairly mediocre careers into the tabloids but if it isn't then surely his ticker is on borrowed time.

4A37238300000578-5504773-Don_and_Paris_s

Just now, gcreptile said:

Irish Folk singer Mary Black has shingles:

https://www.hotpress.com/Mary-Black/news/Mary-Black-Cancels-Gigs-Due-To-Ill-Health/21988862.html

She also has a throat and ear infection, a.k.a. "sniffles".

NOT THE SNIFFLES! DEAR GOD! ONTO THE SHORTLISTS NOW!

Next you'll be telling me she's somehow caught manflu and all.

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9.4.2018 at 16:49, maryportfuncity said:

We might want to start form studying where Don - American Pie - McLean is concerned. The 72 year old combover king has in the past been known to be fond of a drink or twelve and is currently restrained from harrassing estranged wife Patrisha after she claimed physical abuse against him.

In the meantime the lingerie model Paris Dylan, originally hired to handle his social media, now appears to be his partner. Cynicism suggests it's maybe a load of bollocks designed to drag two fairly mediocre careers into the tabloids but if it isn't then surely his ticker is on borrowed time.

In good form and "not a monster":

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/may/08/don-mclean-bridgewater-hall-manchester

On 15/03/2018 at 15:10, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, a fair point re their longevity - no mystery mind

Do these guys look like strangers to a decent drink? Rant over!

61n1CSraq3L._SY355_.jpg

I was trying to think up something witty to say about the metropolitan Police, mass hysteria in the 1970s over anything vaguely Gaelic & innocent Irish men being fitted up for crimes they didn't do,but unfortunately I drew a complete blank.Good job they always got back to their hotels safely after their gigs in Kilburn :-/

On 09/04/2018 at 15:49, maryportfuncity said:

I don't know what Don sees in her? I mean,take away the pretty face,the pneumatic bosom and the 'hot as hell' ass and what have you got?? He needs help 

1 hour ago, TheFunkyPhantom said:

I don't know what Don sees in her? I mean,take away the pretty face,the pneumatic bosom and the 'hot as hell' ass and what have you got?? He needs help 

images.jpg

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

images.jpg

images.jpeg

On 20/09/2016 at 21:45, gcreptile said:

Dick Gaughan, Scottish folk singer, isn't sure but thinks he has had a stroke.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/fans-rally-round-after-illness-hits-folk-icon-dick-gaughan.22613

His agent says that they don't know exactly what, but something isn't right. Please donate to his crowdfunding page.

Going through my longlist...

There was a tribute concert for him in February. He also appeared on stage, "frail in every aspect of his appearance":

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/paying-due-tribute (Yes, a link to the morning star online!)

• Like 1