Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

Lemmy From Motörhead

I would hate to see Lemmy die anytime soon, one of the nicest blokes I've ever met.

He bought me a beer and sat and chatted to me at Donnington back in '88 after some neanderthal broke my nose.

Am I going mad, Phantom, or have you posted this anecdote in another thread somewhere else in the past? Or am I suffering from deja-vu?

No offence, it's just that yourself, Lemmy and broken noses sound very familiar. I think I spend way too much time here, you know.

it's in the thread where we all tried to out-namedrop each other. Jimmy Page - I mean - ATJ mastered a simple tactic as i recall - he dropped several 'occupations' without naming the famous person, leaving us to puzzle it out. a master-stroke of one-upmanship.

lemmy was on that ozzy thing last night - you can't fire me i'm piers morgan, or something. wisely telling us that it was different in the old days as 'no-one was telling you to drink bottled water'. doesn't look funny in print, but the delivery had me in stitches. and it was filmed this year, and he looked great (well, by lemmy standards). just like he's looked for the last decade, actually. i suspect that his body chemistry really has mutated (more dja vu - didn't i say that last time i posted on this thread?) and he's discovered the secret of immortality. which is cool, but i don't think i'd like the warts.

While Osbourne's antics remain stuff of legend remember that Lemmy is still walking the walk after all these years.

No reality TV shows. No visits with senior politicians. Just hard drinking and drug taking.

Still the exception that proves the rule.

According to one interview I saw with Lemmy, during Motorheads most successful years, the Lemster was saying that at every gig a guy would appear with a tray of coloured pills and they all just tucked into thier favourite colours....that's a lot of chemicals if you ask me, and I am surprised he's still upright after all that abuse. In saying that tho he is a top notch guy, I met him, Eddie Clarke and Phil Taylor (drummer not Darts player :) ) many years ago in Listen Records in Glasgow, and got my Bomber (blue vynil) and Motorhead motorhead(white vynil) singles autographed....only thing was they are a wee bit deaf..hehehe small wonder.

Anyhoo I hope he goes on for a while yet he is an Iconic figure in rock music..along with his warts too of course :lol:

Regards

Scsi

it's in the thread where we all tried to out-namedrop each other. Jimmy Page - I mean - ATJ mastered a simple tactic as i recall - he dropped several 'occupations' without naming the famous person, leaving us to puzzle it out. a master-stroke of one-upmanship.

Thanks, Pulp, I knew it rang a bell...it's heartening to know that I'm not losing my marbles.

Guest Hawklord

"I did read somewhere that if Lemmy ever STOPS taking amphetamines it will cause such a shock to his metabolism that he might suffer a fatal heart attack."

The *ahem* story goes that Lemmy wanted some sort of blood transplant like Keith Richards had, to cleanse the system so to speak, but doctors said that the 'blood' in Lemmy was not really blood anymore and if they put actual blood in he would die. :blink:

My two cents: Lemmy was at his peak in Hawkwind, and I'm sure you're all aware that the bandname & song "Motorhead" is actually a Hawkwind tune? :blink:

Hawklord, welcome aboard. Any fan of the shamelessly space rockin' hippies is okay with me. They were a little before my time but I suffered a mind blowing conversion when a mate dragged me along to the Electric Tepee tour in the nineties, after which a sh*t-load of CD reissues were acquired and enjoyed. I've developed a real fondness for the 'The Xenon Codex' and 'It is the Business of the Future' period.

Re Lemmy's blood story, I'm sure it makes an appearance on this forum.

Pressure of work made me forget to mention that I caught the great man on stage on November 2nd and he seemed far from death. A mate mentioning on the phone this morning that Lemmy would've survived the fatal dose of that Russian bloke duly reminded me.

I think Motorhead have a date or two left on the UK tour, worth catching IMHO.

Pressure of work made me forget to mention that I caught the great man on stage on November 2nd and he seemed far from death. A mate mentioning on the phone this morning that Lemmy would've survived the fatal dose of that Russian bloke duly reminded me.

A good toxicology experiment could be done with Mr Kilminster regarding the Thallium poisoned Russian. They could get Lemmy down to the lab and get him to inhale, drink or swallow every element in the periodic table in increasing order. Then on DeathList we could each pick a number from 1-94 (those elements which are available in large enough quantities for this experiment) and the winner would be the person with the number of the element which Lemmy, after taking, would exhibit the symptoms of lethal poisoning. I'm not sure he'd make it up to Thallium (number 81), though.

