Captain Oates

Interesting Ways To Die...

1 hour ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Being shot and killed; that's a very interesting and unusual way to die.

Yup, knew someone would make that lame comment.  You win.

• Thanks 1

The 1986 American manned fireworks rocket is an unsurpassed classic. So dramatic and hi-tech, and those devil's horns in the sky were pure art.

Perhaps the most expensive deaths ever?

challenger.jpeg

14 hours ago, bladan said:

The 1986 American manned fireworks rocket is an unsurpassed classic. So dramatic and hi-tech, and those devil's horns in the sky were pure art.

Perhaps the most expensive deaths ever?

challenger.jpeg

Need Another Seven Astronauts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

I don't get the impression it was a pet.

I also doubt that she died "after being swallowed" as the report states.  She would have died of crush injuries or cardiac arrest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I also doubt that she died "after being swallowed" as the report states.  She would have died of crush injuries or cardiac arrest.

It would appear not to have been a pet snake.  I would, however, think that being ingested by the snake was at least a contributing factor to her death, even if not the specific causal factor.

I'm going to have a weeks moratorium on my annual cursing of summer wasps and flies. There are worse things that could spoil your barbecue apparently.

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:
4 hours ago, Toast said:

It would appear not to have been a pet snake.  I would, however, think that being ingested by the snake was at least a contributing factor to her death, even if not the specific causal factor.

No, the point is that pythons coil around their victims and squeeze them to death.  Despite some of the sensational reporting, I doubt that she was alive when it ate her.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toast said:

No, the point is that pythons coil around their victims and squeeze them to death.  Despite some of the sensational reporting, I doubt that she was alive when it ate her.

Oh stop it now.  That was a Fox News link, not some pish sensational reporting...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Oh stop it now.  That was a Fox News link, not some pish sensational reporting...

It's been widely reported elsewhere, in varying degrees of sensationalness.  (I know that's probably not a proper word)

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Its possible that she was still alive when she was swallowed. The Python surely can't tell the difference between unconsciousness and death and the crushing could have only resulted in alot of broken bones. So its entirely possible for the link to be true.

11 minutes ago, Mad Hatter2 said:

Its possible that she was still alive when she was swallowed. The Python surely can't tell the difference between unconsciousness and death and the crushing could have only resulted in alot of broken bones. So its entirely possible for the link to be true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythonidae

"Contrary to popular belief, even the larger species, such as the reticulated python, P. reticulatus, do not crush their prey to death; in fact, prey is not even noticeably deformed before it is swallowed. The speed with which the coils are applied is impressive and the force they exert may be significant, but death is [primarily] caused by cardiac arrest."

(Yes, it's Wikipedia, but there are supporting links.)

If you had a heart attack which caused you to drive off a cliff, it doesn't matter that the heart attack alone would have killed you. You still died after falling 100ft in a metal box, which is more relevant for mentioning in an article. The Indonesian woman is dead as fuck regardless of what the snake did to her.

1 hour ago, Toast said:
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter2 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythonidae

"Contrary to popular belief, even the larger species, such as the reticulated python, P. reticulatus, do not crush their prey to death; in fact, prey is not even noticeably deformed before it is swallowed. The speed with which the coils are applied is impressive and the force they exert may be significant, but death is [primarily] caused by cardiac arrest."

(Yes, it's Wikipedia, but there are supporting links.)

I read (or saw/heard) somewhere that constrictors can feel the heartbeat due to the physical contact and continue to squeeze their prey until they can no longer feel it; they then devour said prey.

19 hours ago, Toast said:

It's been widely reported elsewhere, in varying degrees of sensationalness.  (I know that's probably not a proper word)

The lady is more likely to re-emerge from the snake's loins with pasties and tassels on her nipples than Toast catching some sarcasm.

• Confused 1

On 26/04/2018 at 16:00, runebomme said:

"giant plate of beans, kale, and spinach"

that sounds disgusting

• Angry 1

On 16/06/2018 at 17:06, En Passant said:

I'm going to have a weeks moratorium on my annual cursing of summer wasps and flies. There are worse things that could spoil your barbecue apparently.

like midges

Midges eat pests and tourists - a Scot's friend, they are.

5 hours ago, bladan said:

An Indonesian man has died after his mother’s coffin fell from a funeral tower and crushed him during a service on the island of Sulawesi, police said on Sunday.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/18/indonesia-man-killed-mother-falling-coffin

Yo momma so fat...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, runebomme said:

Yeah, I know that list. Some gems:

According to Valerius Maximus, Aeschylus, the eldest of the three great Athenian tragedians, was killed by a tortoise dropped by an eagle that had mistaken his bald head for a rock suitable for shattering the shell of the reptile. Pliny, in his Naturalis Historiæ, adds that Aeschylus had been staying outdoors to avert a prophecy that he would be killed by a falling object.

After watching the "Kung Fu Kapers" episode of The Goodies, a man named Alex Mitchell laughed continuously for 25 minutes and then fell dead on his sofa from heart failure.

I miss how comprehensive that page was some years ago, a lot of entries ended up being removed. Albeit there's still quite a bit from the most recent years.

"My late brother and I used to tell lobotomy jokes. They were about an old fake doctor and a cleaning lad. The clever cleaning lad somehow found out that the old doctor had faked his papers. In reality, the doc was only a butcher. So the doc had only one choice: he had to make yet another lobotomy – in order to silence the cleaner and to get the money from the government "

having a pie shop next door comes to mind