maryportfuncity

Sir Frank Williams

His wheezing of late has been more pronounced. Either he's making some underhand statement about the continued need for tobacco money in F1 or his remarkable resiliance in the face of neck-down paralysis is finally melting.

I remember a medically minded friend commenting when quadraplegic Curtis Mayfield made his last album that it'd better be good cos there wouldn't be another.

Would those with more medical knowledge than me care to comment on long term survival for those injured to this extent?

Put it this way, the stronger and younger Christopher Reeve lived 11 (?) years after his accident. Curtis Mayfield managed 9. Frank, so far, has managed 19. Before his accident Williams was a fitness fanatic, even running around GP circuits during race meetings. He still keeps a vigourous exercise program to circumvent the bodily deterioration that usually occurs as a result of quadroplegia. However, he's 63 now and it's presumably getting more and more difficult to keep going.

Maybe Jenson Button will pummel him to death if Frank doesn't let him have his way and stay at BAR at the end of the season. The same Button, recall, who a year ago was whining because BAR wouldn't let him out of his 2005 contract, saying that he wanted to be free to join the team run by....Frank Williams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/4727277.stm

Frank Williams stopped off at Lourdes, went into the healing waters and came out with new tyres on his wheelchair.

77 next April, lost his wife in 2013, handed over the rains of his F1 team to his daughter in 2012, been in a wheelchair since a car accident in 1986 and has had several brushes with pneumonia. Definitely knocking on the big door.

Already has a thread.

My magic no longer extends to linking it.

Given Gordon Brown still has two threads..why not? :ghost:

I searched and nothing came up ?

3 minutes ago, Fun-e-ral said:

I searched and nothing came up ?

Shame.

I've been looking for an excuse to promote it for ages. Sadly nothing came up. :lol:

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Shame.

I've been looking for an excuse to promote it for ages. Sadly nothing came up. :lol:

On second look you are right, he does indeed have a thread, please accept my sincerest apologies. Seeing as the original thread has been dormant for 13 years and Franks still sat on his arse burning rubber I’m not sure now if I needed to bother, just a gut feeling, you know ? 

4 minutes ago, Fun-e-ral said:

On second look you are right, he does indeed have a thread, please accept my sincerest apologies. Seeing as the original thread has been dormant for 13 years and Franks still sat on his arse burning rubber I’m not sure now if I needed to bother, just a gut feeling, you know ? 

Nothing to apologise for.

Help will always be given for those who ask for it at DeathList. :24087468:

And sometimes even when not....

(20)

On 09/05/2018 at 19:52, RoverAndOut said:

Surprised you haven't mentioned the first British F1 Champion, Mike Hawthorn. Won the championship in 1958 then retired because he didn't want to die racing cars. Died 3 months later on the A3.

And of course Sir Frank Williams, paralysed since a crash on his way back from Paul Ricard in 1986.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/55325530

In a stable condition in hospital.

Sir Frank Williams in a stable condition in hospital with unknown ailment. He'll be 79 next April.                                                                                    

Image posted by @williamsracing to instagram

I'm no scientist, and I'm sure someone on here will be able to put me right, but surely he's done very well for a man who's been a tetraplegic for 34 years? This pdf from a study of life expectancy (including NHS sources) suggests (if I'm reading it right) that he's already comfortably beaten the average for his injuries (he was 44 when he was injured and has a fracture between his 4th and 5th vertebrae - right on the border for the two life expectancies!) The family sold the team this season due to funding issues but does that mean he doesn't see the point anymore? 

Edit: Beaten to the punch by @The Old Crem! That's what you get for trying to qualify your post! :lol:

19 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Might be good idea for next year.

Might not make next year by sounds of it. 

On 16/12/2020 at 00:08, Charles De Gaulle said:

Might be good idea for next year.

I think he should be picked if he makes it to 2021. He is more then famous enough and he is old, frail and in poor health.

On 15/12/2020 at 18:38, Octopus of Odstock said:

He's more poorly than this statement let's on. That's all I can say currently. 

• Like 2

Can we move the discussion on Frank Williams on The Chequered Flag thread to here, please?

Seems apposite.

31 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Can we move the discussion on Frank Williams on The Chequered Flag thread to here, please?

Seems apposite.

I wasn't even aware he had his own thread. Apologies. :blink:

I trust in OoO's nose for these picks. Good one by the Cmme.

Has he gained weight in recent years? 

2015:

CCsvlbaUkAATR9X.jpg.dff4b53430199272cefdd1d08a0b9710.jpg

2020:

Claire-Williams-Frank-Williams-PA.thumb.jpg.f530c36fd73ef96d53ae4b5648084a9f.jpg

47 minutes ago, Alex said:

Has he gained weight in recent years? 

2015:

CCsvlbaUkAATR9X.jpg.dff4b53430199272cefdd1d08a0b9710.jpg

2020:

Claire-Williams-Frank-Williams-PA.thumb.jpg.f530c36fd73ef96d53ae4b5648084a9f.jpg

That'll be with all the sitting...

• Haha 2