football_fan

Dead Drummers

Travis Barker, the drummer for Blink 182, is critically ill after surviving a plane crash which killed four other passengers

Wasn't this the same Travis Barker who was falsely reported dead about a year ago???

Yes.

There were also rumors that Perry Farrell (Jane's Addiction frontman) and Gavin DeGraw were on the plane, but both were not and are still alive. Now there are rumors that one of the dead is Shanna Moakler, Travis Barker's ex. However, there are other rumors that the female who died was identified as just an assistant of Travis (and not Shanna). So who knows?????

Right now, this plane crash is big news in the states b/c there was the possibility that all three musicians (Perry Farrell, Gavin DeGraw, and Travis Barker) were on the plane during the crash. This could've easily been another tragedy like February 3, 1959. Imagine if all three were on the plane and none of them made it...America would be mourning the loss of three prominent young musicians.

But it looks like all of them are gonna be okay (Travis is still in critical condition, but rumor has it the doctors are optimistic that he'll make it).

Travis Barker is VERY lucky to havep pull through. Bernie Mac notwithstanding, many celebrities who were on the brink of death have miraculously pulled through this year (Morgan Freeman, Kelsey Grammar, Patrick Swayze, Elizabeth Taylor).

God must really love our American celebrities. ;)

With respect, none of them would have matched up to Buddy Holly, or even Lynyrd Skynrd.....;)

I think there weren't a lot of people in 1959 that saw the planecrash as a serious lose then, mainly because someone like Buddy Holly was at the time only populair with teenagers (a small part of the population). Because he died so young people make him bigger and he becomes a product. Just like: Jean Harlow, James Dean, Marilyn Monroe, Che Geuvara, Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrisson, Bruce Lee, Elvis Presley, John Lennon (was already an icon), Bob Marley, Andy Warhol, Brandon Lee, River Phoenix, Kurt Cobain, Tupac, Anna Nicole Smith and Heath Ledger (last two are becoming it)

Did I miss one???

I would actually add Tim Russert to that list. Although Russert was a fairly well known and respected journalist, he became much more well known this year prior to and after his death. He became more well known due to his extensive coverage of the 2008 US primaries.

If a person becomes a product, his or her image gets overly misused by comercialication.

Geuvara's face on T-shirts bought by people who don't even know who he was.

Bruceploitation films come out with LOST FOOTAGE of Bruce Lee (home video's of him as a kid).

CD's come out with rerused footage of Holly, Hendrix, Joplin, The (original) Doors, Presley, Marley, Nirvana, Tupac etc.

If you flip trough the posters in a store you easily see more than five of the above names apearing there.

I can't see Tim Russert fit this disscription.

Tim Russert has written a couple of memoirs (Big Russ & Me and Wisdom of Our Fathers) are both are in pretty high demand in the states. Bookstores everywhere are prominently placing these books on the "Hot items" shelf. So in that regard, Russert has become somewhat of an icon.

I would probably add Steve Irwin (Crocodile Hunter) to the above list as well.

• Like 1

Tim Russert?! FFS man, he was a political journalist, almost completely unknown outside of the US. I doubt any pimpled youth are going to have pictures of him on their bedroom wall. What does he have to do with dead drummers again?

For probably the only time ever, I agree completely with Vaagheid.

Drummers...

They're special.

Drummer Steve Tate held up bank with music stand

“At one stage he was the top pick of his profession,” said Andrew Espley, for the defendant. But the desperate robbery, he said, was “ham-fisted”. “The fact that he used a bicycle as a getaway vehicle says something about his ineptness.”

Jimmy Carl Black, 70, the drummer with Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention, has died of lung cancer.

"They went into Whitney Studios, and in four and a half hours, the record was done. Frank was like 'What do you mean done?' and Don said 'The record's done Frank!'"

RIP

Mitch Mitchell has been found dead in a hotel room in Portland

Ah, I'm so glad wrote the inevitable " Jammin wiv 'Endrix in 'eaven " tribute that seems to be trotted out for every hoary old rocker. I bet even when Cliff Richard dies someone will suggest that he's "J.W.E. up there"

My sister and I always have a race to see who can find the first " Jammin' wiv 'Endrix " reference, so I win this round if you're reading!

Ah, I'm so glad wrote the inevitable " Jammin wiv 'Endrix in 'eaven " tribute that seems to be trotted out for every hoary old rocker. I bet even when Cliff Richard dies someone will suggest that he's "J.W.E. up there"

Hopefully a more invigorating version of 'Mistletoe and Wine' would ensue. Or, more optimistically, 'Endrix might persuade Clifford to form a more intimate acquaintance with 'Devil Woman'.

Could they be releasing a new album now, channelled by a medium?

Could they be releasing a new album now, channelled by a medium?

If Eva Cassidy can do it then I can't see why not

Michael Lee, former drummer with Little Angels, Robert Plant, The Cult, amongst many others, dead at 39 apparently. Rather sad news - saw him live countless times and met him a couple of times and he was a lovely bloke.

Michael Lee former drummer for Little Angels, The Cult and Page & Plant is dead at the age of 39

Both of you reported the same death at 02:21 AM! That's strange.

Billy Wilson, Rock N Roll's "first" drummer is dead after battling pancreatic cancer. First drummer .. I'm sure .. um .. that could be debated.

Both of you reported the same death at 02:21 AM! That's strange.

Billy Wilson, Rock N Roll's "first" drummer is dead after battling pancreatic cancer. First drummer .. I'm sure .. um .. that could be debated.

That is weird, I had a look on the site and no one had posted any info

I had a quick look through the report, but can't find out what Michael Lee died of.

Munetaka Higuchi, Japanese drummer for the metal band 'Loudness' has been diagnosed with Hepatocellular carcinoma which involves the liver. In most cases it basically means you have 3 - 6 months to live. His obituary value really isn't anything to scream about but he will certainly be another contributer in this category. I recently asked myself, what is it about drummers? Is it the loudness of the drums which concludes to such a relentless statistic of drummer obituaries? Tonight, I will leave that question with all of you.

No more Loudness for Munetaka Higuchi, who has just moved on to eternal silence at the age of 49.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=109888

Jazz drummer Omar Clay is dead at 73. He had been suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease since last summer.

It didn't take him very long to crumble.

Re Bruford; more career change than life-threatening issues I'd say.

Bruford also has a book coming out in March, Bill Bruford: The Autobiography, already available for pre-sale at many online outlets. Bruford explains, “I don't feel I need further justifications or explanations with respect to my retirement from the road, but for those of an inquisitive nature, the book will explain my decision in greater depth."

Bruford also told AAJ, “I will also still write and talk on The Pleasures and Perils of Playing Percussion in Public (!). My US agent, Laurel Wicks at Ted Kurland Associates, is already soliciting book- reading/guest speaker engagements at North American colleges for after the book release as we speak."

And so, while Bruford's retirement from the live scene is a sad occasion for his legion of fans, the still healthy drummer will continue to remain an active force for many years to come.

Buffalo Springfield drummer Dewey Martin has died aged 68. :)

He sang backing vocals on their biggest hit “For What It’s Worth” – in addition to providing the LSD that he claimed inspired Stephen Stills to write the song.

• Like 1