maryportfuncity

Sir Frank Williams

Dude, he'd presumably been sitting for 30 years prior to 2015. Why now all of a sudden? 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Dude, he'd presumably been sitting for 30 years prior to 2015. Why now all of a sudden? 

Maybe he's gone electric...

Whoops, where is my post from this morning about his 79nd Birthday??? :scratchhead:

3 hours ago, Book said:

Whoops, where is my post from this morning about his 79nd Birthday??? :scratchhead:

There's a happy birthday thread.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

There's a happy birthday thread.

I see no problem if people want to post them in their own thread for the 50 on the list.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I see no problem if people want to post them in their own thread for the 50 on the list.

I do. Seeing the thread bumped makes people think *something* has happened.  That was the reason the Happy Birthday thread was created - to avoid these false alarms.

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

I do. Seeing the thread bumped makes people think *something* has happened.

Yeah, it risks the thread being saturated with meaningless, insipid dreck. 

Like the Philip thread :duck:

Heard he went to Lourdes for his birthday. The family pushed him into the healing waters all hoping for a miracle. It happened; when they fished him out his chair had sprouted new tyres!!

I'm around most days! :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

On 15/12/2020 at 18:38, Octopus of Odstock said:

He's more poorly than this statement let's on. That's all I can say currently. 

Any update on Sir Frank's health OoO? Just starting to check the form guide to some of the current DL picks. I can't see any public appearances since last year's health scare, but he released a statement in response to Max Mosley's death earlier this year, while the Williams team put together a video wishing him a happy 79th birthday in April, but otherwise things seem quiet, particularly now Claire no longer runs the F1 Team.

I'm only aware of one public appearance since last year where he looked about the same but a bit paler. He's certainly not likely to be seen an awful lot in public I don't think.

• Like 1

Finally... not for him but for the List in general. I have a feeling that there'll be a bunch of hits now. They seem to come in clusters, and we've been waiting for this one for quite a while.

• Like 2

Great pick. Also glad here's a new free spot for 2022, as Frank would have surely come back given how poorly he was according to OoO.

On 16/04/2021 at 22:46, maryportfuncity said:

Heard he went to Lourdes for his birthday. The family pushed him into the healing waters all hoping for a miracle. It happened; when they fished him out his chair had sprouted new tyres!!

I'm around most days! :rolleyes:

How the fuck did i miss this!!! :lol:

Nice to have a 10th hit - no matter who it is! ;)

Sir Frank Williams: Formula 1 team founder dies aged 79

Sir Frank Williams, founder and former team principal of the Williams Racing Formula 1 team, has died aged 79.

He built the team named after him into one of the most successful in the sport.

During his time with Williams, the team won nine constructors' championships and seven drivers' titles, and dominated much of the 1980s and 1990s.

He and daughter Claire moved away from the sport in September 2020 after selling Williams to US investors.

In a statement, the Williams team said: "It is with great sadness that on behalf of the Williams family, the team can confirm the death of Sir Frank Williams CBE, founder and former team principal of Williams Racing, at the age of 79.

"After being admitted into hospital on Friday, Sir Frank passed away peacefully this morning surrounded by his family.

"Today we pay tribute to our much loved and inspirational figurehead. Frank will be sorely missed. We request that all friends and colleagues respect the Williams family's wishes for privacy at this time."

Williams was a wheelchair user after suffering a spinal cord injury in a car crash in France in 1986.

F1 president and chief executive Stefano Domenicali paid tribute to Williams, whom he described as "a true giant of our sport".

Domenicali added: "He overcame the most difficult of challenges in life and battled every day to win on and off the track. We have lost a much loved and respected member of the F1 family and he will be hugely missed.

"His incredible achievements and personality will be etched on our sport forever. My thoughts are with all the Williams family and friends at this sad time."

Current Williams drivers George Russell and Nicholas Latifi also paid their respects.

"Sir Frank was such a genuinely wonderful human being and I'll always remember the laughs we shared," said Russell.

"He was more than a boss, he was a mentor and a friend to everybody who joined the Williams Racing family and so many others."

Canadian Latifi added: "RIP Sir Frank Williams. Such sad news. A huge loss for our sport and our team.

"It's been an honour to represent your name on the world stage and we will continue to push hard to take the team back up the grid."

You really can take a @Octopus of Odstock tip to the bank.

• Like 4

Rest in peace.

This is the 16th male DL hit in a row. The only woman to die after the deaths of two Dames Olivia and Vera is Ruth Ginsburg... :scratchhead:

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

How the fuck did i miss this!!! :lol:

Especially as he told it twice :lol:

• Like 1

I'm convinced I had him in a pool somewhere, at some point. Seems not this year though.