millwall32

Brinsworth House and Denville Hall

I think that these visits are unlikely. Since an unfortunate misunderstanding involving my discovery in a hydrangea bush in La Wyatt's garden in 2002 she has not set foot outdoors ........... well not while I've been watching.
I still can't decide whether or not I hope you're joking about the whole set of Wyatt-based 'misunderstandings'.

Actually that's a lie, I hope it's all true. :)

For those unfortunate souls who haven't got The Mail On Sunday, the link below is to a scanned picture,

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/7791/imgai2.jpg

From left to right; Dicky O', Penny Forsyth, Monty Morris, Lila Prentice, Reg Brigden and Fluff Freeman in the wheelchair.

TF, thank you. I was seriously considering selling my soul to the devil & buying the Daily Wail, but you've saved my soul - this time. :rolleyes:

Well obviously Dicky O looks older, but yep, I agree he appears to look alright.

Alan Freeman, however, looks absolutey shocking. Of course, he looks older than the B & w picture, but he was looking well not all that long ago :skill2:

Surely the boy Fluff is third from the left. It looks more like him.

R O'S looks surprisingly healthy. But the Fluff looks as rough as all hell.

Surely the boy Fluff is third from the left. It looks more like him.

I am inclined to agree. My first reaction on seeing the guy 3rd from the left was "that's Fluff". I was quite confused when I scrolled across to see the wheelchair-bound guy being labelled as him instead.

Can anyone clear this one up once and for all? Maybe we could send someone (BHB?) in undercover?

Guest Theo

Found the Mail article, plus another. Here's one from The Sun recently:

HEADLINE: Norman lives with old folks

Emma Cox, Deputy TV Editor

VETERAN comic Sir Norman Wisdom is moving into an old folks' home at the age of 91.

The sprightly OAP -who appeared in Coronation Street a year ago -has decided to move into a home for elderly showbiz artists after having a pacemaker fitted.

Other residents at Brinsworth House in Twickenham, South West London, include ex-DJ Alan "Fluff" Freeman, Man About The House actor Richard O'Sullivan, and Penny Forsyth -dancer and first wife of Bruce.

Executive administrator Peter Elliot said last night: "Norman has been here before to entertain the residents.

"He's coming back in September for a week with a view to becoming a permanent resident in late December.

"He's not in ill health -he just wants to be waited on."

LOAD-DATE: August 1, 2006

LOL! He wants to be waited on. Haha.

Here's the Mail article:

HEADLINE: Where do old troupers go when the spotlight fades? Where else, darling, but this home for showbiz artistes, where Fluff Freeman, former Windmill girls and Charlie ('Mr Charles') Drake hold court...

BYLINE: NICK PRYER

BODY:

wITH its deep red carpet, redand-gold flocked wallpaper and closely-packed signed photographs of famous and not-so-famous showbusiness faces, it looks for all the world like the interval bar at a traditional West End theatre.

At one end of a group of tables, the legendary former Radio 1 DJ Alan 'Fluff' Freeman is regaling the house with a deeply unreliable account of his visit to Buckingham Palace to receive the MBE. Actor Richard O'Sullivan, who starred in Seventies sitcoms Man About The House and Robin's Nest, listens intently at the other end of the table.

Sitting next to him is Penny Forsyth, a former Windmill Theatre dancer and first wife of entertainer Bruce Forsyth.

At 79, Fluff's voice is a shadow of the mellifluous baritone that brought us the unforgettable radio catchphrases 'Greetings pop-pickers!' and 'Not Arf!'

He has had an operation on his jaw and crippling arthritis means he is not as nimble as he once was, but he still has a twinkle in his eye and the charisma of a true star.

'So my producer said, "What did the Queen say to you",' he continues. 'I told him that the conversation between Her Majesty and myself would always be kept in strict confidence. "But I've worked with you for 30 years," the producer said. But I said, "I'm sorry, mate, I've been sworn to secrecy'."

More drinks come and someone whispers in Fluff's ear. He looks distracted for a second.

'MBE? OBE? No, you're right. It was the CBE, my memory is not what it was... anyway, the producer goes on and on and finally I give in on the strict understanding that what I tell him must go no further.' Fluff leans forward. The chatter in the little bar dies away as the rest of the crowd a collection of elderly former variety artists and faces from the last days of music hall eagerly await the punchline.

'I told him, "I bowed and introduced myself to her Alan Freeman, Ma'am."

And she said to me [he pauses for effect and raises his voice a few octaves in a perfect Royal accent], "Mr Freeman ...

