Tempus Fugit

Renowned Mountaineers, Feeling Peaky?

John Bachar

Apparently considered to be "the greatest American rock climber of his generation", he has died in an accident in California.

• Like 1

Legendary Italian climber Riccardo Cassin has expired at the age of 100. He got to the top of over 100 mountains before anyone else did.

Tomaž Humar

"Slovenian climber recognised as one of the world's greatest-ever mountaineers has died after a daredevil solo attempt on a Himalayan peak ... Humar was hailed by Italian legend Reinhold Messner, the first to climb the world's 14 8,000-metre peaks, as the greatest climber of the modern era"

Another brutal weekend on the 'world's deadliest mountain', K2.

1 in 4 who have summitted haven't made it back down, but the first two that did, Achille Compagnoni and Lino Lacedelli, both appear to be alive in their 90s and 80s respectively.

This article from 2004 confirms Compagnoni was certainly still alive then:

"As part of the 50th anniversary celebrations, Mr Compagnoni returned to Pakistan."

And this one confirms the same for Lacedelli

I'm sure if they'd popped their crampons since then, we would have have been made aware.

Crampons popped for Lacedelli too, both gone within six months of each other.

Alfred Gregory, the official photographer of the 1953 Everest expedition will be making one final descent or ascent (depending on how he lived his life i suppose).

So, is anyone significant from that expedition still alive?

Alfred Gregory, the official photographer of the 1953 Everest expedition will be making one final descent or ascent (depending on how he lived his life i suppose).

So, is anyone significant from that expedition still alive?

Just had a quick look about and the only ones i can see still with us are George Lowe and Mike Westmacott.

There are probably others though.

Peter Kinloch likely to be feeling peaky long after his fellow expedition members have come home.

Timely reminder that sometimes the altitude and effort can combine to kill the fittest.

Mmm, you don't exactly conquer Kilimanjaro. You just walk up it. It's a stiff walk to be sure but I doubt if anyone who had been up it would then describe themselves as a mountaineer. Still it made the journo's ironic line and got him a little spread.

Mmm, you don't exactly conquer Kilimanjaro. You just walk up it. It's a stiff walk to be sure but I doubt if anyone who had been up it would then describe themselves as a mountaineer. Still it made the journo's ironic line and got him a little spread.

Yes, I did think about making that point when I posted. However, as I've never done it myself, I didn't want to appear disparaging. It doesn't mention which other peaks he's scaled. If they're only talking about Snowdon and Helvellyn, I could match him there, but I suspect not!

Chris Dale, given an exceedingly fine write up by the Daily Telegraph

Chris Dale, who has died aged 49, was a 6ft 6in mountaineer with a passion for solo climbs among the hardest peaks of Scotland, Wales and

the Alps. He was also an equally enthusiastic cross-dresser who went by the name of Crystal. :wheelchair:

Nawang Gombu

"Gombu was the youngest member of Sir Edmund Hillary's climbing team that first scaled Mount Everest in 1953, though he himself did not make it to the top until 10 years later".

Erhard Loretan, Swiss mountaineer, famed for climbing Everest in 40 hours without oxygen, and for climbing the worlds 14 8000m-plus peaks, has died in a fall in the Alps (on his birthday).

Erhard Loretan, Swiss mountaineer, famed for climbing Everest in 40 hours without oxygen, and for climbing the worlds 14 8000m-plus peaks, has died in a fall in the Alps (on his birthday).

He must have been a clever man, if indeed he made a "40-hour ascent of Mount Everest at night", as the linked-to article claims. I'd love to learn that trick. Even an extra hour or two every night would make life much better.

regards,

Hein

Shailendra Kumar Upadhyaya, 82, the former Nepalese Foreign Minister, has died during his attempt to become the oldest person to climb Everest. He was trying to raise awareness about the capabilities of elderly people, but, by failing in his mission, may have unwittingly highlighted one or two flaws in his argument.

Shailendra Kumar Upadhyaya, 82, the former Nepalese Foreign Minister, has died during his attempt to become the oldest person to climb Everest. He was trying to raise awareness about the capabilities of elderly people, but, by failing in his mission, may have unwittingly highlighted one or two flaws in his argument.

Good picks for my list?

Mountaineer Walter Bonatti feeling more than just a bit 'peaky' today.. (get it?)

Edited by Magere Hein
Post moved from topic " The Dead Of 2011"

Guest Guest

Lincoln Hall dead.

OMG that is a shocker :o