football_fan

Dead Drummers

"Gallego joined the band in 1992 and recorded three CDs with Masacre, including the 2004, "Total Death". "

(from Reality TV World)

Roy Brooks, drummer and one of the greatest jazz musicians to emerge from Detroit has died at age 67.

More here.

Have we given any more thought to Max Roach? True, his Alzheimer's is recent and he's a bit on the young side for DL, but on the other hand, we were pleasantly surprised with James Doohan, who was but a few years older and a lot less Alzheimerey.

Gotta say everybody i'm impressed with the deaths of all these drummers.

This must be some sort of record breaking year involving the

catagory of "most deaths by people who play one instrument"

It's a shame though that we don't have any drummers included on

this years list. Perhaps next year guitarists will get the calling and

perhaps Les Paul can become a graduate on only his second year

around?

Guest Toke Deltorso
Keith Moon also the best mate of the Late Great Vivian Stanshall, oh to have spent half an hour in their company, never mind might still get it in Heaven or.....Hell!

Viv Stanshall eh!, that brings some memories back- Bonzo dog , great! , whatever happened to neil innes. ;)

Keith Moon also the best mate of the Late Great Vivian Stanshall, oh to have spent half an hour in their company, never mind might still get it in Heaven or.....Hell!

Viv Stanshall eh!, that brings some memories back- Bonzo dog , great! , whatever happened to neil innes. :)

I'm going to see him, with the rest of the Bonzo's, on the 28th

Link.

Mike Gius of !!!

Never heard of him / them, but another to add to this thread!

How would you pronounce the band's name? Are they a bit like that 80s band whose name was some weird symbol*? I'll post a pic if I can find one (might be a bit difficult to put through a search engine, though!)

* No, I don't mean "The Artist formerly known as..."

Thanks for that, M-L!

If anyone can remember the band I'm thinking of, post it here. I think they only had one hit some time around the late 80s, or possibly a little later. It was supposedly pronounced something like "ffrrrrrrr" - how stupid is that?

Search over! It was this lot:

Freur

... who later became "Underworld" and had the hit "Born Slippy".

Info on the squiggle nonsense

blimey, he was only 61? he certainly crammed a lot into his career if he played on over 80 albums

Jazz drummer Sherman Ferguson dead at 61

"played on more than 80 albums with Dizzy Gillespie and George Shearing among others"

I don't know what it is about drummers, too much drumming?

They are dropping dead constantly.

But the one armed drummer of Def Leopard is still alive so there's a survivor.

Guest Himler

Moon The Lune used to enjoy cruising around Stamford Hill driving a milk float while dressed in a Nazi uniform. :o

so uncle ernie could truly have been the fastest milkman in (north) west (london)... aw, too contrived.

another dead drummer is paul hammond, who played on the second and third atomic rooster albums. he went about twelve years ago, the effects of alcholoism. if you ever chance upon rooster's second album, it has a gatefold sleeve with the three members sitting in a graveyard looking miserable. two of them are dead, and the other is a bit of a casualty. vince crane topped himself in '89, and john cann lives in seclusion, out near norwich (at least he did last i heard of him).

very sad to see that basil kirchin went last year: worlds within worlds is one of the most amazing albums i've ever heard. and his work on the dr phibes and mutations soundtracks is superb.

what IS it about drummers?

Guest Himler
so uncle ernie could truly have been the fastest milkman in (north) west (london)... aw, too contrived.

another dead drummer is paul hammond, who played on the second and third atomic rooster albums. he went about twelve years ago, the effects of alcholoism. if you ever chance upon rooster's second album, it has a gatefold sleeve with the three members sitting in a graveyard looking miserable. two of them are dead, and the other is a bit of a casualty. vince crane topped himself in '89, and john cann lives in seclusion, out near norwich (at least he did last i heard of him).

very sad to see that basil kirchin went last year: worlds within worlds is one of the most amazing albums i've ever heard. and his work on the dr phibes and mutations soundtracks is superb.

what IS it about drummers?

I wonder if they will ever remake "Tommy", perhaps Gary Glitter could play Uncle Ernie?

:P

another dead drummer, but a man of mystery in some ways... Pierre Moerlen, who was one of many to pass through several versions of Gong, taking the name with him at one point to form his own jazz/rock version with his brother Benoit and Mirielle Bauer (aka the missus). the odd thing is that according to one version of events he dies five years ago from cancer, and another is that it was two years ago from heart attack. is either one correct, or is the poor sod actually still alive and tired of hippies asking him if he's dead?

• Like 1