Why don't you bugger orff!" ' The room erupts in laughter.

If it sounds as if they are in the Green Room at The Palladium or a stage-door watering hole off Shaftesbury Avenue at some time in the Fifties, the illusion is entirely deliberate. This is the inner sanctum of Brinsworth House, which since 1911 has been a retirement home for old showbusiness troupers.

Brinsworth is known in the entertainment business as 'The Old Pros' Paradise' and the 36 residents represent the last generation of a lost world of showbusiness. They include former Bluebell Girls, Tiller Girls, clowns, a member of the Black and White Minstrels and a woman no taller than an eight-year-old girl. She appeared in music halls as Pepe Poupee and has specially-made miniature furniture in her room.

After the laughter from Freeman's anecdote dies down, talk turns to the great elder statesmen and women of the British stage the likes of ' Cheerful' Charlie Chester, Dame Thora Hird, Hylda Baker and Sir Norman Wisdom who have all stayed at Brinsworth at one time or other.

MISSING out on the fun is diminutive comic actor Charlie Drake, who is normally at the bar but is feeling unwell. Now 81, Drake has had an extraordinary life. Born into poverty in Elephant and Castle, South London, he found an escape by singing Any Old Iron in the music halls for 7s 6d at the age of eight.

He became a household name during the post-war boom in television with his catchphrase, 'Hello My Darlings'. The money rolled in. He had a mansion in Weybridge, Surrey, owned 14 racehorses and a couple of yachts. He also had two expensive divorces, and lost an astonishing Pounds 5million fortune through gambling and massive tax demands.

Now, according to the assembled cast, he wants little to do with the old days, despite reinventing himself as an award-winning straight actor in plays by Pinter, Beckett, Dostoevsky and Shakespeare. Famously difficult to work with, it is said he now insists on being called Charles and 'sits in the bar, looking like a cross, ancient baby, and glowers at us all'.

Others have proved themselves to be more approachable. Thora Hird lived at Brinsworth until her death, aged 91, three years ago and nobody has a bad word to say about her. 'People who were stars in the outside world are still stars when they come here. Everyone gives them the respect they deserve,' said Brinsworth's executive administrator Peter Elliott.

'We ask everyone what they want to be called. Some choose their stage names, some are grand, some are down to earth. But Dame Thora just wanted to be known as Thora. She was lovely.' In the bar, they wholeheartedly agree and point out that Sir Norman Wisdom, who came in a few weeks ago for a brief 'holiday', wanted everyone to call him 'Norm'.

'He was fantastic,' said Sheila Gould, a qualified nurse who has been matron of Brinsworth for the past 18 years. 'He would sit down and play the piano, sing the old songs and keep everyone entertained. But he did give us a terrible scare for an hour or so when he suddenly went missing.

'We sent out nurses in all directions looking for him and then heard he was just up the road at the local petrol station. We rushed up there and he was busily entertaining everyone on the forecourt there was an enormous crowd of people watching him. On another occasion when he went to visit one of our residents in hospital, he brought the whole place to a halt.' Sir Norman, 91, who now lives on the Isle of Man, said he had been visiting Brinsworth House for many years either to stay there for a short period or entertain the residents.

He explained: 'When they thought they'd lost me, I had just gone out for a walk, as I do every day. I think I caused a bit of a stir in the garage. Cars kept pulling in and nobody seemed to want to leave. I felt I had to entertain them, so I started singing I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles. Everyone was singing along and there was quite a crowd by the end, I can tell you.' At 98, Lila Prentice a former acrobat at Billy Smart's Circus who can still touch her toes is the eldest resident at Brinsworth, and 62-year-old Richard O'Sullivan, who moved in three years ago after suffering a series of illnesses, is the youngest. His former lover Tessa Wyatt, who starred opposite him in Robin's Nest, still visits him regularly with their son Jamie, 26.

Sheila Gould said she was ' flabbergasted' by the camaraderie when she first began working at Brinsworth. 'I had never seen so many extroverts and so many people with exotic lives. They tell stories, flirt with each other, we have had courtships and even a mar-

riage. It was a real eye-opener.' She has a wealth of stories about the fascinating lives many have led. One woman was sold at birth, went on to tour the world in the Twenties with her husband, a black American singer, before running a strip club in Soho. Social services paid for her stay at Brinsworth but it was discovered after her death that she had amassed a fortune by letting out two London flats to ladies of ill-repute.

