Captain Oates

Interesting Ways To Die...

Not quite sure where to really put this one

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/05/us/tennessee-11-year-old-sentenced-for-first-degree-murder/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool&iref=obnetwork

An 11-year-old boy in Jefferson County, Tennessee, has been sentenced to spend the next eight years in juvenile prison for the murder of an 8-year-old girl, according to a court document.

The boy was found guilty of first-degree murder for shooting MaKayla Dyer in the chest with a shotgun after she refused to let him play with her puppy, according to a sentencing document obtained by The Newport Plain Talk and posted online by CNN affiliate WATE in Knoxville.

I vote for a new 'NRA please explain this' thread.

It can go right after the entry for the 9 year old shooting her instructor with an Uzi submachine gun.

• Like 1

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/05/us/tennessee-11-year-old-sentenced-for-first-degree-murder/?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool&iref=obnetwork

An 11-year-old boy in Jefferson County, Tennessee, has been sentenced to spend the next eight years in juvenile prison for the murder of an 8-year-old girl, according to a court document.

The boy was found guilty of first-degree murder for shooting MaKayla Dyer in the chest with a shotgun after she refused to let him play with her puppy, according to a sentencing document obtained by The Newport Plain Talk and posted online by CNN affiliate WATE in Knoxville.

Well not under 'interesting ways to die' that's for sure. Nothing interesting about murdering someone with a firearm. Not even the ages involved, I'm from Detroit that's a weekly occurrence

SirC

Well not under 'interesting ways to die' that's for sure. Nothing interesting about murdering someone with a firearm. Not even the ages involved, I'm from Detroit that's a weekly occurrence

SirC

Perhaps a new topic that's simply "WTF!!?"

Man in Boston dies when manhole cover is dislodged by vehicle in front of him, sending it airborn and ....... As Roxy Music says "you can guess the rest",

SC

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/flying-manhole-cover-kills-driver-in-boston/

Man?*

*I don't think this is exactly pedantry although it does say "later identified as teacher Caitlin Clavette" so it's possible they updated the story whilst the link remains the same (nearly as "Led Zepplin" sang)

A groom has been killed in northern India after being struck in the head by a bullet fired by a celebrating member of his wedding party.

Same sort of thing happened almost 6 years ago to the day

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/7271134/Groom-shot-dead-at-wedding-by-uncles-stray-celebratory-bullet.html

Guns eh? Can't have a bit of fun with one without the danger of killing somebody.

Guns eh? Can't have a bit of fun with one without the danger of killing somebody.

There's this one here from 2013 too

Bloodbath at Yemeni wedding after guests are shot dead while dancing to Gangnam Style when reveller 'tries to fire AK-47 into the air to celebrate'

A construction worker on his second day on the job died after falling from the 53rd floor of the Wilshire Grand Center tower and landing on a passing car in downtown L.A. early Thursday afternoon.

His body landed on a car that was traveling on Wilshire Boulevard. The female driver of the white hatchback was being evaluated at the scene by LAFD personnel, and it was unknown whether she was injured. The worker's body had landed on the back end of the car.

[and the best line....]

A Los Angeles Times staff photographer was on assignment on the building’s 71st floor when he heard a loud thump and saw the man's body below.

"It sounded like a bag of cement fell off the edge of the building," photographer Mel Melcon said.

So now we have an idea what that sounds like. I already had an idea what it looks like.
SC

A construction worker on his second day on the job died after falling from the 53rd floor of the Wilshire Grand Center tower and landing on a passing car in downtown L.A. early Thursday afternoon.

His body landed on a car that was traveling on Wilshire Boulevard. The female driver of the white hatchback was being evaluated at the scene by LAFD personnel, and it was unknown whether she was injured. The worker's body had landed on the back end of the car.

[and the best line....]

A Los Angeles Times staff photographer was on assignment on the building’s 71st floor when he heard a loud thump and saw the man's body below.

"It sounded like a bag of cement fell off the edge of the building," photographer Mel Melcon said.

So now we have an idea what that sounds like. I already had an idea what it looks like.

Nasty, I imagine.

For reasons I can only guess, this incident was reported on Dutch morning TV news.

Motorcyclist killed after pheasant flew into his helmet causing him to lose control.

A similar thing happened to me in Scotland in the 90s, however, I was in a lorry and thereby lived; alas, the bird didn't.

Why were you wearing a helmet in a lorry?

I was playing at being The Stig. :D

• Like 1

Motorcyclist killed after pheasant flew into his helmet causing him to lose control.

A similar thing happened to me in Scotland in the 90s, however, I was in a lorry and thereby lived; alas, the bird didn't.

Fuck me, how unlucky can you get? Chain of occurrences needed, bird has to fly out at the wrong time, it has to hit the helmet sufficient to lose control, you have to go off the road and hit something which is then fatal.

No bird, bird misses, bird hits other than helmet, you don't lose control, you head off road but hit nothing, any of these and you're ok... sheesh.

Pheasant shouldn't have got up that morning either...

[and the best line....]

Nasty, I imagine.

For reasons I can only guess, this incident was reported on Dutch morning TV news.

And is now amongst the most popular on the bbc news website for what must be some similarly obscure reason.

"Officials from the construction company said the man was not supposed to be above the third floor and had removed his hard hat."

The utter fool, no hard hat....

[and the best line....]

A Los Angeles Times staff photographer was on assignment on the buildings 71st floor when he heard a loud thump and saw the man's body below.

Nasty, I imagine.

And is now amongst the most popular on the bbc news website for what must be some similarly obscure reason.

"Officials from the construction company said the man was not supposed to be above the third floor and had removed his hard hat."

The utter fool, no hard hat....

But such nasty things will never happen to you, boys and girls, for you always wear your hard hat when on a building site, particularly above the third floor.

• Like 1

I can't find the video of a public information film from 60s/70s about hard hats but here's the commentary:

Sir Isaac Newton told us why
An apple falls down from the sky
And from this fact, it's very plain,
All other objects do the same
A brick, a bolt, a bar, a cup,
Invariably fall down, not up
And every common working tool
Is governed by the self-same rule
So when you handle tools up there,
Let your watchword be, "Take Care!"
If at work, you drop a spanner,
It travels in a downward manner
At work, a fifth of accidents or more,
Illustrate old Newton's law
But one thing he forgot to add,
The damage won't be half as bad
If you are wearing proper clothes,
Especially on your head and toes
These hats and shoes are there to save
The wearer from an early grave
So best feet forward and take care
About the kind of shoes you wear
It's better to be sure, than dead,
So get a hat and keep your head
Don't think to go without is brave;
The effects of gravity can be grave.

Dunno if this resulted in death but when someone tries to drive into a tunnel painted by While-E-Coyote, this needs to be mentioned.

Life imitating art!!

bduf477wxyl0vqsxcrvn.jpg

• Like 2

Nothing odd about a gal from NY hooking up with a guy from Texas.

Unless it's on a ferris wheel in Vegas, and they get caught.

Guy was on top of the world.........

......and then.....

(oh it's not what you think...)

SC

• Like 1

Nothing odd about a gal from NY hooking up with a guy from Texas.

Unless it's on a ferris wheel in Vegas, and they get caught.

Guy was on top of the world.........

......and then.....

(oh it's not what you think...)

SC

Didn't see that coming.