Sign in to follow this  
Windsor

Are You Being Served?

if i was Mike Berry i wouldn't do anything too strenuous till 2017 was out of the way just to be on the safe side !

Mike Berry......

His brother might be worth a shout. Mid 70's now, and had the look about him that one day he will just cowp over.

Growing up I was completely fascinated and entertained by this show. A true ensemble piece. RIP Nicholas and thank you for your work.

My daughter has the boxed set and this is her guilty pleasure. It is surprising how good it is and how well the ensemble work together. Does go downhill in the last couple of series.

I was only ever allowed to watch it when I stayed at my nan's because she loved it and my parents hated it. She also used to warm my pyjamas over the radiator before bedtime as well and let me have an extra helping of apple pie and this why nans are great.

• Like 5

I was only ever allowed to watch it when I stayed at my nan's because she loved it and my parents hated it. She also used to warm my pyjamas over the radiator before bedtime as well and let me have an extra helping of apple pie and this why nans are great.

You clearly never knew my Nan who used to think that when her dog tried to bite us it was because we were annoying it by being children.

I used to watch it every week that it was on. Never understood most of the innuendos or fully understood the references about Mrs. Slocum's pussy.

You clearly never knew my Nan who used to think that when her dog tried to bite us it was because we were annoying it by being children.

That's the kind of Nan I would be. :P

• Like 1

With the passing of Clive Dunn and Nicholas Smith we really need to focus on another classic British Sit-com

Candidates might include

• It Ain't Half Hot Mum
  • Hi-De-Hi
  • Allo, Allo
  • Only Fools and Horses
  • Keeping Up Appearances
  • Open All Hours

Although the grim reaper has made a head start with some of these series there is plenty of scope.

David Jason or Windsor Davies for the main list I say.

We have an Only Fools thread, but as the cast skewed pretty young (excluding Uncle Albert and Grandpa, obviously) any deaths will be of the heart attack/cancer variety. David Jason does look like shit these days though.

We have an Only Fools thread, but as the cast skewed pretty young (excluding Uncle Albert and Grandpa, obviously) any deaths will be of the heart attack/cancer variety. David Jason does look like shit these days though.

But we have already lost Trigger and Mike the Barman (who could also have appeared in the IAAHM lists).

But we have already lost Trigger and Mike the Barman (who could also have appeared in the IAAHM lists).

Plus Eve Motley who would have been a semi- regular had she not died of an overdose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Mottley

There is some overlap with some cast members with David Griffiths appearing in KUP and Hi de Hi and others too I'm sure.

Last of the Summer Wine might be interesting to track as there was a large cast.

British sitcoms often seem to have a younger cast member die before the oldsters, Christopher Blake died before Mollie Sugden, James Back before the Dad's Army oldsters, Richard Beckinsale was the first from Porridge to go, Wendy Richard before a couple of older Are you being Served cast, Gilly Coman from Bread though calling that a comedy is a stretch.

• Like 2

The reason the LOTSW had such a large cast is that they had to keep replacing the cast members that died.

Not to mention Grandad, Uncle Albert, and Sid the cafe owner

I was looking for a "sitcom stars" thread, and this is the closest I got.

Kris Marshall, who was in My Family, Love Actually and in a role I don't quite understand on the BT ads, is in intensive care. I also thought he was in the film Wimbledon, but that is apparently another actor, although they look very similar to me.

This makes me wonder which other sitcom/soap stars could succumb to the cruel and untimely hand of fate.

Jo Absolom from Eastenders

David Platt

Patsy Kensit

June Whitfield

Sonia from Eastenders

The one out of Spandau Ballet

The rest of My Family

George and Mildred

Penelope Keith

Joanna Lumley

Mike out of the Young Ones

Actually I'm struggling to think of many sitcoms ...

Mildred's long dead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yootha_Joyce

Carla Lane has outstayed her welcome. I think she should be the next to go.

Handrejka asked and a mere 8 years later

Carla Lane: actual pan breed.

Turns out she was a lot older than I thought she was!

There's a Porridge one as well. The only one I'm looking forward to is the Hancock's Half Hour one because I've heard the radio version with Kevin McNally and he's very good.

Mike Berry upset at not being cast for the remake. http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/you-being-served-star-mike-8699280

Meantime, the remake does breathe new life into this thread...[/quote

There's a remake in the works? Is nothing sacred?

SC

You should be able to quote that, aren't you?

Why isn't this thing working?

Edited by joeyruss

Mike Berry upset at not being cast for the remake. http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/you-being-served-star-mike-8699280

Meantime, the remake does breathe new life into this thread...

There's a remake in the works? Is nothing sacred?

SC

You should be able to quote that, aren't you?

Why isn't this thing working?

FTFY

He was only in the last two series of the show after Trevor Bannister flounced off. That's why he's no doubt not been recast, because he's irrelevant.

• Like 1

on BBC1 Sunday 28th August.

IMG.jpg

• Like 1

on BBC1 Sunday 28th August.

IMG.jpg

Nooooooo, nay, nay, and thrice nay.

• Like 1

Now, is Nigel Norman Fletcher Ingrid's son or Raymond's? :sherlock:

God alone knows what state Mrs Slocombes pussy will be in after all these years.Doesn't bear thinking about really... :puke:

Well, I loved the remake.

Make more.

• Like 2