Sign in to follow this  
Guest IYG

Double deaths

Guest IYG

President Mobutu and Jeffrey Bernard both died the 6th of September 1997, one day after Mother Teresa.

John Gielgud and Barbara Cartland both died on the 21st of May 2000.

Milton Berle and Dudley Moore both died on the 27th of March 2002, Billy Wilder died a day later.

All of these were on the deathlist and died at the same day (some almost on the same day).

For this phenomenon to happen three times is incredible. The deathlist, are we really beating the odds?

Well odds are odds but lets remember most of these

same death day events were all most likely luck.

Sadly for more then 2 months we have had quite a

bit of bad luck. Hopefully now after such a long wait

maybe we will get even more luck then we just had

starting with Gretchen Franklin.

• Like 1

All of these were on the deathlist and died at the same day (some almost on the same day).

For this phenomenon to happen three times is incredible. The deathlist, are we really beating the odds?

Hardly.

Let's assume, to make things easy, that we have ten hits per year. For any hit in a year, there's a (9 / 365) = 2.57% chance that another hit comes the same day. Since we have 10 hits per year, we may expect to have a double hit in 25.7% of the years. Three double hits during the history of DeathList seems few, rather than many. Of course, in early years the hit rate was lower than 10.

regards,

Hein

Yul Brynner & Orson Welles also died on the same day - 10/10/85

Didn't Georg Solti die on the same day as Diana?

Not quite.

Solti died on 5/9/97, Diana on 31/8/97

Odd topic this is but not so odd that similar thoughts haven't crossed my mind. As a fanatical obituary reader it never ceases to amaze me how people die. No, I don't mean in the sense of good old fashioned death. I am talking about how they die. For example, there are days when let's say 4 or 5 out of 20 names will have given names of Joseph or Helen or something of that nature (the names change on any given day so wheras on Monday it might be a half dozen people named Fred, on Thursday it could be Molly and for Saturday it could be 4 each of Louis and Lois. Makes me think the collectors are suffering from bad eyesight when I see the Louis/Lois, John/Joan, Ellen/Allan, Byron/Bryan sorts of days. The other day there were 3 people unrelated with the same surname and also both a Fiore and a DeFiore. On all these days there are less than 20 total listings so the odds are rather slim that this would ever happen much less on a regular basis and yet it does.

Still don't believe it? Check your local obituaries for a solid month, or check your country death records and you'll see I'm right and I ain't just a whistlin' dixie.

I'm sure Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper died on the same day.........

Now that's just plane crazy :)

I'm sure Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper died on the same day.........

Now that's just plane crazy :)

bad joke.

Guest IYG
Still don't believe it? Check your local obituaries for a solid month, or check your country death records and you'll see I'm right and I ain't just a whistlin' dixie.

I'll take your word for it. :)

Didn't Georg Solti die on the same day as Diana?

Not quite.

Solti died on 5/9/97, Diana on 31/8/97

That's right - same day as mother teresa then! God, they were dropping like flies that week...those were the days...