Sign in to follow this  
M.Lawrenson

Nigel Kneale & Judith Kerr

Watching The Quatermass Trilogy on DVD a while ago, I found out writer Nigel Kneale is still alive (b. 18th April 1922). Judging by the documentary features, he can't have long left. Bright and alert in footage shot in 1993, he looked old and frail on the other made in 2004. And to be honest, he doesn't seem to have done much writing for TV in the last 10 years.

I think he was asked to write an episode of "The X-Files" but turned them down, maybe he knows he's past it. (Or he's just enjoying his retirement.)

Writers man, some of them go on and on living. He's way younger than Studs Terkel, Edward Upward and JD Salinger.

I thought he looked quite frail too. Don't much care for the man. For all his talk of being Manxman, he left at the first oportunity.

Mind you, can't say I blame him.

I thought he looked quite frail too. Don't much care for the man. For all his talk of being Manxman, he left at the first oportunity.

Mind you, can't say I blame him.

Tell me Handrejka, do you have a tail?

Yes. A nice bit of tail

I'm not Manx by birth but am in danger of becoming more Manx than the Manx.

Guest Victor Carroon

I doubt that Kneale thought he was 'passed it' when refusing to write for the X-Files. I think you'll find that the reason he declined to write an episode was because he hated the programme, describing Duchovny and Anderson as "mumbling non-actors"

Guest Guest

Sadly, Nigel passed away Sunday 29th October 2006.

Shame, but I can't say I'm too surprised, he didn't look well when I saw him in a documentary last year. However, he was only on my outside possibilities for next year so no gnashing of teeth for DDP missed points.

:crossbone: Came across as a nice fellow in the documentary.

His widow, Judith Kerr might be worth considering for the future. She's a children's author in her own right. "When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit" is probably her best known work. I'm sure she'd get an obit

Judith Kerr, widow of Quatermass writer Nigel Kneale...

^

I had fun writing Judith Kerr's bio on the HDP :rip:

Judith Kerr, widow of Quatermass writer Nigel Kneale...

Recent article on Judith Kerr.

Lady Susana Walton, the widow of Sir William Walton will be 82 on August 30th - suprisingly young considering that Sir William died in 1983 at the age of 80. A definite obit., but she's looking and sounding very healthy. Probably not a keeper.

Lady Shirley Beecham, widow of Sir Thomas, can top Lady Sue in the marrying-a-randy-old-goat stakes. She's in her mid-eighties, but Tommy would be 128 if still alive. Not a definite obit, though.

Edit: this post has been ripped kicking and screaming from the Widow Shopping thread to help create a mutant Kneale/Kerr monster, if anyone's wondering what Shirley Beecham has to do with the price of fish.

His widow, Judith Kerr might be worth considering for the future. She's a children's author in her own right. "When Hitler stole Pink Rabbit" is probably her best known work. I'm sure she'd get an obit

Judith Kerr, now aged 87, was interviewed on Radio 4's Front Row programme tonight. She sounded pretty sprightly - lots of hearty laughter and banter with host Mark Lawson - and is embarking on a new children's book about a gang of great grannies who dash about on a bus preforming good deeds. It didn't realy sound like her grip on life had loosened that much.

Judith Kerr, now aged 87, was interviewed on Radio 4's Front Row programme tonight. She sounded pretty sprightly - lots of hearty laughter and banter with host Mark Lawson - and is embarking on a new children's book about a gang of great grannies who dash about on a bus preforming good deeds. It didn't realy sound like her grip on life had loosened that much.

Gang of great grannies, eh?

regards,

Hein

Judith was awarded an OBE in The Queen's Birthday Honours list. Is this a case of like Edward Kenneday and Robert Stephens - get it in quick whilst it is still an option?

It is pretty damning that Judith has been overlooked for so long when Jacqueline Wilson and J K Rowling are already Dames.

Guest Guest

Little known fact is that the character Bernard Quatermass got his first name from the astronomer Sir Bernard Lovell who died this week

Judith Kerr releases her first new novel in 37 years:

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2015/aug/13/judith-kerr-announces-first-novel-in-37-years-mister-cleghorns-seal

Maybe she's a little jealous of Harper Lee... and while Kerr is mentally healthier than Lee, she's also a couple of years older.

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2015/aug/13/judith-kerr-announces-first-novel-in-37-years-mister-cleghorns-seal

Maybe she's a little jealous of Harper Lee... and while Kerr is mentally healthier than Lee, she's also a couple of years older.

Huh? Judith's published lots of books since then.

On a read of that article, its "first illustrated book" since 1978, and even then, I guess they don't count Mog.

On a read of that article, its "first illustrated book" since 1978, and even then, I guess they don't count Mog.

I dropped Judith from my theme team this year but think she will go on again next year. Her studio is in the attic and she can still get up there to work everyday.

Yes, it's not really on a level with Harper Lee in terms of reclusiveness. I wonder if anything can be deduced from releasing a novel, i.e. not being able to illustrate anymore or something like that.

Edit: Also thanks for moving the post. I saw that noone picked her in DDP and then considered her too much of an insider's name to have her own thread...