Sign in to follow this  
Deadornot

500 members (almost)

With Lewd_squirrel joining the amount of registered members goes up to 499.

Half a thousand almost registered.

by the way this doesn't mean to register with deathlist again.

Well this is a cause for celebration. :P

Well this is a cause for celebration.  :P

You know what, I'm happy. :lol:

regards,

Hein

Does anyone else think that 'dead mad' (500) and deadornot may be the same person?

Does anyone else think that 'dead mad' (500) and deadornot may be the same person?

You mean in the same way that weatherman90 and weatherman91 were the same person.

Or Honez, heaven can wait and The Yeti? In fact, have you never noticed that you never get two Admins in at the same time?

I have come to the conculsion that there are really only about 20 members, each with 25 names :P

S'cuse my Northern pragmatism but......we're not getting any younger and death can strike at any time from any direction.

Might be 499 this time tomorrow.

S'cuse my Northern pragmatism but......we're not getting any younger and death can strike at any time from any direction.

Might be 499 this time tomorrow.

I've not encountered this Northern pragmatism before. What are the unique features of this pragmatism? Are other pragmatisms available? :P

Hi, we're not - I assure you.

It's to do with the 'calling a spade a spade' outlook on life. Basically if something is obviously a certain way those steeped in the traditions of Northern England tend to have little regard for anyone attempting to see it any other way. For example, those 'educationalists' this week who want to rebrand failing an exam as 'deferred success' would be well advised to avoid pubs in West Cumbria where their ideas might lead to people reasoning with them by way of a decent kicking. A good recent DL example is the flagrant mocking of the self-opinionated excuse for an intellectual and poet that is Art Garfunkel that I kicked off on the USS Enterprise thread today.

Other features of Northern pragmatism exist all over the Deathlist first off the grim fatalism we consistently promote evident in phrases like 'Life's hard and then you die' and secondly our favoured escape from such matters evident in grim and - to some - tasteless humour. Something I appreciate about this site.

I hope that explains grim Northern pragmatism. I'm not claiming the DL as its spiritual home but I feel at home here.

Other features of Northern pragmatism exist all over the Deathlist first off the grim fatalism we consistently promote evident in phrases like 'Life's hard and then you die' and secondly our favoured escape from such matters evident in grim and - to some - tasteless humour.

Although I'm Dutch, I firmly subscribe to that outlook on life (and death).

Something I appreciate about this site.

That, and the joy of poking fun at celebreties.

regards,

Hein

Cheers Hein

I never claimed such an outlook as the exclusive preserve of the Northern English. In fact your posts have a similar outlook on life to my Dutch mate who works as a psychologist in the UK, looking after brain injured people. He's brilliant at his job, and great with a grim one-line joke over a bottle of wine.

I hope you don't think that anyone in the south thinks that 'deferred success' was a good idea! I suppose I knew what you meant it just gets on my wick a little that traits such as that are seen as almost exclusive to Northerners when in reality the whole country probably has a similar outlook. I get tired of being told about the north/south divide and the specific characteristics of different regions when the people I meet are so similar.

I realise that this post is hardly going to associate me with 'northern pragmatism' or separate me from some idea of a whinging soft southerner but I'm not sure I really care. :P

Guest IYG
500 now

I'm so happy I'll do a dance.

Or maybe I won't. Wow, pointless reply, I guess it fits the topic.

nothing to do with new guy.

nothing to do with new guy.

So it was all your doing then. :P

actually the opposite