millwall32

Alex Higgins (And Snooker)

39 minutes ago, charon said:

Nah.

The next wave of Chinese robot clone players is about to hit.

Century after century, 147's after 147's.

And it will be boring as fuck.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet. Or that Ding Yunhui (?) never was a world champion.

Its about too I think.

The money poured in over there and sheer weight of population make it a certainty in the next decade.

23 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

*fluck?

Took a second ....

• Like 1

On 17/03/2018 at 13:45, charon said:

Out of boredom I looked at the winners of Pot Black. Only till 86 obviously, as an abomination after that.

Ray Reardon 8/10/32

John Spencer 18/9/35-11/7/06

Graham Miles 11/5/41- 12/10/14

Eddie Charlton 31/10/29- 8/12/04

Perrie Mans 14/10/40

Doug Mountjoy 8/6/42

Cliff Thorburn 16/1/48

Steve Davis 23/8/57

Terry Griffith 16/10/47

Jimmy White 2/5/62

Surprised Mans is still above the pocket, and Davis will outlive them all by 20/30 years.

Still with us. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perrie_Mans

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/03/2019 at 13:53, millwall32 said:

The man who brought snooker to the crucible theatre, after his wife went to see a play there, and what a fabulous home it's been. Anyone looking for a mainstream obit has probably got it through the world championship; his sons were on telly talking about him today. 

Anyway Phil Yates manages to lower the bar somewhat further than any of us with this one (commentating about Mark Williams - who had been in A&E suspecting he was having some sort of major heart problem only hours before this match....). Classy Phil..

Maybe I've been watching the wrong sessions, but I haven't heard Willie Thorne's dulcet commentary yet.

Virgo, McManus, Doherty, Hendry and Taylor. Can understand Griffiths as I think he's still got a player he coaches in.

Ali Carter's accent gets stronger every time I hear him, doing well for a repeated pick for the DDP.

24 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Maybe I've been watching the wrong sessions, but I haven't heard Willie Thorne's dulcet commentary yet.

Virgo, McManus, Doherty, Hendry and Taylor. Can understand Griffiths as I think he's still got a player he coaches in.

Ali Carter's accent gets stronger every time I hear him, doing well for a repeated pick for the DDP.

Nope you haven't he no longer commentates on the triple crown events. Not his choice. Think he still does welsh. May have something to do with a ) his well known gambling and b) leaving his mic on and swearing (but Virgo wasn't sacked for the same despite being far worse a commentator). Here's his thoughts on the matter....

Think Griffiths focuses mainly on the coaching side now to be honest.

Shaun Murphy joining the punditry team on the afternoon whilst his match was still in progress and due to return in the evening; and relatively close; was perhaps the most bizarre decision I've seen in a while. 

I genuinely can't understand how the BBC still employ Taylor as a commentator though. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I think Willie Thorne was dropped by the BBC, seem to remember reading somewhere Willie moaning he had no luck after been dropped by the BBC, being in massive Debt due to his gambling problem and having health problems.

20 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Nope you haven't he no longer commentates on the triple crown events. Not his choice. Think he still does welsh. May have something to do with a ) his well known gambling and b) leaving his mic on and swearing (but Virgo wasn't sacked for the same despite being far worse a commentator). Here's his thoughts on the matter....

Think Griffiths focuses mainly on the coaching side now to be honest.

Shaun Murphy joining the punditry team on the afternoon whilst his match was still in progress and due to return in the evening; and relatively close; was perhaps the most bizarre decision I've seen in a while. 

Great arrows.

So tomorrow and Monday the snooker World Championship will be between a man who did nothing wrong and certainly never tried to throw matches (4:41)

or a man who thinks he's god gift to mankind, but is just a tool.

Ray Reardon scheduled to be guest of honour at the final for next year's British Open.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 30/04/2019 at 11:34, YoungWillz said:

Doing very well for a repeated pick for the DDP.

Got the spare birth at the masters after Ronnie withdraw as he was 17th and will grace your screens in the final this afternoon against Stuart Bingham....

Good luck to him, about time he won a triple crown event....

• Like 1

On 19/12/2019 at 20:40, Phantom said:

Ray Reardon scheduled to be guest of honour at the final for next year's British Open.

Delayed response to this but there's been no British open since 2004?

2 hours ago, Deathray said:

Delayed response to this but there's been no British open since 2004?

I'll have to double check, I was dubious myself so I was sure the article I was reading was just from a couple of months ago. Unfortunately I was reading it on my phone which I no longer have as it was stating to develop issues after being dropped where part of the screen didn't work for me to copy and paste stuff

13 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I'll have to double check, I was dubious myself so I was sure the article I was reading was just from a couple of months ago. Unfortunately I was reading it on my phone which I no longer have as it was stating to develop issues after being dropped where part of the screen didn't work for me to copy and paste stuff

Oh fair enough! :) Just confused me... 

Can't think of snooker events that have 'guests of honours' to be honest.

Ex- world champs are always invited to the crucible final I think; and often turn up at other events; but I can't think of one that has 'guests of honour' except the crucible parade of former winners in 2017 (think they did similar in 2007, I wasn't into snooker massively at that point -)....

(the masters has the century club; which is essentially a boozer with a view of the pitch for ex players,  the Barbican (UK Champs) has an upstairs balcony closed to the public where ex players tend to sit and watch away from riff raff (but you have to walk through it to go for a piss, get a drink etc so it's not that closed off... not been to the crucible (yet) so no idea but don't think it has a separate area directly overlooking tables with it being so small but definitely players bars......)

Might be the Welsh Open as that trophies named after him  (but it was renamed in 2016...)

Just noticed Steve Davis is wearing a hearing aid, not noticed that before?

15 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Just noticed Steve Davis is wearing a hearing aid, not noticed that before?

His earpiece to the production box?

Parrott is sporting (see what I did there?) one too.

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

His earpiece to the production box?

Parrott is sporting (see what I did there?) one too.

The fleshy coloured one? Think you're right though;

It's been a long fucking day.... don't remember them looking that much like hearing aids in the past.... swear they used to be in ear?

24 minutes ago, Deathray said:

The fleshy coloured one? Think you're right though;

It's been a long fucking day.... don't remember them looking that much like hearing aids in the past.... swear they used to be in ear?

See it now, hmm.

Maybe it translates Hazel Irvine into cockney.....:lol:

• Haha 1

And one of the few snooker players most deadpoolers have actually heard of continues his long long wait for a major tournament victory.

2 world finals.

1 masters final.

He'll do it one day I'm sure. 

He turned pro back in 1996..... good things come to those who wait, I'm sure.

(To be fair he was 17th in ranking and only got into tournament cos Ronnie's took a holiday.)

Willie Thorne diagnosed with leukaemia. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Willie Thorne diagnosed with leukaemia. 

Hope he doesn't catch covid the last person with leukaemia who caught it was 21 year old football coach also in Spain and he didn't last long.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1