maryportfuncity

Old Folkies Home

2 minutes ago, JQW said:

I accidentally won some tickets to see them a few years ago by simply liking a social media account of the local bus company. I didn't go. 

Oh I would have loved those. One of my biggest readers is never seeing them live.

19 minutes ago, JQW said:

I accidentally won some tickets to see them a few years ago by simply liking a social media account of the local bus company. I didn't go. 

Fuck, have their fortunes fallen to the point their gig turnout depends on liking a bus company? In there with Maidstone's heroes Chicory Tip, then - they once played a pub less than ten minutes walk from my home, I suggested to the young 'un we go for no other reason than to see a band play their own #1 hit, but as I recall the World Cycling Championships were on telly and he preferred that option. 

Tip's current dates include some local working men's clubs and a pub on the famously rough Isle of Sheppey, might still catch them, if it isn't raining.

(As also noted in the Shove Off, Eh!' thread) Ian Tyson, a Canadian folk music icon and the co-writer of Neil Young's 'Four Strong Winds', has died. He was 89. Tyson and his ex-wife Sylvia Tyson formed the duo Ian & Sylvia in 1959. The pair were married from 1964 to 1973. Ian Tyson is a unique DDP pick.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ian-tyson-dead-at-89-1.6699778

• Like 1

Jeff Blackburn, a member of Blackburn & Snow, Moby Grape, and the short-lived group the Ducks with Neil Young in 1977, has passed away aged 77.

40 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

Jeff Blackburn, a member of Blackburn & Snow, Moby Grape, and the short-lived group the Ducks with Neil Young in 1977, has passed away aged 77.

The last photo 

4685EE43-88D9-4106-A0F6-CCB6E064F1B3.gif

Traditional music is much the poorer following the unexpected death of Séamus Begley, the west Kerry box player and singer, on Monday at the age of 73.

SC

On 09/01/2023 at 08:41, ObakeFilter said:

Yeah, there or thereabouts but sadly not that well represented on recordings - fairly sure his stint in Moby Grape was touring only.

On 23/07/2012 at 22:58, DevonDeathTrip said:

This is a tad confusing, so bear with me. :huh:

The comedian and folk singer Sid Kipper is apparently in very ill health and will retire after a farewell appearance at the Whitby Folk Festival later this summer. However, the problem here is that Sid is actually a fictional character played by Chris Sugden and I'm not sure if the ill health I've heard about is affecting just Sid, or both of them. Sid was once a member of The Kipper Family with his dad Henry, played by Dick Nudd. That act ceased when Henry was killed off after Dick decided to retire from the music business (s/he is now believed to be living as a woman in Ireland).

So, in summary, I've got no links to suggest a person who doesn't exist in real life - and whose alter ego might not get an obituary anyway - has an unspecified health condition which may or may not be life threatening. Got to be worth a gamble, surely?

I was listening to the Kipper Family (as one might do) and wondered if they - Chris Sugden and Dick Nudds - are still alive. Chris/Sid seems to be, probably, but there’s nothing about Dick/Henry.

On 19/02/2010 at 16:43, Rotten Ali said:

Cut and Paste from the Vancover Sun....

"Gordon Lightfoot’s management says an Internet hoax created false rumours that the iconic Canadian folksinger had died Thursday."

Sorry only looked at post 120 and never checked that it had moved on to a 9th page.

Gordon Lightfoot has announced the cancellation of his 2023 concert itinerary due to "health-related issues," according to a statement from his spokesperson.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/gordon-lightfoot-cancels-canada-u-s-concert-dates-over-health-issues-1.6350435

• Like 1

Gordon Lightfoot dead at 84.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4
  • Shocked 1

On 11/04/2023 at 11:51, ObakeFilter said:

Gordon Lightfoot has announced the cancellation of his 2023 concert itinerary due to "health-related issues," according to a statement from his spokesperson.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/gordon-lightfoot-cancels-canada-u-s-concert-dates-over-health-issues-1.6350435

Should’ve probably taken more note of this

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tracy said:

Hit for me in alt.obits deadpool

Sundown…

RIP

1 hour ago, tracy said:

Wonder if he'll get a QO. Haven't seen any UK papers pick it up yet, though the NY Times did already.

• Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, Comped said:

Wonder if he'll get a QO. Haven't seen any UK papers pick it up yet, though the NY Times did already.

He'll get a QO. Major name in the 1960s folk music scene, released a number of albums. An iconic figure in Canada, charted more successfully in North American than the UK, but certain to get obits come morning time GMT. 

edit: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/ap-toronto-life-bob-dylan-johnny-cash-b2330597.html

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Comped said:

Wonder if he'll get a QO.

I doubt it. As can be seen from the DDP, only internationally-renowned legends like Lin Brehmer and Augie Nieto get QOs, not nobodies like this Lightfoot clown.

• Haha 8
  • Shocked 1

Sorry he's gone- another voice from my distant youth!

Gordon Lightfoot obituary.

Never in any doubt.

• Like 1

Aye, the subtitle of this thread when I started it years back was "Sundown, for Lightfoot and the others" - or summat like that

I think he was best known for writing and original performance of this song.

• Like 1

…which Sir Creep does at karaoke once in a while.  Of course now I do it better than he does.

• Like 1

Great song.

• Like 1