Banshees Scream

Who's Going To Be Around For A While?

Marieke Vervoort

7 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Do Muoi and Le Duc Anh

That's just fahkin wrong.  

Based on how Nancy Olson sounded/looks in this interview earlier in the year, I wouldn't be surprised if the 90 yo Sunset Blvd actress becomes a Centenarian

Frankie Valli was chosen by not 1 not 2 but FIVE DDP teams in 2018.  Dude is 84 and touring, going strong.  He may drop over one night on stage, but for now he looks like an awful waste of one of 20 precious spots on even a DDP theme team list, short of a team 'People Named Frankie'.
And while we are on the topic, Divine's version of Walk Like A Man is superior in every way.
SC 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Assuming this is a thread where we discuss awful picks, bad reasoning, and the like....(if there is a more appropriate thread please move this).... why are so many of you influenced by the DL Committee choices?  I will presume it's just easier (read: you're lazy).
Dick Van Dyke (b. 13 Dec 1925) is soon to be 93, but hasn't had a blemish as far as his health goes.  Yet 45 DDP teams selected him.  What is that, like 8% of all teams submitted?
Charles Van Doren (b. 12 Feb 1926) is two months younger than Van Dyke, and presumably hasn't had many health problems either (none I can find).  Yet is a SOLO pick! 
What the hell?  Both will easily obit, so that isn't a concern.  These gents are about as identical as you can be.  45:1 ??

Why are you people beholden to the DL names?  I don't get it.  Shouldn't there be as much interest, in general, for Van Doren as Van Dyke?  I'm sure I could throw 50 other names into the hopper here as well, but this struck me as I was looking at the letter 'V' picks in 2018 DDP just now, and the two celebs were back-to-back names.
If it is 'I'm going for the D40 bonus' you are creating the monster.  It wouldn't BE a D40 bonus unless you MADE IT one.  SMFH.  

Well all that changes if the Committee puts Van Doren on the list and axes Van Dyke, all the sudden the lemmings will choose Van Doren in droves.  Is that it?
Sir C

8 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Assuming this is a thread where we discuss awful picks, bad reasoning, and the like....(if there is a more appropriate thread please move this).... why are so many of you influenced by the DL Committee choices?  I will presume it's just easier (read: you're lazy).
Dick Van Dyke (b. 13 Dec 1925) is soon to be 93, but hasn't had a blemish as far as his health goes.  Yet 45 DDP teams selected him.  What is that, like 8% of all teams submitted?
Charles Van Doren (b. 12 Feb 1926) is two months younger than Van Dyke, and presumably hasn't had many health problems either (none I can find).  Yet is a SOLO pick! 
What the hell?  Both will easily obit, so that isn't a concern.  These gents are about as identical as you can be.  45:1 ??

Why are you people beholden to the DL names?  I don't get it.  Shouldn't there be as much interest, in general, for Van Doren as Van Dyke?  I'm sure I could throw 50 other names into the hopper here as well, but this struck me as I was looking at the letter 'V' picks in 2018 DDP just now, and the two celebs were back-to-back names.
If it is 'I'm going for the D40 bonus' you are creating the monster.  It wouldn't BE a D40 bonus unless you MADE IT one.  SMFH.  

Well all that changes if the Committee puts Van Doren on the list and axes Van Dyke, all the sudden the lemmings will choose Van Doren in droves.  Is that it?
Sir C

I suspect that the majority of people who enter the DDP have only a casual interest and don't read this forum, or even the Deathlist.

• Like 2

Yeah DVD is in that tier of super A list 90+ celebs where everyone knows he's both alive and really old hence why likes of him and Doris Day are Drop 40. Van Doren isn't obscure but nowhere near Van Dyke's level and a lot of people who heard the name might assume he's already dead.

• Like 1

I had to look up Charles Van Doren as I have never heard of him, and I doubt I'm alone in that.  So there's another reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I had to look up Charles Van Doren as I have never heard of him, and I doubt I'm alone in that.  So there's another reason.

Right....cuz it was only a movie that was nominated for 4 Oscars including Best Picture/Director/Actor/Screenplay.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:
1 hour ago, Toast said:

Right....cuz it was only a movie that was nominated for 4 Oscars including Best Picture/Director/Actor/Screenplay.

OK, I've heard of the film but haven't seen it.  Vaguely aware that it was based on real events.  Still didn't recognise the name.

• Like 1

Just to be circular and show that widely assumed knowledge is only what you know yerself, I knew vaguely of the scandal thanks to US TV referencing it a lot (Simpsons for example) but not the guys name, or the fact they made an Oscar nominated film about it.

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Love that movie

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Sir C

Yes, because the people who are picking DVD aren't the people you are complaining about and to.

10 minutes ago, ImissMontpellier said:

Centenarian cyclist Robert Marchand, 107, will become a supercentenarian in three years.

No he won't.

[Note: I'm preemptively posting this, and will edit before 2021 with the appropriate link when applicable.  I just wanted to be first.]
SC

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

No he won't.

[Note: I'm preemptively posting this, and will edit before 2021 with the appropriate link when applicable.  I just wanted to be first.]
SC

Hope you're wrong.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:30, Sir Creep said:

A serious point on this - quite a few people outlive their own useful fame but do have pre-prepared obits in the major news outlets. I had some dealings a few years ago with the writer Michael Baldwin who's greatest fame ended about 40 years ago (by which point teaching was a more reliable income). He told me about having several drinks with a journalist in the mid-seventies who then took him to a newspaper office and showed him his own obituary. By the time that obituary appeared it's likely many people were wondering who the man was. It is our duty to our fellow dead poolers to keep tabs on such cases.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/19/michael-baldwin

• Thanks 1