Tempus Fugit

Ariel Sharon

the 24 hour countdown has begun...

It's been and gone and he's still with us

Any health updates on Mr. Coma? Otherwise he might be not be worth listing.

Any health updates on Mr. Coma? Otherwise he might be not be worth listing.

No change in his condition.

Guest Guest6854

Somehow I think he will probably live to at least his 80th birthday... :unsure:

Guest Have I Got Jews For You?
Somehow I think he will probably live to at least his 80th birthday... :unsure:

80th? He'll live to 100 at least. No way the Israelis will let him "die"; a considerable slice of the modern hard-right zionist dream would fall away, were this filthy war criminal allowed to "die". They'll probably build a gigantic shrine for him, the centrepiece of which will be his perenially artificially-respirated corpse glorious, healthy body; an example to us all of the might and longevity of jewish zionism and righteous oppression of the arab world.

HIGJFY

So, you're saying, this is Stalin's tomb, with a pulse?

Might have to reconsider him on my list(s) for 08. He was first reserve on the DDP, bumped up to the first team after an explosion in Pakistan yesterday.

For what it's worth, I think that he should be left on for next year. It's risky, but it would also be a terrible shame to miss him. He could be dead tomorrow or in five years, which isn't very helpful, but seeing as how there's 50 spots, I think it's worth it in the long run. Unless several people die in the next few days, he's off my DDP, but he'll be raring to go for HDP 08, so he'll not be a miss for me if he does go. And if he does, I see no reason why he should be a miss for the DL. As it stands, the DL only needs to remove 15 names from this years list, and I can think of 15 better ones to drop than Sharon.

I can tell you right now that I will be completely guilt - free no matter the outcome of Ariel Sharon's whole situation next year. Listing him in my view is just a form of failed expectation from the previous year and it's a ticket to never ending anticipation. He is a classic example of how the word guaranteed is highly overrated. Now what I'm saying does not mean he should not have an area at the downstairs part of next years list.

People, and I'm primairly thinking of the not exactly Jew friendly guest, seem to forget a life support machine doesn't make you immortal. In fact its usually a pretty good sign your in poor health. But even if he wasn't in a coma, he'd be a great candidate, he's over 80, overweight and alot of people fervently wish him to die.

People, and I'm primairly thinking of the not exactly Jew friendly guest, seem to forget a life support machine doesn't make you immortal. In fact its usually a pretty good sign your in poor health. But even if he wasn't in a coma, he'd be a great candidate, he's over 80, overweight and alot of people fervently wish him to die.

I suspect he's lost a few pounds by now. Being on life support usually means a liquid diet fed intravenously. You can't down many cream cakes that way.

If anything he's probably in better shape than he was when he had is stroke (relatively speaking).

If anything he's probably in better shape than he was when he had is stroke (relatively speaking).

Highly doubtful IMHO, the months he's spent prone and mentally inactive are bound to have impacted on his lungs (where congestion and gradual depletion of the performance of said lungs will be a problem), his heart similarly is pumping blood round a body that gets no exercise meaning potential clots and congestive failure can only be held at bay by drug treatments. Assuming he's lost weight his heart will have a slightly easier time but it's still a small gain in a situation of major loss. Other vital organs can survive more easily than heart and lungs in this state but the tonnage of medication he'll need to stabilise him could gradually build up to the point that his liver and/or kidneys are also suffering.

Yeah, keep him in the top 50.

Highly doubtful IMHO, the months he's spent prone and mentally inactive are bound to have impacted on his lungs (where congestion and gradual depletion of the performance of said lungs will be a problem), his heart similarly is pumping blood round a body that gets no exercise meaning potential clots and congestive failure can only be held at bay by drug treatments. Assuming he's lost weight his heart will have a slightly easier time but it's still a small gain in a situation of major loss. Other vital organs can survive more easily than heart and lungs in this state but the tonnage of medication he'll need to stabilise him could gradually build up to the point that his liver and/or kidneys are also suffering.

Yeah, keep him in the top 50.

Yes well ok, all good points but I suspect that he has the best medical team in the country making sure he's kept in the best condition possible.

Either way he's not going to be allowed to die until its considered politically safe to do so in which case we could still be arguing the point in 10, 20, 30 years.

