Sign in to follow this  
M.Lawrenson

Nigel Kneale & Judith Kerr

Judith Kerr releases her first new novel in 37 years:

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2015/aug/13/judith-kerr-announces-first-novel-in-37-years-mister-cleghorns-seal

Maybe she's a little jealous of Harper Lee... and while Kerr is mentally healthier than Lee, she's also a couple of years older.

Huh? Judith's published lots of books since then.

On a read of that article, its "first illustrated book" since 1978, and even then, I guess they don't count Mog.

I dropped Judith from my theme team this year but think she will go on again next year. Her studio is in the attic and she can still get up there to work everyday.

I'd think she has a bit to go yet - still quite active with signings and the like - but I'm reminded I was in contact with a [unique Pick on the 2014 DDP] last year and he seemed to be in fine health. Five months later he was dead! These things happen when folk get old.

News article states it's the first illustrated novel in 37 years, so perhaps the Mog series of books do not fall under the category of being novels, rather than just childrens' books.

Hold on.
Can we back up a moment?
It doesn't appear we are talking Quatermass the band.

No one has even HEARD of Quatermass except YT (I have their first album--vinyl tyvm), so this thread is terribly intriguing even though the title I don't understand as pertains to content. Looks like there's a book by that name? I don't know it.
Alls anyone needs to know is Quatermass were rather useless trio, but the bass player Gustafson ended up playing with Roxy and that's his memorable bass line on Love Is The Drug, and they wrote 'Black Sheep of the Family' which became a hit for Rainbow (I think it was).

There's all I know about Quatermass the band, not the book.

SC

The Quatermass Experiment (and subsequent sequels, including a crap remake in 2005) were early Brit TV SF from the 1950s, highly pioneering TV which inspired most of British SF since. (Large chunks of Doctor Who rip the series off wholesale, as one example.) They were written by Nigel Kneale, long time grumpy sod, but he died in 2006. Judith Kerr, aforementioned children's writer, is his widow.

I've never heard of the band. The writer was really good, even if he was a grumpy sod.

• Like 2

Judith Kerr brings back Mog from the grave for a Sainsbury's ad to raise money for Children.

Is she jusr reminding us in time for next year or is she trying to rule herself out of the running by being active and lovely?

Old ladies - never trust em.....

Form watching: Judith Kerr is on Newsnight tonight. It'll be on Iplayer. She looks 90 odd but sounds in fine fettle, laughs at the interviewers crap jokes, memory working, can still apparently read (she gives a reading from When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit). She can even make jokes about escaping the Holocauste. Would be, to my mind, a complete waste of a DDP pick in the near future.

Form watching: Judith Kerr is on Newsnight tonight. It'll be on Iplayer. She looks 90 odd but sounds in fine fettle, laughs at the interviewers crap jokes, memory working, can still apparently read (she gives a reading from When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit). She can even make jokes about escaping the Holocauste. Would be, to my mind, a complete waste of a DDP pick in the near future.

No she is jusr ensuring there is plenty of footage for the BBC4 tribute programmes they will show next Christmas.

(I have already submitted my DDP Theme team so she better come up trumps or kill the other 19 for me)

No she is jusr ensuring there is plenty of footage for the BBC4 tribute programmes they will show next Christmas.

(I have already submitted my DDP Theme team so she better come up trumps or kill the other 19 for me)

Well, you never know.

I was speaking to a writer (whom I wont name for personal reasons) who was on the DDP in December 2013. He seemed in very good health. He died five months later.

Judith Kerr has a new book out and has an interview at SPIEGEL Online (in german and behind a paywall, mostly):

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/judith-kerr-hitler-auf-seite-zwei-a-1111840.html

Among the first lines: "She is 93 years old, but appears 10,15 years younger."

Judith Kerr, 95 today :birthday:

• Like 2

Judith Kerr at y'day's HarperCollins party. Authors who reckon themselves a bit too much: take note. She is rocking the most awesome jacket I have ever seen. She is drinking rosé. She takes the tube after meetings at HC rather than them ordering a car. She wrote Mog. SHE IS 93!

DhVg-7YW0AEbr5w.jpg
21 replies .101 retweets537 likes

Retweeted

Liked

Direct message
  • Like 4

NB: That photo's from 2016 so Harriet Evans isn't wrong to say that she's 93.

Here she is yesterday at 95, chatting up Eddie Redmayne:

DhWoC2zXcAEfe6x.thumb.jpeg.f85f47fb7be47763be775eafd4ae3f41.jpeg

Go Judith!

• Like 3

Did he give her that pearl necklace? 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

NB: That photo's from 2016 so Harriet Evans isn't wrong to say that she's 93.

Here she is yesterday at 95, chatting up Eddie Redmayne:

DhWoC2zXcAEfe6x.thumb.jpeg.f85f47fb7be47763be775eafd4ae3f41.jpeg

Go Judith!

I can imagine the conversation going something like:

Judith: You are an actor? I am sure I have seen one of your films..

Eddie: Les Mis?

J: No

E: The Danish Girl?

J: No

E: The Theory of Everything? I won an Oscar for that one

J: No. Got it! Jupiter Ascending God that was a crock of shit. Science Fiction should be dark and explore the impact of alien creature on human culture. 

E: Like Fantastic Beasts and where to Find Them?

J: One more comment like that young man and you will be carrying your dopey smile home in a carrier bag.

• Haha 2

Judith is the only Writer to survive my wildcard curse. In my work game every player gets 50 picks from a list but they are all allowed a wildcard pick someone who is not on the list. Every year I pick a writer and I have had a good hit rate if not in the game year in the following year Gore Vidal, Jack Vance, Mary Stewart, Nicholas Fisk and Ursula K Le Guin. This year's pick is Clive King so will he join Judith or the others.

Terrible news. Judith Kerr was one of the greatest kids writers of all time, imo.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Terrible news. Judith Kerr was one of the greatest kids writers of all time, imo.

Her last book was published in 2017 and she was still giving interviews and going to functions so I was lulled into a false sense of security. The only thing I had her picked in was my Generations team.

Massive miss for my DDP theme team.

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

Her last book was published in 2017 and she was still giving interviews and going to functions so I was lulled into a false sense of security. The only thing I had her picked in was my Generations team.

Massive miss for my DDP theme team.

Miss for the DL only in that she's a DL worthy name, but... she was going to stuff a few months ago and still sprightly and chatty! This as surprising as a nearly 96 year old person dying can be.

• Like 1

Judith was tired. She was dead tired…Judith thought, ‘I want to sleep for ever.’ And so she did.

• Like 1

Never would've guessed out of the class of 1923 that the still-hale Kerr would've died before corpse lookalikes like Redstone, Zeffirelli, and Dole. Crazy.

• Like 2