Another poster in the entrance hall screams in lurid red ink: 'Nineteen Sexty One Spectacular, featuring Europe's most versatile strip queen Carla.' Carla Mcdonough, who was also a soprano, tap dancer and contortionist, is Brinsworth's resident glamour-puss and is portrayed in one framed black-and-white photo from her heyday thoughtfully smoking a cigarette held between her toes.

'Carla is in hospital at the moment and when we went to visit her, she pulled off her oxygen mask and asked if anyone had any lipstick,' Sheila added.

Another resident, Barbara 'Red' Stetson The Tapper in the Topper was a stand-in for Marlene Dietrich and boasted she could kick her legs higher than anyone in the country.

Back in the bar, singer and dancer Monty Morris reels off a list of longforgotten music halls around the country when asked where he worked.

'He's asking about your career, not your sex life,' interjected former comedy magician Reg Brigden. 'Sex life!' Monty responds quick as a flash. 'That's just a distant memory now.' Brinsworth House, in Twickenham-South West London, is run by the Entertainment Artistes' Benevolent Fund and financed from the receipts of the Royal Variety Performance. It has been completely refurbished under Mr Elliott's stewardship.

Sheila Gould said: 'When I came here it was very institutional, with old lino and peeling paint. But now red carpets, old posters and photographs everywhere are a deliberate attempt to make it like a theatre.

'That's how the residents made their living and it's the world they know best. Of course, showbusiness is a job, like any other, but these people often lived extraordinary lives.

'At the end of their lives, we can offer them the opportunity to be with their own sort of people. That's why the conversation here is often of the old days of the music halls and variety, which is a lost world now.

This is their home, so those who are mobile are free to come and go as they please. Their family and friends are welcome to pop in at any time to eat, drink or stay overnight.

'We like to continue the showbusiness tradition. We have trips to the theatre and the Royal Variety Performance. We have a huge party with 300 family and guests at Christmas and in the summer and we have concerts. Famous people like Ronnie Corbett often visit.' The average age of residents is 82 and most are understandably sedate.

They have private rooms with televisions where they can keep family photos and reminders of their glory days. The house has a beautiful garden, a chef cooks three meals a day and a hairdresser calls every week.

Regular outings are organised a contingent recently went to a garden party at Buckingham Palace and Prince Charles, who recently opened Brinsworth's new conservatory, has invited a group to Highgrove.

Alan Freeman, for one, is certainly appreciative of the care. 'I never thought I'd need a place like this, but when you are struck down by illness, as happened to me, it is lovely to know there is somewhere like Brinsworth to look after you.' If, perhaps, the Royal Variety Performance has lost some of the lustre it once enjoyed (John Lennon once famously quipped 'Those in the cheaper seats, clap your hands. The rest, just rattle your jewellery') it is clear there is still a pressing need for it.

As the curtain comes down on the lives of a generation of performers from stage, screen, TV and radio, it is hard to begrudge them a drink or two in Brinsworth's theatre bar or a trip down memory lane to the lost world of music hall and the welcome rustle of distant applause.

. IF you would like to make a donation, make cheques payable to EABF and send to Peter Elliott, Entertainment Artistes' Benevolent Fund, Brinsworth House, 72, Staines Road, Twickenham TW2 5AL.

Thank you Theo. A fabulous insight into the lives of the once 'sort-of' famous.

you couldn't make up that image of Charlie Drake

reinventing himself as an award-winning straight actor in plays by Pinter, Beckett, Dostoevsky and Shakespeare. Famously difficult to work with, it is said he now insists on being called Charles and 'sits in the bar, looking like a cross, ancient baby, and glowers at us all

Someone offer him a run in panto........ Tessa gets a mention too.

Let's get this straight, to be resident there you have to have been a performer of some kind, stage managers, agents etc don't count?

If so, are there any of the 36 residents who'd NOT qualify for their own DL thread?

Only the ones we've never heard of ie 90% of them.

Aye, but there's loads of people who did summat in showbiz a while back who'd be unknown to most of our posters but would get a UK media obit.

I'm guessin' Pepe Poupee might struggle to count in terms of fame but most of the others would get a write up in the bigger papers.

Aye, but there's loads of people who did summat in showbiz a while back who'd be unknown to most of our posters but would get a UK media obit.

I'm guessin' Pepe Poupee might struggle to count in terms of fame but most of the others would get a write up in the bigger papers.

Carla Mcdonough, who was also a soprano, tap dancer and contortionist, is Brinsworth's resident glamour-puss and is portrayed in one framed black-and-white photo from her heyday thoughtfully smoking a cigarette held between her toes.