Years are indeed possible, but years in double figures are highly unlikely if the degree of his stroke was accurately reported at the time. His life is being 'supported' but there are limits to what the best doctors can achieve. Since there is so little to go on it's hard to say exactly what will tip him over the edge but - for example - a vital organ like his liver being gradually compromised by the medication keeping his blood flowing would be the end. Politically and medically he'd be a non-starter if he needed a transplant to stay alive.

Years are indeed possible, but years in double figures are highly unlikely if the degree of his stroke was accurately reported at the time. His life is being 'supported' but there are limits to what the best doctors can achieve. Since there is so little to go on it's hard to say exactly what will tip him over the edge but - for example - a vital organ like his liver being gradually compromised by the medication keeping his blood flowing would be the end. Politically and medically he'd be a non-starter if he needed a transplant to stay alive.

Oh I agree there has to be a limit to any medical intervention but I still think all the stops will be pulled out to keep him going for as long as possible.

It always amazes me that an individual can be so vital to a countrys stability that he has to be kept alive at all costs. If it were you or me our relatives would be nagged to turn the machines off within a week because they 'need the bed'.

This reminds me of an excellent JG Ballard short story about the death of Reagan and the outbreak of World War 3.

Everyone was so engrossed in the live news from Ronnie's hospital, that they completely missed the fact that a nuclear incident occurred with Russia and total annihilation was only narrowly avoided. It's in War Fever from the early 90's.

It always amazes me that an individual can be so vital to a countrys stability that he has to be kept alive at all costs. If it were you or me our relatives would be nagged to turn the machines off within a week because they 'need the bed'.

Guest shogei

Oh I agree there has to be a limit to any medical intervention but I still think all the stops will be pulled out to keep him going for as long as possible.

Christopher Reeve had the best care possible and he still took the deep dive to never never. There is only so much modern science can do.

Christopher Reeve had the best care possible and he still took the deep dive to never never.

You know it's funny I don't remember hearing Reeves drowned. You would think the (individual - individuals) would at least give him a life preserver or a water float. I guess when you are paralyzed life is a one way river.

Christopher Reeve had the best care possible and he still took the deep dive to never never. There is only so much modern science can do.

Fair point and I don't for one minute think Sharon will last as long as Reeve did. Reeve was fitter to start with and remained mentally active right to the end, we know Sharon is probably brain dead and he had been a candidate for a heart attack or stroke for a good few years prior to the stroke. Also there is a difference between being injured by external forces (Reeve) and having the body injure itself (Sharon).

However this is all academic as there is nothing to say that Sharon isn't already in a freezer somewhere waiting for the appropriate time to 'die'. After all we only have someone's word that he's still with us and family can be paid off or intimidated.

ariel-sharon.gif

I just can't get enough of this one!

The 'napping' Ariel Sharon is drifting 'in and out' of semi consciousness and from this article it states he breaths on his own and has showed slight signs of response.

On the chances of doctors pulling the plug 'Although connected to the machines around him, Mr Sharon is not relying on them to stay alive and so, his friends say, there is no question of taking a decision to end his life.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/sons-h...9988589412.html

The subtitle of this thread is misleading.

Sharon isn't an ex-Israeli prime minister. He's an Israeli ex-prime-minister.

The difference is not inconsiderable.

Guest Durham Red

Well, Ariel let me down so badly a couple of years ago when we went critical in December(ish) and is STILL hanging on. I fear Mr Sharon will become another in a long list, like the Queen Mother and Boris Yeltsin, who promise so much year on year and deliver so little (until you lose faith and back another horse).

Happy 80th Birthday

Sharon still lies comatose at the Sheba Medical Center in Tel Aviv. His sons Gilad and Omri, as well as attending doctors, decline to comment on the state of his health. But it recently transpired that Ariel Sharon dispenses with a respirator and even can open his eyes.

Doubt he can blow out the candles on his birthday cake

Happy 80th Birthday

Sharon still lies comatose at the Sheba Medical Center in Tel Aviv. His sons Gilad and Omri, as well as attending doctors, decline to comment on the state of his health. But it recently transpired that Ariel Sharon dispenses with a respirator and even can open his eyes.

Doubt he can blow out the candles on his birthday cake

Once they'r off the respirator it means only one thing.............he'lll live.

My frustration at seeing a 'banker' pick laughing in the face of mortality is lessened by the site of Bruno back in action.