football_fan

Dead Drummers

It's beginning to look like I have a morbid fascination with dead drummers! :)

Noticed yesterday when I Googled James Brown's old tub thumper Clyde Stubblefield that there was no update on his Wiki page since last year when he was awaiting kidney transplant surgery and hoping his friends could raise some money to help with medical bills. None of this looks good for him long term. Tragic when you think he's probably the most sampled musician in history, and gets nothing in return.

Clive Burr anybody?

Iron Maidens ex-drummer stricken with MS.

Got him in my DDP but I'm not sure it will go down as one of my better DP picks.

Steve Reid, who banged the skins for Miles Davis, Fela Kuti, Sun Ra, James Brown and as a Motown session player, has put down the sticks aged 66.

Spade man, s'cuse me going off-topic for a second but, aren't you 100 years old in December? Are we - like - doing anything to celebrate the fact hereabouts?

Taking a dump on Bob Wills's grave and kicking a woman to death.

Any woman in particular? Might I suggest Anthea Turner or Cilla Black. Or anyone off Coronation Street.

Any woman in particular? Might I suggest Anthea Turner or Cilla Black. Or anyone off Coronation Street.

I think this is the exact kind of quandry the "poll" function on these boards was created for.

I'm sure most of us hereabouts are familiar with the incomparable genius of Spade Cooley, a legend of western swing. But if you're struggling to follow the pithy gems above, this extract from his Wikipedia page:

Murder of Ella Mae Evans

In 1961, his wife expressed her wish to be divorced, and a drunken Cooley responded by beating her and stomping on her body until she died. During the trial Cooley suffered a heart attack while he was delivered his prison sentence. After serving eight years of his sentence, the state of California gave him a temporary furlough in order to play a benefit concert for the Deputy Sheriffs Association of Alameda County at the Paramount Theater in Oakland. After the performance, he suffered a fatal heart attack in the backstage area.

might help.

Or you could just enjoy the timeless magic on

One day it'll be safe to go to joints in London where they play Western Swing without having to put up with an audience of people just-turned-30 who have realised they're too unattractive to get on the neo-burlesque craze and have instead become ironic rockabilly revivalists. Until then, Youtubes like that are a godsend.

Whilst looking to see if there were any undates on the drummers we know are unwell I found a few more who may be about to drop off of the drum stool. I've listed them below for your perusal.

Bill Ward 61 Black Sabbath Various health problems over the years inc. heart attack.

Clive Burr 52 Ex Iron Maiden Multiple Sclerosis

Dale 'Buffin' Griffin 61 Ex Mott The Hoople Altzheimers disease.

Charlie Watts 68 Rolling Stones Throat cancer (in remission)

Richie Hayward 64 Little Feat Liver cancer.

Joey Jordison (#1) 34 Slipknot Hopitalised late last year. Unspecified health problems

Peter Criss 64 Ex Kiss Survived breast cancer.

Clyde Stubblefield 66 Ex James Brown Survived bladder cancer. Now has kidney failure.

Jet Black 71 The Stranglers Has missed gigs due to ill health and fatigue.

Topper Headon 54 Ex The Clash Former heroin addict.

Ginger Baker 70 Ex Cream Age and former cocaine addiction.

Levon Helm 69 The Band Overcame throat cancer. Had throat lesion removed in 2009.

Tommy Lee 47 Motley Crue Has been teetering on the edge of oblivion for years.

Lee Kerslake 63 Ex Uriah Heep Forced to leave Uriah Heep due to 'ongoing health problems'

Ed Cassidy 86 Spirit Worlds oldest rock drummer

Carlos Cadona (6025) n/k Ex Dead Kennedys Major psychiatric problems.

Keith Baker 61 Ex Uriah Heep Prostate cancer

For all of Stubblefield's health problems, man appears to be in pretty rude health. This documentary from last year has a big section on him, he turns up at 1:40 in

Whilst looking to see if there were any undates on the drummers we know are unwell I found a few more who may be about to drop off of the drum stool. I've listed them below for your perusal.

Topper Headon 54 Ex The Clash Former heroin addict.

I keep seeing him in Dover Farmfoods. He's in fine fettle.

Willie Eckerslike

The drummer from St Helens-based comedy folk band the "Lancashire Hotpots", whose real name was Tom McGrath, has been found dead at the age of 38. The college lecturer was apparently "on police bail after being arrested on suspicion of inciting children to commit sexual activities".

I was thinking how ace it would be if someone could do a drum roll just as the death rattle started and when they drew their final breath someone could hit a crash cymbal.