Banshees Scream

Who's Going To Be Around For A While?

Ed McMahon it would seem. You've got to be pretty tough to be 85, break your neck, then continue attending public events a year later. Also, just-turned-104-year-old Ziegfield girl Doris Eaton Travis is still dancing.

Not only is McMahon still attending public events, but now he's also done several new commercial segments.

John Woodvine, who's done everything from sniffy theatre to playing Frank's dad in 'Shameless' is older than you might think. Not showing too much sign of slowing down, mind.

Unfortunately, I believe QEII will be with us for quite some time yet.

This had been a party political broadcast on behalf of the Australian Republican Party. :ph34r:

Back to the topic, Paul Newman gets my vote, eighty years old and still on the job. Ew man. Crickey!!!

Er....

To be fair, I remember when he turned 80 and thinking 'He seems in good form'.

Just goes to show you never know...

This had been a party political broadcast on behalf of the Australian Republican Party. :ph34r:

Back to the topic, Paul Newman gets my vote, eighty years old and still on the job. Ew man. Crickey!!!

Er....

It seems that there are three now dead names who were mentioned in this thread while still alive:

* Kitty Carlisle (died 2007, who was doing well until a cold got her)

* Bill Deedes (died 2007)

* Paul Newman

So for a 7-page thread, the picks have been pretty good.

This had been a party political broadcast on behalf of the Australian Republican Party. :)

Er....

It seems that there are three now dead names who were mentioned in this thread while still alive:

* Paul Newman

Yes, except this thread is for those we thought were going to dodge the bullet for the forseeable... :ph34r:

Oh the irony...

• Like 1

This had been a party political broadcast on behalf of the Australian Republican Party. :)

Er....

* Paul Newman

Yes, except this thread is for those we thought were going to dodge the bullet for the forseeable... :ph34r:

Oh the irony...

That's what I meant, as most of the several dozen mentioned names are living still.

I saw Burt Bacharach on the American Idol finale. He must be getting on a bit but he was looking pretty good (apart from a dodgy hairpiece)

Mr Backache was on the Electric Prom last night looking mighty spry for an 80-year-old. Kind of a bizarre cross between link.paul.newman.jpgSNN1901BB280_391131a.jpg and robert_kilroy_silk-b.jpg

Nice tunes, shame about the horrible chicken-in-a-basket milieu.

Speaking of songwriters, I reckon Paul McCartney will be the last Beatle left alive and he'll go on for years yet.

Australian media dynasty matriarch Dame Elisabeth Murdoch is going to be 100 next month. Looks like she's still keeping pretty busy.

Giving birth to the Devil incarnate certainly helps her longevity... ;)

Australian media dynasty matriarch Dame Elisabeth Murdoch is going to be 100 next month. Looks like she's still keeping pretty busy.

Giving birth to the Devil incarnate certainly helps her longevity... :pop:

She would be an excellent pick for DeathList simply due to her age. I personally think she'd be a much better choice than Kim-Jong Il.

Guest Penny

I think Dame Vera Lynn will be with us for ages yet too. she is so active and still recording, her voice sounds so young in tone still and she's even on Facebook. very much someone who moves with the times and is always out and about.

Guest Penny
I think Dame Vera Lynn will be with us for ages yet too. she is so active and still recording, her voice sounds so young in tone still and she's even on Facebook. very much someone who moves with the times and is always out and about.

I forgot to mention she will be 92 in March and looks and talks as though she was in her sixties.

83-year-old Alan Whicker seemed in fine fettle in his new TV series. As a journalist pointed out, he looked about 50 in the late 1950s and looks about 70 now. Must have a shocking picture in his attic.

A great career and immortalised in rhyming slang to boot, what a chap.

83-year-old Alan Whicker seemed in fine fettle in his new TV series. As a journalist pointed out, he looked about 50 in the late 1950s and looks about 70 now. Must have a shocking picture in his attic.

A great career and immortalised in rhyming slang to boot, what a chap.

Watched an interview yesterday morning on the BBC morning programme. To my mind, Alan Whicker had only a handfull of years in him - no way was he still as sharp as he was in the past - I would say about 5 to 10 years , and find it hard to think he will get much past 90 years of age.

Phyllis Diller.

Turned 90, fractured her back, still as sharp and (almost) as hale as she ever was.

Phyliss Diller, growing old disgracefully.

The 92-year-old comedy legend is robbing the cradle with a new toyboy who is only 75. “Men - I just love ‘em!” a still sprightly Phyllis declared in an exclusive Enquirer interview....“I was there when he walked in, and I noticed him right away. The cougar waiting for her prey! We hit it off immediately"..."Vegetables, fresh fruit, and men are three things that keep me young. I insist on a very balanced diet.”..."90 is the new 30"

Bless her!

I was surprised to find out that presenter Stuart Hall turned 80 a couple of months back. Still going strong on the radio, still waffling away in his irritating unique style. Plenty of years left in him, I'd say.

Good point Raskolnikov, but yer man Lovelock sounded very chipper on Radio Four this morning. In fact, I found myself wondering how old he was, guessing he sounded around 70. He may well make 100.

You may well be right, and I did toy with the idea of posting him in the 'Who's going to be around for a while' thread. However, as my second link above mentioned, he does harbour hopes of becoming a space tourist, and it sounds as if it's going to happen sooner rather than later,

Meanwhile Lovelock is about to blast off into space, courtesy of Sir Richard Branson's “ultimate upgrade” on Virgin Intergalactic. He wants to see the Earth before she fades from the blue and green we know to the brown that he fears.

If that goes ahead, then I don't care how healthy an 89 year old body you've got, it's going to be put under some serious strain during blast off.

Looking well in an interview with John Humphrys. That'll teach the one idiot who picked him on this year's DDP. :P

Branson, where's that bloody spaceship?

Re Lovelock, heard that interview and thought he sounded around 60. That's what passion for your work does for your longevity.

Lovelock is roughly the same age as the still-breathing Sir Robert Mark, former head of the Met Police and known by many for some road safety commercials years ago.

Think he might last for a year or two yet.

March 22 CBC radio interview with Phyllis Diller available here: http://www.cbc.ca/q/uncut.html

Sounds like she's still quite active and alert, and seems to have recovered from that fall rather nicely.

Yoshiro Nakamatsu is a japanese inventor who has introduced the world to over 3000 inventions (Such as the digital watch, DVD, taxicab meter, Flopp disk, etc.). He is currently 81 years old, but has the realistic and feasible intention of living to the age of 144.... or die trying. :wheelchair:

I was interested to see an interview with Walid Jumblatt (leader of the Druze community) on the Euronews station yesterday. Born in '49 it still feels like he's been around for ever in a war torn country like Lebanon you have to ask how? But he looked and sounded very well and I'm guessing he has another 15 years in him yet, barring any attempt on his life.

Barry Norman. Born 1933. BBC Movie critic. From the "Film 'XX" series. Allways looks older than his years. You don't hear much from him of late but he was on Radio 5Live the other day and he sounded very well. No news what so ever on any health issues. I bet he will get well into his 90's.