Guest Catherine C

Death List Candidates 2004

Hello Little Sis

Queen Juliana has always been one of my favourites and she was on our list in 2001 - time for a reappearance

She's nothing compared to Princess Alice, Countress of Athlone who was 102 this year. She is the Great Aunt of the Queen, lives in the Queen Mum's old pad and hasn't been seen in public for over 5 years (at least).

Gretchen Franklin? Still alive? Surely not. Well I'll be etc. We'll look at your other nominations although I understand from my sources that Menzies Campbell is beating his lyphoma and good luck to him. Didn't realise he was an Olympian as well (1964 athletics if anyone else is interested)

Are you anyone's little sister in particular?

Mr Stats

Despite my ignorance a bit of preliminary research seems to indicate that Stanley Kunitz is famous enough to get an obituary in the UK press so is definitely worthy of consideration for 2004.

Frankly any 99 years olds passing the famousness test are likely to sleect themselves!

Nice suggestion Little Sister - Thanks :P

Betty Bolton - one of the first people to appear on TV so I have just found out. Her most recent movie on IMDB is listed as 1934 - impressive!

She does still appear to be alive but will we be seeing those obituaries when she goes?

Oh darling how sad.

Being an only child I though I was deprived but to know you have a sibling but not know who it is.........

How tragic

Death come to us all wearing Pixie Boots

Guest Arnold

I've now finally persuaded the IMDB that Kay Walsh is still alive so the way ahead is clear for her inclusion if you feel fit. To recommend her - she is frail and has just been admitted to a nursing home. She will be 90 next year. I also think that as the widow of the very great David Lean and a former leading lady of George Formby (the biggest earning UK pre-war star believe it or not), she will get a mention in The Telegraph and possibly The Express. Sorry to bang on, just an update.

Guest Catherine

She sounds like a likely candidate and certainly passes the famousness test IMHO

Hello

Well I've added her to the list of potentials but both myself and Mr Reaper are of the opinion that we're going to have problems convincing the selection panel

Borderline fame

Mr Stats

Damnit B) - First woman to swim English Channel Gertrude Ederle died today aged 97 - just a month after being suggested by Little Sister for 2004.

Nice work Little Sis - on that form it seems like we need to take serious account of your other suggestions.

Mr Reaper

Not wishing to be pedantic or anything but Gertrude was on my list of candidates for the last two Death Lists but you poo-poo'd her

Mr Stats

Having a sulk

Mr Sulks

Not one to doubt your word but Ive have checked the full voting for the 2002. You voted for sixty five people, but not one of them was Gertrude Ederle.

Your credibilty is looking suspect

Mr Reaper

If you're paying attention to me know, can I put forward Miep Gies, 94 (I think), who help hide Anne Frank and rescued her diary. Now if she doesn't make it into the papers, I'll ..................

Little Sis - of course we're paying attention. Miep Gies is famous enough for me, cracking suggestion.

Mr Reaper - I'm sure I only voted for 50 in 2002, surely that was the limit for all of us - I recall it well as your bizarre ranking system resulted in Princess Margaret not making the list even though everyone nominated her. Anyway you poo-poohed Gertie before I made my nominations - not famous enough you said - I remember the conversation as if it was yesterday.

Darlings

Upset to see such squabbling. Now Mr Stats, shame on you for being so uppity with delicious Grimbo

You and your silly nominations. Just because you submit a list of 400 people every year darling, doesn't mean you can claim to have nominated them all you silly man

I remember that year well and I'm with the Reaper. Although Derek Nimmo was definately his fault

Now stop it you two

Death comes to us all wearing Pixie Boots

How about Sister Lucia, last surviving Fatima seer? I believe she is 95+.

And can we also put The Pope on the list again for next year ( if he makes it thru this one, that is) that old goat is long overdue. He makes me tired just watching him. B)

Guest Ammortal

We can't let that Sister Lucia broad go yet, we still haven't gotten the third Fatima prophecy out of her...

Of course if the prophecy turns out to be that Bush wins a second term... B)

Sister Lucia is 96.

In 2000 the third part of the Fatima secret was revealed by the Pope - don't ask me what it said though. Probably eternal damnation for all internet users.

Hi, I'd like to nominate a couple of people who I reckon are on their last legs.

Prince Rainier of Monaco

Pope John Paul 11 of the Vatican B)

Elizabeth Taylor, the much married

Saddam Hussein.......his number one on the hit list!

Ronnie Reagan, whoever he is!! :D

Sharon Osbourne of the Osbournes

Ronnie Biggs, the old train robber.

And I"d also like to put in Prince Philip the useless of England too.............well, you know my feelings on this excuse for a man.

Thanx, & have a Happy New Year all. :D

Guest JL

Any word on Abe Vigoda? He looked super-old when he did "The Godfather" (82 now), and if anyone saw those Comedy Central roasts of recent years, he hardly looks sentient...

Overall, a good list this year. Lots of 90's there which I can see adding to the total in a year's time. I am a bit disappointed at the omission of Sister Lucia and Charles Lane, but you don't want a list composed almost solely of 97 year olds and up. Should be an interesting year, with the passing of many of these people.