Guest IYG

Holiday Thread

I've just spent a lovely few days with my in-laws in Looe. Splendid weather. Richard Madeley walked past me while I was stood outside Somerfields (or Co-op or whatever it's called), he was on his own, looked rather hassled with windswept hair, a rucksack, a casual white shirt and denim jeans. Judy was nowhere to be seen (however my thick daughter did say 'Is Judy Finnegan Michael Finnegan's sister?) - then the next day I saw Dick Strawbridge in Asda in St Austell. I'm afraid I have no photographic evidence of my A list celebrity encounters, you'll just have to trust me. Dick looks younger in real life, and his wife is quite short. (I assume it was his wife. It possibly could have been sister/daughter/mistress/hairdresser.)

Somerfields you say? Are you sure Judy wasn't checking out the multibuy deals on the White Lightning?

It's been tough for her since Oddbins went tits up...

Gosh. What a lot has happened in the short time since that post. It was my mother-in-law's funeral today so again I have been in Looe for the last couple of days. Sad to say I probably won't be spending much more time there as my father-in-law is going to move back home nearer to us. Anyhow, we are off to Silverstone for the MotoGP tomorrow for a few days - the joys of setting up a tent in the pissing rain!

Safer, probably, that trying to squeeze 180 mph out of a bike in the pissing rain. Enjoy!!

I'm thinking about Turkey for this years holiday. Anybody been? And what's it like?

I'm thinking about Turkey for this years holiday. Anybody been? And what's it like?

I went a couple of years ago but it was purely for an 'I can't be arsed to do anything' holiday so I can't tell you anything about sight-seeing etc, so obviously no help at all - we went all inclusive at a hotel, first two weeks of August, it was fucking boiling, I sat by the pool for two weeks eating food, drinking beer and sleeping. Loved it.

I went a couple of years ago but it was purely for an 'I can't be arsed to do anything' holiday so I can't tell you anything about sight-seeing etc, so obviously no help at all - we went all inclusive at a hotel, first two weeks of August, it was fucking boiling, I sat by the pool for two weeks eating food, drinking beer and sleeping. Loved it.

That sounds ideal LB. My other half likes exploring the places we visit. I'm happy lying on a sun bed all day and getting pissed at night.

That sounds ideal LB. My other half likes exploring the places we visit. I'm happy lying on a sun bed all day and getting pissed at night.

Do you have kids going too? We stayed at the Grand Kaptan hotel in Alanya - a couple of hours from Antalya airport, a fairly basic place but that was good enough for us, and the food was actually fantastic. It was a couple of years ago but we paid £1800 for three of us for two weeks, flights and all, I thought that was very reasonable. The hotel ran day trips for those that want to sight-see, trips to local markets, boat trips etc. I'd recommend it.

There's lots of Syrians giving it the thumb up apparently!

All booked up now! Turkey it is. Hoping to meet up with an old friend who I recently found out works as a schoolteacher. She's pretty close to the Syrian border, so might arrange to meet her in Alanya. Only 2 weeks to go. Heehaarrrrrr

Sat in the bay window of a river front apartment overlooking Weymouth harbour watching the fishing boats and pleasure craft fight for best line in and out. Very "picturesque". So much so that this week I'm only doing lurking from mrs rotten's iPad. Tat tar for now.

Off to Looe today for the week to stay with my father-in-law, who decided to stay and not move back home near to us after all, which is a bonus for us as it means our free holidays continue! It is brilliantly hot today, and is then going to rain from tomorrow until Friday, and we come home next Saturday. Fuck my life, as the youth of today might say.

Will keep my eyes open for any Madeley/Finnegan news - these muggy days can make you right thirsty, eh Judy?

Saving up for a couple of months trip around china , want to go to chengdu , beijing and guilin . The only problem is the tourist visa is 3 months so im only going to spend 3 weeks in each place , had wanted to see more places like tibet but its pretty much impossible and so much hard work as a westerner to visit tibet I couldn't be bothered .

Looks like me & Mrs Bearer will be heading down to your neck of the woods this year DDT. She's got her eyes on a place in Westward Ho!

All booked for Alaska this year after 2 years missing out on a holiday due to health reasons.

Should be quite an adventure with some whitewater rafting, kayaking and glacier climbing.

All booked for Alaska this year after 2 years missing out on a holiday due to health reasons.

Should be quite an adventure with some whitewater rafting, kayaking and glacier climbing.

Can you see Russia from your hotel room ?

I'm off to Silverstone today for a long weekend watching World Superbikes - looks like a bit of rain on Sunday so that will make for interesting racing, although here's hoping it's not like the last round at Russia, in which the unfortunate Andrea Antonelli was killed in appalling weather conditions. I will be stopping at Adey's Cafe on the Swindon to Oxford road for an all day breakfast, hopefully about 1 ish, check in to the hotel by 3, in the pub by 10 past.

I wont be going that far north or west, I'll be mostly staying around the interior with just one night down at the coast.

I wont be going that far north or west, I'll be mostly staying around the interior with just one night down at the coast.

I would love to do that someday (go to a snowy place) for skiing and snowboarding.

I would love to do that someday (go to a snowy place) for skiing and snowboarding.

Sod the snow, I get enough of that here, I am going to see if bears really do shit in the woods.

• Like 1

Sod the snow, I get enough of that here, I am going to see if bears really do shit in the woods.

Please post your results.

Next assignment: Rome.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Looks like me & Mrs Bearer will be heading down to your neck of the woods this year DDT. She's got her eyes on a place in Westward Ho!

And here we are in sunny Devon.

Please post your results.

Next assignment: Rome.

regards,

Hein

After much research I found that bears mostly shit on the riverbank.

BearPoo_zpsedfdf947.jpg

• Like 1

Currently in the Margaret River area of south west Western Australia suffering from Occupational Overuse Syndrome of the wallet. Last domestic holiday I'm not sad to say, it'll be Bali next year to see what all the fuss is about.

Currently in the Margaret River area of south west Western Australia suffering from Occupational Overuse Syndrome of the wallet. Last domestic holiday I'm not sad to say, it'll be Bali next year to see what all the fuss is about.

Ooo I used to live a short way up the coast from there in Rockingham. When we left we did a travelling holiday down to Albany and then back up the coast through Bunbury and Busselton. I'm rather jealous of you right now.

Not exactly a holiday, but I took a trip to the province of Drente today. Saw the hunebed (dolmen) of Balloo:

D16-016.jpg

and the Fochteloërveen, one of the few living bogs in the Netherlands. Saw a baby viper and hundreds of geese, practicing migration.

Fochteloerveen32.jpg

I´m knackered and had a lovely day.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

I am going to Maidstone today for the final weekend of the British Superbikes championship at Brand's Hatch. Or Gran's Snatch as my brother calls it. It is going to rain all weekend.