Captain Oates

Interesting Ways To Die...

Chinese tourist Chang Ming Chuang, 66, bitten and killed by an unobliging hippopotamus he was trying to photograph, at Lake Naivasha, Kenya.  

The Kenyan Star reports that this is the sixth hippo related fatality in the area this year. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Achelous said:

Chinese tourist Chang Ming Chuang, 66, bitten and killed by an unobliging hippopotamus he was trying to photograph, at Lake Naivasha, Kenya.  

The Kenyan Star reports that this is the sixth hippo related fatality in the area this year. 

I’m guessing that it might not be a good idea to want a hippopotamus for Christmas then...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m guessing that it might not be a good idea to want a hippopotamus for Christmas then...

not necessarily

Image result for how much does a baby hippo weigh

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Achelous said:

OK....I live in gator territory, and yes one can go to the swamp or lake and photograph a swimming or sunning alligator if one chooses....knowing they can leap about 15', so one usually is wary of that distance.  Hippos...otoh....I question their agility and dexterity outside of water.  No leaping or sneaking up from behind abilities a gator may have.  So this begs the question, just how fucking close are these brain surgeons getting to the hippo population to take a photograph, in this day of zoom lenses on smart phones no less?   I pray more and more below 70 IQ folks go out there and give the hippos a free meal.

SC

7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

OK....I live in gator territory, and yes one can go to the swamp or lake and photograph a swimming or sunning alligator if one chooses....knowing they can leap about 15', so one usually is wary of that distance.  Hippos...otoh....I question their agility and dexterity outside of water.  No leaping or sneaking up from behind abilities a gator may have.  So this begs the question, just how fucking close are these brain surgeons getting to the hippo population to take a photograph, in this day of zoom lenses on smart phones no less?   I pray more and more below 70 IQ folks go out there and give the hippos a free meal.

SC

People tend to go "Oh vegetarian, it must be peaceful" and get caught out by how quick a hippo can be. Also, jaws that can snap a croc in two. iirc there's more deaths per year from hippo attacks than crocs/gators/sharks combined.

Brilliant creature, though.

39 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

No but I did four years ago. :o  :lol:

at least she was eco-friendly

5 minutes ago, bladan said:

The body of a woman who died after falling off a cliff in France was devoured by vultures in just 45 minutes. There were only bones, clothes and shoes left on the ground

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/06/woman-eaten-by-vultures-cliff_n_3224746.html

2013?  Seriously?

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

2013?  Seriously?

Don’t feed the troll...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't see a problem with this, as long as it wasn't posted before.  Historical deaths can qualify as "interesting".

Must be something in the water....

A man died when he flew a small airplane into his own home early Monday morning following a domestic dispute, police said.  The pilot has been identified as Duane Youd, according to Payson police sergeant, Noemi Sandoval.  Police say, Youd and his wife had at least one domestic violence altercation within the past year and another just before his death.  "They had been drinking. He assaulted her, and witnesses saw this happening,” said Sandoval.  Youd was later booked into the Utah County Sheriff's Office, bailed out and went with a police officer to retrieve some belongings from his Payson home.
SC

Authorities say a worker has died after falling into a vat of oil at a facility near Walt Disney World.  The 61-year-old man slipped and fell into the vat early Wednesday while emptying oil and grease from a tractor-trailer.  Local news outlets reported the facility is part of a district created to provide municipal services to the Disney theme park.

Deputies said witnesses couldn’t pull the man from the oil. He became overwhelmed by fumes and slipped further down.
SC

Feed me!
When trying to rescue three sheep in the high mountains in the municipality of Längenfeld, on Friday a 45-year-old fell to his death.
The crew of the helicopter had been called to rescue. When trying to capture the sheep, one of the two marshals slid over a cliff edge on the wet grass and plunged about 150 meters into the depths.

https://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2932083/

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Another thread for you to be cognisant of sir. :)

https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/8562-deaths-on-live-tv/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On film?

Not sure where to post this but there is a film out today where (*SPOILER ALERT*) you can go and watch 4 people take their final breaths.

• Like 1