Deadornot

how did you come here

How did you first find out about deathlist.net?  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I came across DL when I searched for info on Harry Morgan (Colonel Potter in M*A*S*H)  having had an argument with my husband about whether he was alive or not (I was right, as always (I wish!!)) and again for reasons I can't remember when Fay Wray died, been hooked ever since.

Fay Wray took her last breath back in August of 2004.

She was the DL's 8th death of the year. :huh:

Thanks BS

Yep, you are right it was about August last year I started reading the DL, took me about 7 months to pluck up the courage to register, even now am not quite brave enough to post regularly.

P.S. "Calling on you", if you do a search for Stryper you may find I mentioned them earlier :lol: (search engine doesn't seem to work, but it is in the 'Sharon Osborne thread')

I'm fairly sure that I read about deathlist in the Guardian. It was something like 'Why I love... deathlist.net' but I can't find any trace of it now. Does anyone remember this being published?

no not really, maybe this is one of these strange dreams that are supposed to draw you to a particular website like an advert in your dreams?

if you look down to the bottom-left of the page, you may notice this image:

guardian_sotd.gif

which sort of indicates that the Deathlist may have been mentioned in the Guardian at some time.

If I understand correctly, the Admins bribed the editors of the Guardian with a bottle of champagne to give the site a plug.

If I understand correctly, the Admins bribed the editors of the Guardian with a bottle of champagne to give the site a plug.

Oh how wrong you are notapotato - The Guardian actually sent US a bottle of champagne for helping to fill their IT section with a review of DL.net :D

Hmphh. Us moderators never saw that.

I remember me first time ... I was Googling Ronnie Barker, for reasons I cannae remember, and captivated by the morbid humour, joined up. Only to be promptly promoted to moderator, as I was one of the first on the boat here, so to speak. And peeps were obviously captivated by my personality :D (pity it doesn't happen in real life though).

A good friend of mine (who later registered as scribbledum - but only posted the once) told me about the site. I think he knew what a twisted evil person I was underneath the fur and the braces.

And like Mr Yeti, I was very quickly promoted to Moderator. If memory serves, you only had to post about 20 messages to be automatically promoted. Course, when weatherman came along, that rule had to be ditched :P

And now we operate as very much a closed shop - and so far no-one has succesfully bribed their way in (hint hint) :D

Grim Reaper came to collect me, scythe and all, but allowed me to stay a while longer if I joined DL. :D

Is that why he gave you a moderator job?

Is that why he gave you a moderator job?

When you say 'Moderator Job' you imply a waged position of authority. How wrong you are.

My cheques have been timely and not the least bouncy.

My pay cheque arrived as usual ;) unsigned, as usual :P

I was told the Mods had to contribute to the upkeep of this site, and have been sending GR £20 a month. Am I mistaken?? :P

Mind - it's not as much as the £50/month DWB has to pay as an Admin ;)

A friend of mine told me about the site, which she'd discovered whilst being extremely bored at work. I've been checking the lists over the past few years, and have just decided to become a member. This is the first forum I've ever joined - be gentle!

I've been checking the lists over the past few years, and have just decided to become a member. This is the first forum I've ever joined - be gentle!

Congratulations! Apparently you've lurked a while before posting, always a Smart Move.

So, welcome to DeathList.net forum, where bad taste is always in fashion.

PS. Lovely mysterious avatar

regards,

Hein

Congratulations! Apparently you've lurked a while before posting, always a Smart Move.

Thanks! I've never been a 'lurker' before (at least, not that I would admit to publicly ). Perhaps if I also become a 'ranter', then I'll be a 'lurking ranter'. Lofty aspirations... :o

Thanks! I've never been a 'lurker' before (at least, not that I would admit to publicly ). Perhaps if I also become a 'ranter', then I'll be a 'lurking ranter'. Lofty aspirations... :o

Being a lurker is nothing to be ashamed of.

regard,

Hein

Welcome, ie+. Being the destination of so many people bored at work is one of the Death List's proudest achievements. Another is the tiresome pedantry displayed by some of its members, like for instance my pointing out that being a ranting lurker is an oxymoron as surely by posting a rant one is by definition no longer lurking.

being a ranting lurker is an oxymoron as surely by posting a rant one is by definition no longer lurking

Hallo Ron -

I was wondering if anyone would take the time to point this out, and I decided that if they did, I'd respond "a little less emphasis on the 'moron', please" but have decided that's just too banal to actually include in this forum, so I won't.

I like the idea of being a ranting lurker. Like those people you see on the street, ranting to themselves most fervently - usually in some shady, secluded back alley - yet still maintaining the air of lurking. Except in cyberspace.

Besides, doesn't it depend on how you define 'lurking'?

Hello ie+,

Nothing is too banal for posting in this forum, so feel free to point out any excruciating detail on the subject matter of your choice, no matter how obscure or uninteresting you may fear others will find it. A few words of caution though, any egregarious typos, mispellings and the like in a posting are fair game for the rest of us to point out, likely accompanied by mocking derision. Ranters provide the best subject matter for this, so be sure to check the site on days when a sympathetic public figure dies, and watch as the "came here via Google" brigade stumble upon us and spew out their bestest venom. Our Emlyn Hughes thread is currently being considered by Vinton Cerf and Al Gore for entry into the Internet hall of fame.

....... and spew out their bestest venom. .........

Like this perhaps?

Nothing is too banal for posting in this forum, so feel free to point out any excruciating detail on the subject matter of your choice, no matter how obscure or uninteresting you may fear others will find it. A few words of caution though, any egregarious typos, mispellings and the like in a posting are fair game for the rest of us to point out, likely accompanied by mocking derision. Ranters provide the best subject matter for this, so be sure to check the site on days when a sympathetic public figure dies, and watch as the "came here via Google" brigade stumble upon us and spew out their bestest venom. Our Emlyn Hughes thread is currently being considered by Vinton Cerf and Al Gore for entry into the Internet hall of fame.

Cheers for the advice, Ron. Now if I can only figure out how this whole quoting thing works... :o