football_fan

Dead Drummers

14 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

David O'Brien, the original drummer for Animotion, who performed on their 1980s hit 'Obsession', died January 13th at age 71.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?n=david-obrien&pid=191323851

Funny, they just aborted a tour after reforming from the ashes.  Just last week!  
SC

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2010 at 14:46, Falkekopf said:

Whilst looking to see if there were any undates on the drummers we know are unwell I found a few more who may be about to drop off of the drum stool. I've listed them below for your perusal.

Bill Ward 61 Black Sabbath Various health problems over the years inc. heart attack.

Clive Burr 52 Ex Iron Maiden Multiple Sclerosis (d. 2013)

Dale 'Buffin' Griffin 61 Ex Mott The Hoople Altzheimers disease. (d. 2016)

Charlie Watts 68 Rolling Stones Throat cancer (in remission)

Richie Hayward 64 Little Feat Liver cancer. (d. 2010)

Joey Jordison (#1) 34 Slipknot Hopitalised late last year. Unspecified health problems

Peter Criss 64 Ex Kiss Survived breast cancer.

Clyde Stubblefield 66 Ex James Brown Survived bladder cancer. Now has kidney failure. (d. 2017)

Jet Black 71 The Stranglers Has missed gigs due to ill health and fatigue.

Topper Headon 54 Ex The Clash Former heroin addict.

Ginger Baker 70 Ex Cream Age and former cocaine addiction.

Levon Helm 69 The Band Overcame throat cancer. Had throat lesion removed in 2009. (d. 2012)

Tommy Lee 47 Motley Crue Has been teetering on the edge of oblivion for years.

Lee Kerslake 63 Ex Uriah Heep Forced to leave Uriah Heep due to 'ongoing health problems'

Ed Cassidy 86 Spirit Worlds oldest rock drummer (d. 2012)

Carlos Cadona (6025) n/k Ex Dead Kennedys Major psychiatric problems.

Keith Baker 61 Ex Uriah Heep Prostate cancer

Updated list above.

Kerslake's most recent interview: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/lee_kerslake_i_put_my_platinum_ozzy_albums_on_bedroom_wall_so_i_can_see_them_every_time_i_go_to_sleep_if_i_never_wake_up.html

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:59, alt obits guy said:

Paul Whaley, the drummer for the San Francisco heavy metal band Blue Cheer, has died.  He was 72.

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/music/paul-whaley-drummer-who-invented-heavy-metal-with-blue-cheer-dies-at-72

Aw, man - only just seen this. I love Blue Cheer - acid rock the way it should be, brutal and unafraid!

• Like 1

On 18/02/2019 at 09:15, YoungWillz said:

https://podcastone.com/episode/ET---Lee-Kerslake

Interesting interview.  I’m not going to say what makes it interesting but will edit this after Cup teams turned in.  He talks for 40 min if you care to listen.

SC

so for those who didn’t listen (all but maybe 2 of you) about 3 minutes from the end he says his drs haven’t given up and are about to try another drug.  Will it get him to 2020?  Unlikely.  Will it extend him beyond Cup play?  May well.  He also sounds pretty healthy as audio goes.  I had considered him for March, now I’m waiting til May to check in on him.  

^^^DDP pick, unique for The Whipping Posts if (when, surely) a QO comes in. Sounds like an interesting character from what I've read.

On 27/02/2019 at 15:25, Sir Creep said:

https://podcastone.com/episode/ET---Lee-Kerslake

Interesting interview.  I’m not going to say what makes it interesting but will edit this after Cup teams turned in.  He talks for 40 min if you care to listen.

SC

so for those who didn’t listen (all but maybe 2 of you) about 3 minutes from the end he says his drs haven’t given up and are about to try another drug.  Will it get him to 2020?  Unlikely.  Will it extend him beyond Cup play?  May well.  He also sounds pretty healthy as audio goes.  I had considered him for March, now I’m waiting til May to check in on him.  

I did, though Kerslake is a mumbler and the host (and his 20 min rant about lip synching) was very dull.

The 4 take aways, as much as there was:

- His PSA count is 2025!!!! (200 iirc is cancer, 300 is emergency)
- He "Can feel it in my back because its in the bones and spine."
- He mumbles the drug name to sound like zalmandah, I tried several times and couldn't make it out clearly. Possibly Zometa which is for metastatic prostatecancer, and which slows some of the nastier cancer effects (like bone fractures).
- NHS gave him a year to live in June 2018.
  • Like 1

On 18/07/2017 at 16:37, JQW said:

I've heard that noteworthy LA session drummer Hal Blaine hasn't got long left. 

Dead according to his Facebook page...

• Like 1

Missed him out of my DDP team this year. Never mind...

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2008 at 12:14, TAFKAG said:

Done.

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Hal Blaine dead on Twittersphere.

Been ninjoeyed again, sorry to say...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Been ninjoeyed again, sorry to say...

Yeah, that's why I deleted it. But while I was trying to, you were quoting it, thus stopping my amendment, cheers.

First visit in days and I get turned over. *sigh*

Oddly the music round of tonight's edition of University Challenge featured four tracks that Wrecking Crew bassist Carole Kaye played on. Blaine probably played on most of those too.

Also, as is the case with so many recent posts, JR's post didn't show up in my search...why? No name.

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Any wonder those of us who take a little extra time to check get turned over then get our noses rubbed in it are bothered less and less?

Back when one of my bods goes...December at this rate! :lol:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

You didn't mention his name in your post, so it wouldn't show up in a search.  :(

• Like 1

Hal Blaine was a survivor of the Hartford circus fire of 1944.  So a tenuous link to some trivia...

Another survivor was 'The Armless and Legless Wonder', Frieda Pushnik who was on stage and helpless when the inferno took hold, before being rescued by a courageous minstrel singer who carried her to safety.  

• Thanks 1