Sign in to follow this  
Stayin Alive

What 'S' is a sudden loss of brain function?

Bob Holness helped create a nostaglic tribute to Blockbusters tonight by re-creating the infamous Goldrun for Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeout. For those of you too young to remember, Blockbusters ran for 10 years from 1983-1993. But could this be his last Goldrun? Is he headed for a heavenly edition of the quiz, armed with just a Blockbusters sweatshirt and dictionary?

Bob looked very shaky indeed, walking the very short distance from dry ice filled entrance to his podium, all under the watchful gaze of the original fibre-glass cast of Socrates. As the clock started, he began slowly by asking "What S...," only to stop dead in his tracks for at least another 10 seconds before remembering he was asking a question. Not the best approach on a time critical operation, like a quiz-show for example. He sounded very slow when asking his questions. Even so, it was great to see the old boy doing his thing one more time.

Indeed after checking it sadly seems that Bob has had a stroke. Not sure when, but the online Kent Messenger Group Website confirms, "Bob Holness, a long-time judge of the Kent Journalist of the Year awards, now battling back courageously after suffering a stroke." You can see the quote in context at: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/business/featu...feature_115.asp - but thankfully he needs no introduction, unlike June Brown.

Born: 12 November 1928, Vryheid, Natal, South Africa.

Trivia: "One of the earliest actors to 'play' James Bond... One of his daughters was in a pop group [and] had a smash hit with 'I Eat Cannibals'."

I'm putting him firmly forward for next year.

Do I take it that nobody else saw (or will admit to) watching this pivotal television moment?

Were you all too busy taking part in the most pointless sitcom voting platform of all eternity instead?

Death Watch Beatle - man where are you? :D

Did you miss me Bee-Gee? Ain't it typical - you go away for a few days and you come back to find DeathList has scored a hatrick. This happens to me during footy on tv as well - a quick bladder evacuation and the games all but over - let's hope the DeathList doesn't take it's foot off the pedal!

DWB :D

I thought you were ..... :unsure:

Nah, thought you were away. Good to have you back. I take it you missed Bob's apperance.

I did miss the mighty Holness, but thinking about Blockbusters I still get a laugh out of "Can I have a P please Bob". Perhaps Bob now says: "Can I have a pee please nurse"?

DWB :unsure:

My favourite Blockbusters moment was a contestant giving the answer "Orgasm" when it should've been "Organism". ;):lol::lol:

Funny, 72% of the public think Bob Holness is dead!

Is this our Grim Reaper forgotten to sign in? ;)

There is something similar in the Patrick Moore thread.

Funny, 72% of the public think Bob Holness is dead!

It doesn't tell you the real answer - just how people voted.

Bizzarely under "Most Hated Dead" it features the name Jack Sutcliffe, instead of Peter.

...And after reading the PM thread I see that teddy pointed this out days ago, ohps!

Edited by guesty

Was trending on Twitter earlier on, got stoked that I had my second hit of the year then remembered it would just be people talking about the "hilarious" urban myth that he played the sax on "Baker Street".

Anyway, other than the rumours that he's currently doing lines at Brinsworth House with Dickie O'Sullivan, does anyone have any current information?

What is trending?

One of the most talked about topics on Twitter at that particular moment. Usually it's just Justin Bieber and "U KNOW U FROM DETROIT IF", but sometimes barely alive game show hosts make it too.

What is trending?

People yabbering on about something within what during the 1990s we used to call "cyberspace." I've only seen it used as a verb when referring to numerous mentions on Twitter. You know how Americans just love to turn nouns in to verbs. This discussion calls the process "verbing". Two that I hate are "targetting" and "impacting". Also there are people who want to "medal" in the Olympic games. Linguistically I find it vomit-inducing but I suppose vomiting is acceptable.

What can you expect from a nation that can listen to the story of Ladle Rat Rotten Hut and understand it? Perhaps it is something to be admired.

Edit: just been looking for other versions of this Anguish Language lesson from the US and they all seem to involve people who are slightly bonkers so they should feel at home here.

What is trending?

People yabbering on about something within what during the 1990s we used to call "cyberspace." I've only seen it used as a verb when referring to numerous mentions on Twitter. You know how Americans just love to turn nouns in to verbs. This discussion calls the process "verbing". Two that I hate are "targetting" and "impacting". Also there are people who want to "medal" in the Olympic games. Linguistically I find it vomit-inducing but I suppose vomiting is acceptable.

What can you expect from a nation that can listen to the story of Ladle Rat Rotten Hut and understand it? Perhaps it is something to be admired.

Edit: just been looking for other versions of this Anguish Language lesson from the US and they all seem to involve people who are slightly bonkers so they should feel at home here.

Thanks for that, just what I needed, someone unpacking a paper bag in front of a microphone - this is much better

, the Merry Macs.