maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Curiously, she already got a mention on Bloomberg.com, by a person who already gave their condolences on twitter.

BBC Three has also tweeted about her. She's not a breaking news kind of person. I even think she might be the rare "Last Word" only obit.

Radio 3 has paid tribute to her on air. Unfortunately, it has to be in print for the DDP!

Frontman's fragile health fuck's future Strawbs gigs for the foreseeable! Or summat. Posting this here rather than the prog thread probs won't improve his health either!

Link: https://www.loudersound.com/news/strawbs-dave-cousins-withdraws-from-live-performance?fbclid=IwAR35vyLklTXbkIX0eTZky2hf8On9OAUQWph2p5RfOqcSHmDCB9QoNjCPYEk

Norma Waterson is reportedly in hospital suffering from pneumonia.

On 13/01/2022 at 12:06, JQW said:

Norma Waterson is reportedly in hospital suffering from pneumonia.

Seems Norma Waterson has died: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Pete St. John, an Irish folk singer-songwriter who wrote The Fields of Athenry, has died. He was 90.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60722042

Words can not adequately convey how much I hate that bloody song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Judy Henske, "The Queen of the Beatniks" who began singing in folk clubs in the 50s, but whose music encompassed other styles, died 27 April aged 85. 

46 minutes ago, time said:

Judy Henske, "The Queen of the Beatniks" who began singing in folk clubs in the 50s, but whose music encompassed other styles, died 27 April aged 85. 

She was hard to categorize, went her own way. A bit of an overwrought, Janis-style bluesy voice for my tastes, but I do like her version of this Goffin-King song, given the full kitchen-sink, wall of sound production by Jack Nitzsche.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 22:09, DevonDeathTrip said:

The Levellers have started their latest tour without guitarist and singer Simon Friend, who cannot be with them for unspecified personal reasons.   One to keep an eye on I would suggest.  The Levellers are quite a hardy lot and, if this is due to Friend's health, then it might be serious.  

Simon Friend will remain with The Levellers, but no longer tour with the band according to an update on their Facebook page...

Irish folk singer, tenor Phil Callery of The Voice Squad, reportedly dead: 

In happier times:

• Like 2

Scot ex-pat Gibb Todd, who in his early days opened for The Dubliners and later supported The Fureys, reportedly dead: 

Long term fixture at Glasgow's Celtic Connections Festival since its inception in 1993. Moved to Australia in the early 2000s becoming a citizen there. Hence probably this number from his second album in preparation for his move:

• Like 2

Jim Tate, the bassist in the Irish Eleanor McEvoy Band, reportedly died according to Eleanor herself: 

Played on A Woman's Heart, hugely successful Irish album of female folkies. Here's the late Gay Byrne introducing them in 1992:

• Like 2

Ray Raposa, best known as Castanets, has died. He was 41. The news was confirmed on Sufjan Stevens’ Tumblr, where Stevens wrote in a statement: “Ray Raposa passed away yesterday. He was a bright star, a good friend, and a great musician. It was always such a joy and a fierce spiritual journey to work with him. Heavy hearts and deep sorrows over here. Ray, may your soul glimmer brightly on the other side! And may perpetual light shine upon you. I love you.”

https://pitchfork.com/news/raymond-raposa-who-recorded-as-castanets-has-died

• Like 1

On 30/10/2015 at 19:28, DevonDeathTrip said:

Talk about The Seekers on another thread made me wonder what happened to their original producer and songwriter Tom Springfield, brother of Dusty. He is now 81 and has only made one public appearance since 1969, which was at Dusty's funeral.

Appearing alongside Dusty and Tom in The Springfields was old Etonian, Tim Feild. He is also aged 81 and now lives in Colorado. Now known as Reshad Feild he is a respected author on subjects such Islam, Sufism and spiritualism.

As for their health, no idea, but I just thought I'd put their names out there.

Tom Springfield passed away back in July.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

On 20/08/2022 at 19:03, The Old Crem said:

I wonder if he will obit. 

Tom Springfield Mail obit.

Only took the British press 2 whole days to break it. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

So, Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone this weekend played Anne Briggs and he mused about what she is up to these days. Tbh, totally forgotten she's still alive (78 next month), worth a mention because her hard-living was legendary and totally destructive to a career that could have seen her up there alongside the best British folk had on show. In one documentary Richard Thompson commented he'd only encountered Briggs twice, he would have spoken to her but she was passed out drunk on both occasions! Obits, nailed on, as and when.

Anne_Briggs.png

• Like 1

I can't post a link as on phone, but Paul Sartin of Bellowhead died on 14th September shortly before he was due on stage.

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

I can't post a link as on phone, but Paul Sartin of Bellowhead died on 14th September shortly before he was due on stage.

Here's the NME report. I'm not personally familiar with them but a mate of mine is a big Bellowhead fan.

• Like 1

I accidentally won some tickets to see them a few years ago by simply liking a social media account of the local bus company. I didn't go. 

• Shocked 1