Lady Die

Harry Potter

And while I'm here, Happy Birthday Robert Pattinson! :birthday:

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Happy Birthday Zoe Wanamaker! :birthday:

Keep clicking....

Yeah, and stick to the hand rolling stuff so's you can land the odd role as a bloke in a radio play!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, and stick to the hand rolling stuff so's you can land the odd role as a bloke in a radio play!

Oh aye, and....

I once heard long-term folkie Ralph McTell talk about having to re-learn his own songs. The point being as he hit middle age he had to change the keys he performed the old ones (like Streets of London which he felt obliged to throw into the set most nights) because his younger voice was higher pitched. He blamed the situation on "the vast tonnage of Old Holborn" he'd smoked and quit smoking so he didn't have to re-learn the same songs again a few years later.

Report of the death of Tom Hodgkins who played the role of Barker in Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them:

Miriam Margolyes getting a lot of traction on Twitter for calling herself a twat on This Morning.

Fine fettle though. Years in her I'd say.

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Paul Ritter (IMDb), English actor, has died aged 54. He appeared in films Quantum of SolaceHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, as well as TV shows Friday Night Dinner and Chernobyl.

Obituaries: Daily MirrorThe IndependentThe GuardianDaily Express.

While I'm about, cross-posting Paul Ritter's death here. Played Eldred Worple, the author of a vampire book who wanted to write Potter's biography in The Half-Blood Prince.

Now, I'll say for certain, the only thing I absolutely remember him from was playing Jimmy Perry in the Dad's Army Story - and it's a terrific performance, especially when he realises he won't get the part of Walker. Catch it somewhere if you haven't seen it.

48 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Now, I'll say for certain, the only thing I absolutely remember him from was playing Jimmy Perry in the Dad's Army Story

Are you telling us you haven't seen Chernobyl?  You need to address that situation pdq. 

It's only five episodes, not some marathon multi-season epic that doesn't get going until halfway through.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Are you telling us you haven't seen Chernobyl?  You need to address that situation pdq. 

It's only five episodes, not some marathon multi-season epic that doesn't get going until halfway through.

Nope. Sounds dreadful, I don't need to be reminded of heading off to university while worrying that radioactive fallout was falling out the sky in the days and months that followed. Wouldn't surprise me if in the next few years there's an uptick in cancers of people my age.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Nope. Sounds dreadful, I don't need to be reminded of heading off to university while worrying that radioactive fallout was falling out the sky in the days and months that followed. Wouldn't surprise me if in the next few years there's an uptick in cancers of people my age.

Why people of your age?  Where did you go to university, Minsk?

Just now, Toast said:

Why people of your age?  Where did you go to university, Minsk?

Heard of winds blowing across Europe, carrying particles?

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Heard of winds blowing across Europe, carrying particles?

Don't patronise me.  At that time I had a job that involved my spending a lot of time in various parts of Europe.

I just wondered what made you in particular feel so vulnerable and why you singled out your age group. Chernobyl had the potential to affect everyone who was alive at that time.

Just now, Toast said:

Don't patronise me.  At that time I had a job that involved my spending a lot of time in various parts of Europe.

I just wondered what made you in particular feel so vulnerable and why you singled out your age group. Chernobyl had the potential to affect everyone who was alive at that time.

You are the one who suggested I might have gone to university in Minsk. Thus you patronised me, seeming to suggest the effects of Chernob might have been localised. I have responded with an answer to your point.

I felt vulnerable, certainly. That decided my choice of viewing.

Maybe I phrased it slightly incorrectly.  I have no statistical of scientific evidence, all I say is it wouldn't surprise me if there is an explosion of cancer cases. Mind you, I feel the same way about laser treatment on the old eyes - perfect storm when in 30 years those who have had it lose their sight because of something resulting from it.

Maybe I'm just scared of everything, I see pitfalls in everything out of the mundane. ;)

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

You are the one who suggested I might have gone to university in Minsk. Thus you patronised me, seeming to suggest the effects of Chernob might have been localised. I have responded with an answer to your point.

I felt vulnerable, certainly. That decided my choice of viewing.

Maybe I phrased it slightly incorrectly.  I have no statistical of scientific evidence, all I say is it wouldn't surprise me if there is an explosion of cancer cases. Mind you, I feel the same way about laser treatment on the old eyes - perfect storm when in 30 years those who have had it lose their sight because of something resulting from it.

Maybe I'm just scared of everything, I see pitfalls in everything out of the mundane. ;)

It's a long time ago now, and people have had the opportunity since to die of all sorts of other things.  We will all die of something, so it wasn't something I thought worth worrying about, then or now.  Some things you can take reasonable precautions against, others not so much.

I do recommend watching the show though, it was superbly well done.

As a Clyde valley resident I'd be more concerned about those nukes in the Holy Loch. 

Or not, because in the small chance anything goes badly wrong with them, folk in Glasgow wont know a thing about it. It'll be the folk in Edinburgh and north England who die slowly. 

I'm great at helping folk's anxieties, I am. :D

• Haha 2

I tend to take the view "It probably won't happen to me, and if it does there's fuck all I can do about it".  99% of the things we worry about never happen.

Ritter was my age. (See how I brought it round to the topic again?) Well, a wee bit older but not by much.

I've always had a feeling with me it will be a sudden aneurysm or haemorrhage (fuck it I ain't looking up the spelling). However, if the good folks of Glesca keep dotting about without their masks on like idiots, it might be something so generously given by the friendly folks of the city. (I'm one jab down and I wasn't sure I was happy about getting it until about an hour before).

I'm going to brave the pubs though on day one of re-opening. And probably day three anaw!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

99% of the things we worry about never happen.

Yeah it's the shit you don't worry about that happens.

Ergo I spend all my time worrying about what I'm not worrying about :D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Toast said:

Fabulous piece of television. Not nearly enough like this around.

I wish others put as much effort into getting it right as Craig Mazin did with his research, sure there's a couple of nods to artistic licence but they're minimal and necessary, it's a fine balance to make a drama that's not a documentary and in my view he gets it spot on. If interested there's a podcast here.

• Like 2

A Florida woman who claimed she was Harry Potter has been arrested in connection with a hit-and-run crash that killed a federal judge and injured a six-year-old boy, authorities said.

Natasia Snape, 28, was being held on suspicion of vehicular homicide, leaving the scene of a crash involving death and other crimes, according to a probable cause affidavit.

SC

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

A Florida woman who claimed she was Harry Potter has been arrested in connection with a hit-and-run crash that killed a federal judge and injured a six-year-old boy, authorities said.

Natasia Snape, 28, was being held on suspicion of vehicular homicide, leaving the scene of a crash involving death and other crimes, according to a probable cause affidavit.

SC

Her name was Snape and she thought she was Harry Potter?

• Haha 3

Saw a clip of her on GMB last month. She sounded shit and looked quite ill. Very sad.

• Sad 1

On 24/09/2021 at 02:00, Bentrovato said:

He seems fine now. I got a notification on Instagram he just went live. He says he is fine and on the mend and then started singing with a guitar.

• Like 1