Guest IYG

Holiday Thread

Going to Zakynthos in a couple of weeks.

Hang on, I'm booked with Thomas Cook.

I'm going nowhere in a couple of weeks then <_<

• Sad 1

Boudicca & SirC 

floating around between islands...

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Boudicca & SirC 

floating around between islands...

image.jpg

Sweet!

• Like 1

Well I lost both Zante holiday and Lanzarote next March.

But I have my job, and I'll get my money back. Just stuck with 15 days annual leave to take over the winter. So I'll be decorating my flat next month now instead. 

The process of getting my money back doesn't look easy I have to say. But I'll get away next year now instead.

• Like 1

Just got back from a few days in Rome. I'm dreading getting on the scales as the hotel breakfasts were delicious.

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

Just got back from a few days in Rome. I'm dreading getting on the scales as the hotel breakfasts were delicious.

Did you throw a coin or three into the fountain then Handy?

21 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Did you throw a coin or three into the fountain then Handy?

I did, but I'm not sure I'd relish a return visit to Rome. It's nice, but a bit crowded and expensive, though  I have to say the people were actually very nice .

• Like 1

I will be spending next week in Lapland and sleeping in an igloo on a bed made of ice!! So plenty of duty free scotch it is then!

Well-deserved year-end holidays. About to leave Berlin for Seville.

• Like 3

Back from Greece. Luckily that country has been relatively undramatic about the whole virus. I have to say, the rate of face masks there is much higher than in Berlin (about 20% vs. about... uuhh... 1%).

• Like 1

On 25/09/2019 at 05:57, philheybrookbay said:

Well I lost both Zante holiday and Lanzarote next March.

But I have my job, and I'll get my money back. Just stuck with 15 days annual leave to take over the winter. So I'll be decorating my flat next month now instead. 

The process of getting my money back doesn't look easy I have to say. But I'll get away next year now instead.

Well this aged...badly.

Currently Zakynthos is with the rest of Greece on a fortnight lock down. They've had 1 death from Corona following a pilgrimage from Israel. 

8 weeks to go, but let's be fair,  I think we can forget it.

11 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Back from Greece. Luckily that country has been relatively undramatic about the whole virus. I have to say, the rate of face masks there is much higher than in Berlin (about 20% vs. about... uuhh... 1%).

Good to have you back healthy!

Just in time to snatch the DDP No.1! :party:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philheybrookbay said:

Well this aged...badly.

Currently Zakynthos is with the rest of Greece on a fortnight lock down. They've had 1 death from Corona following a pilgrimage from Israel. 

8 weeks to go, but let's be fair,  I think we can forget it.

I had to check, they closed the museums and everything on the day I left. If I had been going to Italy though, I would be stuck there. Possibly in France and Spain as well.

Maybe Morocco or Egypt is still okay.

Son was due to spend a week in Poland from yesterday, until Poland abruptly closed its borders and said anyone arriving would be put in quarantine. Had he flown out 24 hours earlier could have been stuck there for weeks, so at least the timing of the move was OK.

Have week in Kefalonia booked for end of June. Odds on things having settled down by then lengthening by the day.

Most travel policies will cover you getting ill while abroad. but their cancellation clauses don't cover pandemics. Was going to say 'read the small print before you go', but don't suppose anyone is going anywhere next couple of months anyway.

I guess we can shut this thread down for a few months. :mellow:

On 06/01/2018 at 13:27, charon said:

My, had been looking for updates on Jack Newton afore the Bells.

Similar age (68 in January) and walked into a propeller in 1983 losing an arm.

Had been a good enough golfer to be runner up in both the Open and the Masters.

Well, totally wrong section of the forum, but....

... Jack Newton has Alzheimer's and suffers from short-term memory loss and can't complete his sentences:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8852057/Golf-legend-Jack-Newton-reveals-secret-health-battle-walking-planes-propeller.html

I'm currently in Naples for a week. We've had hailstorms today, which is not helping with my very ...mixed... view of the city. The people here are mostly crazy, but I'm adjusting to it...

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I'm currently in Naples for a week. We've had hailstorms today, which is not helping with my very ...mixed... view of the city. The people here are mostly crazy, but I'm adjusting to it...

Well, it is Napoli. ;)

Only visited briefly as it was on a transport route to Rome years ago. 

They've got a home game with Leicester tonight btw. I remember the advice given to me decades ago about going to the stadium in Naples. "Stay in the home crowd and do not speak!" Napoli fans had a bit of a reputation!

• Haha 1

Spent a night in a hostel near Corrour station, off of Trainspotting and being high up.

On Saturday at 7pm my manager was yelling at me in the toilet for having a shite, after I'd been fixing faulty self-checkouts like a headless chicken for 5 hours.

On Sunday at 7pm, I was drinking Malbec around a log burner with a group of strangers. 5 Englishmen, a South African, a Belgian, an agèd hippie and a fellow Glaswegian who is an expert on Gaelic place names (not hyperbole; fascinating conversation we had).

358963739_Screenshot_20220308-0026072.thumb.png.12e1758e109af8981e3a56341d2d591b.png

No roads, no light pollution and complete silence at all times. Also probably safe from nukes. YMMV with train fares but it was £22.49 for the night! If you get the chance then go.

• Like 7

On 20/10/2020 at 21:39, gcreptile said:

Well, totally wrong section of the forum, but....

... Jack Newton has Alzheimer's and suffers from short-term memory loss and can't complete his sentences:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8852057/Golf-legend-Jack-Newton-reveals-secret-health-battle-walking-planes-propeller.html

Again, totally the wrong forum section but the Australian golfer Jack Newton is now dead at 72:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/jack-newton-oam-dies-aged-72/news-story/63b5bd2f440da800c9ba8356d66fbe1a

DDP pick.

After a delay of slightly more than a year, finally been on holiday.

Just had the best part of a fortnight (that's two weeks for our overseas viewers) in Turkey.

Sunburn, cuts and bruises but no broken bones thankfully.

May be an image of drink and outdoors

• Like 2

Just back from a week in Skye. While you lot south of of central Scotland were melting under the heat of the sun, I was under the clouds and rain.  Unfuckinbelievably I put the heating on for one of the evenings.  Hardly saw the sun all week. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Just back from a week in Skye. While you lot south of of central Scotland were melting under the heat of the sun, I was under the clouds and rain.  Unfuckinbelievably I put the heating on for one of the evenings.  Hardly saw the sun all week. 

.... jammy bastard!

:lol:

It’s my birthday on Monday, and because it’s an occasion I’ve wanted to ignore but all my friends and my family insist I can’t, I’m pissing off on my own, completely unannounced, at silly o’clock tomorrow morning to do a Scottish road trip. Not the NC500, apparently that’s now full of camper vans and the McCarabinieri. But I shall be making time to do the Grand Tour version, the PENIS287.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

It’s my birthday on Monday, and because it’s an occasion I’ve wanted to ignore but all my friends and my family insist I can’t, I’m pissing off on my own, completely unannounced, at silly o’clock tomorrow morning to do a Scottish road trip. Not the NC500, apparently that’s now full of camper vans and the McCarabinieri. But I shall be making time to do the Grand Tour version, the PENIS287.

Take a brolly.  :lol:

• Haha 1