maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Anne Feeney dead at 69 from COVID.

A deadpooling favourite from the past.

Edit: DDP pick 2011, 2012 and 2013.

A real shame.  Anne Feeney was just great, a fine songwriter with a keen social conscience, coupled with an ability not to take herself too seriously.

Even my children liked one of her songs.  

• Like 1

Belinda Sykes still fighting the good fight.

On 25/10/2020 at 02:44, Ulitzer95 said:

Worth noting that Scottish folk singer Jock Duncan is still alive. Turning 96 next year.

I don't think he's on the radar for many due to the lack of Wikipedia page but certainly notable and likely to obit.

Picked in the DDP about a decade ago. I assumed he had died, but apparently not.

320x0w.jpg.f593da826a10aebad578e176f89c586c.jpg

Scottish folk singer Jock Duncan died in Dundee on March 25th, aged 95.

Daily Record
Press and Journal.
BBC Scotland also ran a tribute to him on their travelling folk show.

@msc @gcreptile, a former DDP pick. 

Should've taken my own advice and picked him...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Scottish folk singer Jock Duncan died in Dundee on March 25th, aged 95.

Daily Record
Press and Journal.
BBC Scotland also ran a tribute to him on their travelling folk show.

@msc @gcreptile, a former DDP pick. 

Should've taken my own advice and picked him...

Good spot, thanks

Another Belinda Sykes update, proving that she is definitely on the clock, but it's a somewhat slower clock. Still a good bet for a latter half of the year hit though:

Eddy Detroit, most notable for his collaboration with Avant-Folk greats Sun City Girls, has killed himself on June 15 by leaping from atop the 17-story Fellowship Towers, a subsidized apartment building in central Phoenix where he’d been living. He was 68.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/eddy-detroit-has-died-phoenix-punk-percussionist-11563416?fbclid=IwAR3Ga4cxctEMLi6USAdHllV_3QvpFsKcDtkhTp0iELq781WdX5NYfLx2plk

• Like 1

Bloody hell, that's a bit of a shocker. Didn't know she was ill. Sad news, even though she did introduce 'From A Distance' to the world.

I'm really sad to hear about Nanci Griffith.   I saw her perform at Glastonbury in 1997 (which was memorably muddy!) and she was brilliant.   

A tragedy that her and John Prine have both gone within a year. 

She was on our radar a few years ago, because she had retreated from all appearances. Until the end though, she kept her health private.  There's no reason of death given.

On 10/09/2021 at 19:19, ObakeFilter said:

Michael Chapman has passed away earlier today.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.chapman.9085/posts/5999577960065038

Damn shame, seeing a few people of his generation posting about what a legend he was. He also made a couple of decent albums in recent years

242019219_268757145073879_81306443413292

• Like 1

Alaskan Folk singer/songwriter "Hobo Jim", real name James Varsos, dead at 68 shortly after revealing his cancer:

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2021/10/06/alaska-musician-hobo-jim-dies-just-over-two-weeks-after-announcing-end-stage-cancer-diagnosis/

Will he get a yahoo obit? Well now, it doesn't matter anymore

Edit: Yes he did.

• Like 2

Traditional Irish music exponent Paddy Moloney being reported dead: 

As a founder of The Chieftains and a constant presence with the band since the early 1960s, there has been the occasional foray into the UK Charts.

Here's the best performing I can find, with The Corrs, reaching the dizzy heights of #37 in June 1999 with The Corrs:

• Like 4

The Levellers have started their latest tour without guitarist and singer Simon Friend, who cannot be with them for unspecified personal reasons.   One to keep an eye on I would suggest.  The Levellers are quite a hardy lot and, if this is due to Friend's health, then it might be serious.  

On 11/06/2021 at 13:30, gcreptile said:

Another Belinda Sykes update, proving that she is definitely on the clock, but it's a somewhat slower clock. Still a good bet for a latter half of the year hit though:

Belinda Sykes reported to have died yesterday: 

Slipped Disc had a notification some several hours ago: https://slippedisc.com/2021/11/early-music-mourns-a-vibrant-leader/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, we'll be putting that last bit on my shortlist to the test now...

1.      Belinda Sykes – 56 – terminally ill since 2019, on the BBC and DI thinks she’ll QO.

:D

11 hours ago, msc said:

Well, we'll be putting that last bit on my shortlist to the test now...

1.      Belinda Sykes – 56 – terminally ill since 2019, on the BBC and DI thinks she’ll QO.

:D

No sign of one yet. 

Curiously, she already got a mention on Bloomberg.com, by a person who already gave their condolences on twitter.

BBC Three has also tweeted about her. She's not a breaking news kind of person. I even think she might be the rare "Last Word" only obit.

• Like 1

Just now, gcreptile said:

Curiously, she already got a mention on Bloomberg.com, by a person who already gave their condolences on twitter.

BBC Three has also tweeted about her already. She's not a breaking news kind of person. I even think she might be the rare "Last Word" only obit.

If she gets on Last word then I can see the Guardian covering her.