I once went to a stag night where a stripper 'thoughtfully' puffed a cigar with her vagina. Much to the amusement of a good-natured crowd, one of whom raced from his seat and made off with the cigar. God I miss the Masons.

The weird thing about a strip night like that is you can laugh at the cigar trick but if you went home and found your missus pulling the same stunt you'd cak yourself.

The weird thing about a strip night like that is you can laugh at the cigar trick but if you went home and found your missus pulling the same stunt you'd cak yourself.

Dammit MPFC! My wife would never smoke in the house.

Guest Bill Townsend

I cant understand the talk of richard o sullivan dying on here. He is no where near deaths door, he suffers from depression and is fine shape for his age.

Guest Bill Townsend

I cant understand the talk of richard o sullivan dying on here. He is no where near deaths door, he suffers from depression and is fine shape for his age. I often see him in the shops and my aunt knows him and visits him on numerous occasions. If you are waiting for him to die on here (lol) you most likely will still be waitng in 15 years from now!

Bill mate, please check out the Dickie O thread here, you'll see it started with speculation on his health and - sort of - became our common room and a place to celebrate the richness and diversity of light entertainment, or summat. Dickie and Clive Dunn are more like DL mascots.

Yes Bill. Read the whole thread and thank God that your life isn't as empty as ours.

Excuse me chaps, if this Bill fellow is right, and Dickie is in the habit of nipping down to the shops for a half-bottle of Gordon's and 20 Rothmans, then why don't we send Millwall, BHB or some other Able Fellow down to Twickers to station himself in front of Brinsworth House to wait until he comes out? Perhaps a battered Transit with darkened windows could be arranged. A quick look on Google Earth showed me there's ample parking out front.

When our man emerges, all you have to do is tail him down to the offie, go in behind him and engage him in casual conversation, not forgetting to ask after his health and how Tessa is doing.

Nothing could be simpler.

Now which leading DL member lives nearest to Brinsworth House?

Excuse me chaps, if this Bill fellow is right, and Dickie is in the habit of nipping down to the shops for a half-bottle of Gordon's and 20 Rothmans, then why don't we send Millwall, BHB or some other Able Fellow down to Twickers to station himself in front of Brinsworth House to wait until he comes out? Perhaps a battered Transit with darkened windows could be arranged. A quick look on Google Earth showed me there's ample parking out front.

When our man emerges, all you have to do is tail him down to the offie, go in behind him and engage him in casual conversation, not forgetting to ask after his health and how Tessa is doing.

Millwall volunteered to infiltrate Brinsworth a couple of months ago and, frankly, disappointed us. The lad seemed to lack the resolve to go through with the project. However, hanging around outside may just be manageable for him. Personally, I would suggest someone local who has a bit more spunk about him.

Millwall volunteered to infiltrate Brinsworth a couple of months ago and, frankly, disappointed us. The lad seemed to lack the resolve to go through with the project. However, hanging around outside may just be manageable for him. Personally, I would suggest someone local who has a bit more spunk about him.

I think I know just the man!

Guest Bill townsend

LOL yeah you would see him if you sat outside of the house every morning, but hes just a old actor who hasnt been on tv for 15 years or more...But hes not in the public eye anymore and hes barely reconisable from how he was in the early 1980,s. I dont think it would really be worth your while. I live not far from there and seeing him wandering about the shops is no great big deal.I only know of him because of my realtives knowing him and i woudnt reconise him at all, if he hadnt been pointed out to me.. It seems stange to me why you are even considering doing this, but if you want to do it, then go ahead :D i wish you luck

Is there any chance of Dickie O dolls being added to the range of DL merchandise? My guess is they'd sell like hot cakes.

Maybe you could even have different ones (like Barbie) .. MOTH Dickie, Dick Turpin Dickie, etc

Is there any chance of Dickie O dolls being added to the range of DL merchandise? My guess is they'd sell like hot cakes.

Maybe you could even have different ones (like Barbie) .. MOTH Dickie, Dick Turpin Dickie, etc

....Brinsworth House Dickie

Shouldn't that be MATH Dickie?

Oops, yes :D

Oops, yes :party:

I just had this vision of a Dickie O doll with wings stuck on the back :D

Oops, yes :party:

Well I'd buy one.

Oops, yes :)

Well I'd buy one.

I think Paul McCartney has enough on his plate at the moment, without having to worry about issuing court proceedings against the unauthorised manufacture and issue of Dicky O dolls with the images of himself, Denny Laine and his late vegetarian (vegetated?) wife on its back.

Although the added stress might make him a worthy candidate for next year's list...