maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

10 hours ago, Handrejka said:

Maartin Allcock has terminal liver cancer.

http://www.maartinallcock.com/main.htm

Likely obitable enough for the Advent Avalanche (assuming it kicks off)

Whether he has a chance of being alive enough...hmmm

I keep forgetting Roger Whittaker is still alive (82 last March) - Just saw someone discussing it on Facebook

640-Roger-Whittaker-2010-4-web.jpg

• Like 1

Listening to an interview with Judy Dyble (first singer with Fairport Convention) on Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone. She's only 69 and still singing pretty well but she mentioned "various health problems" now stopping her touring. 

Anyone know owt - cos her website and Wikipedia aren't very forthcoming on this. 

Shoo-in obitable given how influential the band became.

On 02/07/2018 at 10:36, maryportfuncity said:

Listening to an interview with Judy Dyble (first singer with Fairport Convention) on Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone. She's only 69 and still singing pretty well but she mentioned "various health problems" now stopping her touring. 

Anyone know owt - cos her website and Wikipedia aren't very forthcoming on this. 

Shoo-in obitable given how influential the band became.

She's had emphysema for a long time, so one to keep on our radar.  I think she said about ten years ago that she couldn't walk and talk at the same time...

PS I'm off to Cropredy next month MPFC for the first time in years, mainly to see Brian Wilson & Friends perform Pet Sounds, but will keep an eye out for ailing folkies and report back. 

3 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I think she said about ten years ago that she couldn't walk and talk at the same time...

Hey be careful, getting a little close to home to a handful of folks in here.  Or was that walk and chew gum...?

4 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

This is an example of 'it's ok to let some of them go without posting'.   :)  imho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Lou Curtiss, mentor to a cross-section of San Diego's top musical artists and a record store owner with an encyclopedic knowledge of roots music, has died.  He was 79.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/music/sd-me-music-lou-curtiss-20180710-story.html

Dude, leave the local stuff alone.  A record store owner? Zero impact on anyone not living in San Diego.  Too niche.

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Dude, leave the local stuff alone.  A record store owner? Zero impact on anyone not living in San Diego.  Too niche.

Says the guy who posts a lot about unknown university presidents and local politicians...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Says the guy who posts a lot about unknown university presidents and local politicians...

They're university presidents.  Don't be a fucking asshole.  Someone made a thread, I populate it.  you got a problem ask a Mod to delete the fucking thread.  Until then pound sand up your ass.  
What they aren't is a high school principal.  Which is what the record store owner is.  Just some local dude.

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

They're university presidents.  Don't be a fucking asshole.  Someone made a thread, I populate it.  you got a problem ask a Mod to delete the fucking thread.  Until then pound sand up your ass.  
What they aren't is a high school principal.  Which is what the record store owner is.  Just some local dude.

Ah...dialectic - keep going SC!

• Like 1

On 13/02/2018 at 19:28, drol said:

Johnny Clegg cancels scheduled gigs till July because he's undertaking a "lenghty and complex treatment".

Johnny Clegg update:

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/johnny-clegg-cancer-update-new-album/

Not as heartbreaking as the headline suggests: He recently finished a chemo cycle. One active lesion in the lung. Radiation treatment required ("an ongoing challenge"). But the rest seems ok. Releasing a new album and promising more concerts in 2019.

Still, I don't expect him too see 70 (not a very bold prediction).

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Johnny Clegg update:

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/johnny-clegg-cancer-update-new-album/

Not as heartbreaking as the headline suggests: He recently finished a chemo cycle. One active lesion in the lung. Radiation treatment required ("an ongoing challenge"). But the rest seems ok. Releasing a new album and promising more concerts in 2019.

Still, I don't expect him too see 70 (not a very bold prediction).

"France and other territories will have to wait till 2019 and further prognosis related to my lungs.”

Feck - he's on my DDP team. 

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Maartin Allcock dead on the wires....

And so the shortlist cull continues. Who knows where all that time has gone? 

• Like 1

Mark Fosson, whose age I wasn't able to verify, was a Kentucky native who recorded for John Fahey's Takoma Records. Today he passed away.

9 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

You keep posting links about people but don't write in their name so it doesn't show up in the search function.  :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And I'm getting traumatized. Now whenever I see someone linking to facebook or instagram, I think - oh, someone has died!

Edit: Though I should point out, thanks ObakeFilter for these updates. You're covering good ground there.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD

DAMMIT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!  

Fuck me runnin!

Well I fucking give up.  @Spade_Cooley I concede before we start our Cup match.

I had one ringer and now he’s fuckjng dead!! :(

Been waiting SIX FUCKING WEEKS!!!!!  

FUUUUUUCCCCKKKK ME!

———

This FB post from Robbie Smith’s bandmate, Kathleen Glauser of the Nova Scotia folk duo Naming the Twins:

“No more darkness to cloud my vision
To make me blind to the light I seek
No more chains now to keep me in prison
To make my heart grow weak

No more weakness to drown my spirit
To weigh me down in a sea of grief
Just sweet music all around, can't you hear it
To bring my soul relief

Home, I'm going to follow my father home
Follow my father home

Truly Home 
From "Drifters and Dreamers"
Words and music by Robbie Smith

Oct 28, 1954 - Feb 27, 2019

He is truly home now.”

———-

• Haha 2

Wizz Jones has announced a gig celebrating his 80th birthday with sexy young 74 year old Ralph McTell in the support slot.

Likely to be the safest moshpit on offer this year!

Finally, an obit for Robbie Smith of the band Naming the Twins.

Condolences and music making memories have been pouring in via social media for Shelburne’s multi-talented Robbie Smith, who passed away on Feb. 27 at the age of 64 after being diagnosed with stage 4 incurable cancer in December.

The singer, songwriter and musician played guitar, mandolin, banjo and violin.

SC