That's genius Lawro, who do you think should approach his management and ask them?

Re the Bomber: It dates back to the 'Bomber' period and is based on a Lancaster bomber. Lemmy is by his own admission 'a reading fool,' and particularly keen on military history books. There's a story that on stage in Germany, stood under the bomber lighting rig he gestured upwards and said to the crowd: 'Haven't seen one of these over here for a while have ya?'

actually LOL at that. Seen them live in the Apollo in Manchester a couple of years back, cracking set, I was deaf for a week after. Second best performing live band I have ever seen after Maiden (just pipping Therapy? into 3rd).

Re the Bomber: It dates back to the 'Bomber' period and is based on a Lancaster bomber. Lemmy is by his own admission 'a reading fool,' and particularly keen on military history books. There's a story that on stage in Germany, stood under the bomber lighting rig he gestured upwards and said to the crowd: 'Haven't seen one of these over here for a while have ya?'

actually LOL at that. Seen them live in the Apollo in Manchester a couple of years back, cracking set, I was deaf for a week after. Second best performing live band I have ever seen after Maiden (just pipping Therapy? into 3rd).

My ears stopped ringing three days after Newcastle. Incidentally, thought their cover of Rosalie a nice touch on this tour.

A Leeds man has been murdered after a Motorhead concert. Apparently he got in to an argument with some people who set his friend's hair on fire during the gig.

Killed By Death

A Leeds man has been murdered after a Motorhead concert. Apparently he got in to an argument with some people who set his friend's hair on fire during the gig.

Killed By Death

If the audience at Leeds was anything like the heaving mass of inconsiderate, drunken, pilled tossers who were at the Cambridge gig I can understand why there was violence. I've been a fan of Motorhead since '75 when they started and the crowd seems to get worse with every tour. It's getting to the point where it's not fun anymore. Anyway, that's my whinge over with.

Killed By Death

Is this a news story that has slipped through a rent in the time/space continuum in 1980 and popped up now? :P

There are unconfirmed reports that Micheal "Würzel" Burston, Motorhead's guitarist from 1984 to 1995, has died at the age of 61. According to his Wiki page, after leaving Motorhead, he released an ambient, improvised avant-garde album entitled Chill Out Or Die.

There are unconfirmed reports that Micheal "Würzel" Burston, Motorhead's guitarist from 1984 to 1995, has died at the age of 61. According to his Wiki page, after leaving Motorhead, he released an ambient, improvised avant-garde album entitled Chill Out Or Die.

Further supporting evidence

"Prior to being in Motörhead, the English guitarist cut his chops in the bands Bastard :) and Warfare ... After leaving Motörhead, Würzel appeared on albums by several other punk and metal bands, including Splodgenessabounds :o , WVKEAF and Disgust"

Well, maybe Lemmy Kilminster of Motörhead is the first candidate to actually die in this topic. He has severe hematoma, just not said where. Apart from that he suffers from Parkinson's disease for some time. Just saw him perform three weeks ago in the Dutch city of Nijmegen. He thought he was in Eindhoven. He did rock the place and that at the age of 67. Motorhead-01.jpg Buuuuuut... anyway.... he's also got his own thread. So, again, what's the point of this one?

Lemmy has drunk a bottle of Jack Daniels a day since the mid 70s. Not surprising he can't remember what city he's in. But then again that can happen to anyone who's on the road all the time, what with arenas being so generic and everything.

I agree he could well snuff it soon. I'd be absolutely amazed if he made it to 75.

Guest Mac

When Lemmy goes who is the King of British Music? I throw my vote to Rick Astley or Tom Jones

When Lemmy goes who is the King of British Music? I throw my vote to Rick Astley or Tom Jones

Rizzle Kicks. Obviously. Why would you even question this?

Those aspiring to Lemmy's throne probably include Pete Doherty and Shane MacGowan but those idle fuckers can't get it together to perform or record on the Lemster's scale, and when they do get their shit together they generally sound like shit these days. You could - just about - argue Ozzy Osbourne into the position; but he's as much American as British these days.

So, a really hard act to follow.