honez

Sir Joh Bjelke-petersen

This list is far too northern-hemisphere centric.

We've got plenty of old-timers just busting to pop their clogs south of the equator. Take Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen for example.

If he manages to last the year out, then he'd be a dead cert [sic] for next year's list.

Any chance we could see a few more antipodean antiques grace the list next year?

• Like 1

Very very good point, but I don't like his chances of surviving this year out somehow. The poor old fart is knocking on deaths door very closely, according to Mrs Pumpkin Scones & thats why they are so eager to get the billion dollar payout from us taxpayers.

I am sure that I speak for many Northern Hemispherers when I say that we do not purposely ignore our cousins in the South, it's just that a lot of your DeathList candidates just don't come to our attention. Showing my ignorance, I had to look up Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen on the net, but I now feel much more informed about the Fitzgerald inquiry.

DWB :unsure:

Well I have to also admit to being ignorant of Sir Joh - but with Wikipedia saying his family are using phrases that include the word "deathbed" to describe his current state of health he appears to be another potential oversight

We're obviously open to more southern-hemisperical suggestions of this quality Honez

One of Joh's claims to fame (although this is probably an urban legend)...

On being elected to parliament as a Country Party representative he was asked by one of the other politicians who he was.

"I'm the country member," Sir Joh answered.

Quick as a flash, the wag replied, "Yeah, I remember."

This from the ever popular Townsville Mercury:

"AILING former Queensland premier Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen has been doing well over the past few days, his wife said yesterday.

Queensland's longest-serving premier suffers from advanced Parkinson's disease, is blind, unable to speak and suffers from post-polio syndrome.

The 93-year-old is being fed by a drip and has full-time nursing care.

His health took a turn for the worse last week after news he was having trouble swallowing.

But yesterday, Lady Flo Bjelke-Petersen said her husband had been eating well.

"He's going all right," she said. "He's had good meals today."

Sir Joh had spent a busy day, receiving visitors who came to see him at the Bjelke-Petersen family property Bethany, near Kingaroy, in south-east Queensland."

Maybe he's hanging around because he might get inclusion on next year's list?

Who? The premier of Queensland? That's not even a country, right? He'd fail the fame test (to the extent this list has one) every time.

There's always room for Aussies (and every other nationality) on the list, but at least some of the committee must have heard of 'em.

And isn't "Townsville" a bit of a stupid name? It's like redundant, and stuff.

On being elected to parliament as a Country Party representative he was asked by one of the other politicians who he was.

"I'm the country member," Sir Joh answered.

Quick as a flash, the wag replied, "Yeah, I remember."

This reminds me of another old joke ...

What do you call a WPC (a Policewoman) who shaves ?

A Woman Police **** Stubble. :unsure:

PS I have heard of Mr JBP ... but then I did use to live in Oz once upon a time.

I had a pet Tasmanian Tiger then.

:unsure:

Who?  The premier of Queensland?  That's not even a country, right?  He'd fail the fame test (to the extent this list has one) every time.

There's always room for Aussies (and every other nationality) on the list, but at least some of the committee must have heard of 'em.

And isn't "Townsville" a bit of a stupid name?  It's like redundant, and stuff.

Hi COwboy, Sir Joh would definately NOT fail the fame test. He is one of Australia's longest serving Premiers of State & is notorious in his own right ( see Fitzgerald Enquiry & other info ). I definately think he qualifies for next years list.......if he lives long enough. ;)

I'm wondering how anyone from the Southern Hemisphere can qualify if all the committee are from the North?? :unsure:

I agree Birdie, Southern Hemisphere representation is bit weak on the committee but we did try to give due consideration to forum suggestions this year.

The glory of Don Bradman in 2001 does seem like a while ago - be sure keep us updated on any important news from the intensive care wards across Oz ;)

and we do discuss Edmund Hilary every year

At the end of day, when all's said and done, we've set out stall out and basically we're a UK based website. Take it or leave it.

Will Sir Joh get a page to himself on Ceefax - can't see it.

Here's another famous (well sort of) southern hemispherian that's gone north. You northerners need to get your act into gear.

Australian film pioneer Tim Burstall died early yesterday after suffering a massive stroke at a Melbourne film showing in honour of his work.

Pretty good timing on his part I thought.

Well that 's one way of showing you don't like seeing yourself on screen.

But I've still never heard of him.

Woody Allan is famous for never having watched any films with himself in - any bets on what would happen if he did ?

sounds like he "Burstall" his blood vessels before keeling over.

Anyway, the point is moot as I'd be willing to wager no one on the DL committee had ever heard of him. Still looking for some famous Aussies. How about that cricket commentator guy, he's got to be a zillion or so.

Sir Joh was admitted to hospital today, unconscious and with breathing difficulties.

He has since regained conciousness and is being treated for pneumonia.

;) tick... :D tick... ;) tock

Sir Joh was admitted to hospital today, unconscious and with breathing difficulties.

;) tick... :D tick... ;) tock

Your enthusiasm, I take it, being in no way related to the fact that he's your joker pick in the DDP?

:D tick... ;) tick... ;) tock

Your enthusiasm, I take it, being in no way related to the fact that he's your joker pick in the DDP?

and the fact that I'm yet to get out of the blocks. A Sir Joh Joker would do nicely, and be a fitting tribute to a lifetime giving his all to serve others. A true public servant. Good on you. Now, on yer way... ;)

You jammy sod, I still haven't had any hits

Hold your horses HCW, he's not dead yet. It's not over until Mary Travers sings.

Hold your horses HCW, he's not dead yet. It's not over until Mary Travers sings.

:D:D