Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Peter Shilton

Was on the deathlist in 1994. Making him - I guess - unique as the only DL member to have played professional football AFTER being placed in our very own virtual departure loungue.

Since I can no longer access the comments what was the thinking behind him being here?

Was on the deathlist in 1994. Making him - I guess - unique as the only DL member to have played professional football AFTER being placed in our very own virtual departure loungue.

Since I can no longer access the comments what was the thinking behind him being here?

I remember him playing for Leyton Orient at the age of 50!!

I think he was 47 at the time, he'd been coaching for a few years after failing miserably as a manager but he kept his player's registration. Orient - or more properly Barry Hearn - saw the potential of bringing him back to top 1000 first class games and he played a few matches for them.

Still, what the f*** was he doing on the DL in 1994, I don't remember a health scare that would have justified that.

Look, I'm warning you. I'll keep dragging this f***er to the top until someone with more than a decade of experience on this list coughs up. What was Shilton doing on the DL in the mid-nineties? I can't find anything online about a health scare. He's a god amongst goalies and a gnat amongst the morally upstanding. Was his wife or the boyfriend of some woman he got acquainted with about to kill him?

well, MPFC, I was on the DL Commitee back then and am trying to rack my brain for why Shilts made the list. One theory is it might have been general annoyance at him for being the only keeper in football history to actually wait for the opponents to take their penalty kicks before diving (see Germany, WCSF shoot-out) 1990), or for being the only goalkepper who has ever managed to make himself seem smaller than Diego Maradona (see Hand of God, 1986).

I also recall he was accused of wife-beating or something like that, which may have added to our sense that his time in between the sticks was soon to end. So, you were on to something with your hunch about his dodgy off the pitch behaviour. We were a lot less sophisticated in terms of "sensible" choices back then, usually allowing a few picks which had an entertainment value but were real long-shots. Personally I rather yearn for those romantic days of yore, but today's Death List is all about results.

We were a lot less sophisticated in terms of "sensible" choices back then, usually allowing a few picks which had an entertainment value but were real long-shots.  Personally I rather yearn for those romantic days of yore, but today's Death List is all about results.

Indeed. The following selections were rather less than sophisticated:

1989: William Hartnell, died April 23, 1975

1992, 1994: Bette Davis, died October 6, 1989

1992: Arthur Marshall, died 1989

regards,

Hein

Personally I rather yearn for those romantic days of yore, but today's Death List is all about results.

But you've still only got 6 so far, so your losing on both counts.

[Puts on flame resistant suit.]

Personally I rather yearn for those romantic days of yore, but today's Death List is all about results.

c'mon Guesty, you've got to a least get your grammar right (before donning flame resistant suit) if you're going to take swipes at statements which include the word "yore", however friendly, at the selection process. 6/50 at this stage of the year isn't that bad. We shoot for a rough target of 10 correct nominations a year, with anything above considered better than par. 2004 was unusually well researched.

That is not to say, though, that missing the likes of Prince Ranier, Arafat and Marlon Brando put sthe selection committe in the best light, so hopefully we will avoid missing similar low-hanging and well-known fruit in future years.

c'mon Guesty, you've got to a least get your grammar right (before donning flame resistant suit) if you're going to take swipes at statements which include the word "yore", however friendly, at the selection process. 6/50 at this stage of the year isn't that bad. We shoot for a rough target of 10 correct nominations a year, with anything above considered better than par. 2004 was unusually well researched.

That is not to say, though, that missing the likes of Prince Ranier, Arafat and Marlon Brando put sthe selection committe in the best light, so hopefully we will avoid missing similar low-hanging and well-known fruit in future years.

:blink::rip::rip: When posting for the benefit of Gibberish speakers, it would be helpful to the rest of us if you could include a standard English (USish, OZish etc) version!

(I have been studying Gibberish (mainly from necessity) - this forum has recently provided many interesting examples. :P )

More proof I guess that if you post in haste, you repent in leisure.

As a very slight defence, I will point out that I post from a public library, and thus have a time limit.

I produced a lot of posts yesterday, some of actual interest; (IE RKS facing a leadership challenge & a WWI vet dying.)

Unfortunately the quality suffered on the later posts.

Guesty, they were good posts, even more so for having been sent from the combat zone of a public library. Part of the fun of posting is to try to be as error-free as possible, lest you get torn to shreds by people with too much time on their hands, who like to point out typos. Like myself for instance. Yesterday I made the cardinal sin of including two or three errors as I was critiquing other's messages. D'oh.

Hope you continue to make the same good use of Britain's public libraries - where better to spend one's free time than on the DL site?

And repent in haste, it saves time.

Yesterday I made the cardinal sin of including two or three errors as I was critiquing other's messages.  D'oh.

You're supposed to do that. It's the law.

regards,

Hein

Yesterday I made the cardinal sin of including two or three errors as I was critiquing other's messages.  D'oh.

You're supposed to do that. It's the law.

regards,

Hein

Aha!

So that explains why one of the most consistently interesting and apposite posters unexpectedly produced a contribution containing crazy syntax nad spelling errurrs..... Double D'oh... :angel4:

What hope is there? :(

well, MPFC, I was on the DL Commitee back then and am trying to rack my brain for why Shilts made the list. One theory is it might have been general annoyance at him for being the only keeper in football history to actually wait for the opponents to take their penalty kicks before diving (see Germany, WCSF shoot-out) 1990), or for being the only goalkepper who has ever managed to make himself seem smaller than Diego Maradona (see Hand of God, 1986).

I also recall he was accused of wife-beating or something like that, which may have added to our sense that his time in between the sticks was soon to end. So, you were on to something with your hunch about his dodgy off the pitch behaviour. We were a lot less sophisticated in terms of "sensible" choices back then, usually allowing a few picks which had an entertainment value but were real long-shots. Personally I rather yearn for those romantic days of yore, but today's Death List is all about results.

I'm 99% certain I was also on the Committee for that list and I can quite categorically state that...

...I haven't the foggiest idea why Shilts was selected. :unsure: Rationality was rarely on the menu back then.

However, I can certainly remember singing "Shilton's got yer missus" (to the conga tune) at a football match. That's just something you never forget.

I'm 99% certain I was also on the Committee for that list and I can quite categorically state that...

...I haven't the foggiest idea why Shilts was selected. :unsure: Rationality was rarely on the menu back then.

However, I can certainly remember singing "Shilton's got yer missus" (to the conga tune) at a football match. That's just something you never forget.

Shilts used to send me birthday cards...before he got replaced by Flowers.

...I haven't the foggiest idea why Shilts was selected. :rolleyes: Rationality was rarely on the menu back then.

It was at an Oxford v Southampton match that I had the joy of singing "Shilton's got your missus" to the replacement Southampton goal keeper. Joy.

PS he still holds the record (jointly) for most World Cup clean sheets (without his or anyone elses missus!)

When I worked for Labdrokes he lost thousands gambling........pot of the tops??

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2008 at 22:49, TheBard said:

When I worked for Labdrokes he lost thousands gambling........pot of the tops??

This above being the last comment on this thread, interesting to note that his gambling addiction is all out in the open: https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/england-star-peter-shilton-admits-4301083