Tempus Fugit

Renowned Mountaineers, Feeling Peaky?

His contemporary - Hamish McInnes has had an interesting later life, including being sectioned and trying to climb out of the psychiatric hospital. 

Also highly obitable and 89 years old

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamish_MacInnes#Personal_life

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 22:50, YoungWillz said:

Chris Bonington is on Meet The Author on BBC News.

Looking extremely well. One to bear in mind though, now he's in his 80s...

Now Chris Bonington is climbing his fucking stairs for charity. Nepalese charity.

No harm to him, but what's his angle? A sainthood from the Pope? Order of the Garter from the Queen? Or will he settle for a mention in Parliament from Blibberwimble?

57 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Now Chris Bonington is climbing his fucking stairs for charity. Nepalese charity.

No harm to him, but what's his angle? A sainthood from the Pope? Order of the Garter from the Queen? Or will he settle for a mention in Parliament from Blibberwimble?

If he sleeps in his freezer he could get frostbite for the full " home Everest" experience!

• Haha 1

On 14/07/2020 at 18:52, YoungWillz said:

Read in Sunday Times today that Doug Scott is also climbing his stairs - lives a few miles from Bonnington on the edge of the Lake District

The "angle" with Scott being he's now so ill with brain cancer that his ability to master the 12 stairs is in some doubt. Just thought I'd - like -mention that

1975-Doug-on-Everest-NW-1200.jpg

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh FFS. Another shortlister bites the dust!

• Haha 1

With the greatest of a pinch of salt, make of this report of the death of Doug Scott what you will:

And if it is true, tough on all those picking him for next year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Was sure to pick him next year, if only because a QO lock mountaineer hit would've been a nice way to make up for that 2018 debacle when I had the LotL chap who climbed Everest while terminally ill.

56 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Was sure to pick him next year, if only because a QO lock mountaineer hit would've been a nice way to make up for that 2018 debacle when I had the LotL chap who climbed Everest while terminally ill.

Yeah was in my team - not often you get to pick a local legend when you live in Cumbria and my first sub who will replace him is a US sports guy - yuk!

My team feels all the worse for it.:(

EDIT: 50 teams in already mind and mine was the only one to pick him. (lot of theme teams come on early doors though).

Yeah, chalk me up as another with a reserved spot for Mr Scott. I'll need to send out another invite.

So, anyone intent on a quick score in a 2021 dead pool could take a brave punt on Alex Gavan and Tamara Lunger

Whilst a load of us will load up on chocolate and wine over the next week - they're out for a stroll up K2 aiming for a mid-winter summiting that's never been done. 

Q/o wise they're a news item  if it all goes wrong - and in eight days time that's all going wrong in a new dead pooling season

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55341778

Spanish mountaineer Sergi Mingote has died while climbing K2, the world's second highest summit, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced Saturday.

SC

11 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Spanish mountaineer Sergi Mingote has died while climbing K2, the world's second highest summit, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced Saturday.

SC

:clivedunn:

• Angry 1

On 23/01/2021 at 22:55, Banana said:

:clivedunn:

Where?

[(Edit to 24 hours later) yeah that’s what I thought.  Because you were wrong, @Banana]

Ali Sadpara has now been pronounced dead...here and there:

https://www.globalvillagespace.com/pakistan-loses-iconic-climber-ali-sadpara/

Edit: There's also a BBC article of yesterday, if we're looking at QOs...but while it speaks of him in the past tense, it does not yet say that he died - which is the requirement of the rules:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56022457

• Like 1