Lady Die

Plane, Train And Automobile Crashes

3 hours ago, Genfærd said:

9 dead in Örebro, Sweden, when a plane carrying parachute jumpers crashed a few hours ago

And not one of them saw it was all going pete tong and got out? That said, my Swedish isn't up to much so I didn't check the link to see if it was on take-off or before they got to a safe to jump height.

Weird if not though.

• Like 2

So Sweden has, during the last ten days had a execution-styled murder of a cop committed by a 17-year old (30.6), an incident where a train ran over two children and one adult that is being investigated as a murder case (7.6) and now a plane crash that killed 9 people?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, arghton said:

So Sweden has, during the last ten days had a execution-styled murder of a cop committed by a 17-year old (30.6), an incident where a train ran over two children and one adult that is being investigated as a murder case (7.6) and now a plane crash that killed 9 people?

That plane crash - apart from the pilot, the other fatalities were skydivers. Ironic.

Two people, a man and a women, died in a plane crash in Somerset Yesterday and it’s only now getting in the press with a mention by the police  for people to keep away from the scene being the most suspicious  to me. Makes me wonder if one or both of the victims are notable in some way. 

34 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Two people, a man and a women, died in a plane crash in Somerset Yesterday and it’s only now getting in the press with a mention by the police  for people to keep away from the scene being the most suspicious  to me. Makes me wonder if one or both of the victims are notable in some way. 

More likley it'sto let the AAIB get on with their investigation or someone has nicked some wreckage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Or it's a notable aircraft. The historic aircraft of the Fleet Air Arm operate from Yeovilton which is not too far from the crash site, and there's also the charity Navy Wings at Ilchcester who also have some historic aircraft. If one of those went down it would probably be described as 'light' in the media.

A marriage proposal ended in tragedy after a small plane towing a "will you marry me" banner crashed on an island near Montreal.

The passenger in the small, Cessna 172 aircraft was killed while the pilot survived. He remained in hospital recovering from his injuries.

new banner: will you bury me

SC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thatcher said:

Helicopter has crashed in India - onboard was General Bipin Rawat, current Chief of Defence Staff.

Update: Bipin Rawat taken to hospital in a critical condition.

Dead?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Dead?

Well, yeah, I know you think Indian politicians are hardy bastards when it comes to health problems, but surviving a helicopter smash would be a prima facie case for witchcraft.

Seems like he was the first Chief of Defence Staff of India, the title was created on the 1st of January 2020. Before that he was the final Chairman of the Chiefs of the Staff Committee for a few months in 2019. He is survived by around 23 of his predecessors.

I hope this won't start a war or anything, hope they won't blame it on anyone unless there was foul play

The death of General Bipin Rawat has been confirmed.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/shaurya-chakra-awardee-captain-varun-singh-iaf-chopper-crash-tamil-nadu-coonor-1885634-2021-12-08

More information on this:

13 out of the 14 passengers dead. According to many articles the sole survivor is Group Captain Varun Singh who around 20 years ago survived a splintered grenade that "tore open his chest"

Will he again make a miraculous recovery?

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 12:27, arghton said:

Group Cpt. Varun Singh, 42 (mentioned above) was on life support a couple of days ago, now "critical but stable":

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/chopper-crash-varun-singh-s-condition-fluctuating-father-says-he-s-a-fighter-101639223236204.html

Father says (or thinks) that he'll survive, but on the other hand he has 95% burns. 

Varun Singh dead 

Only survivor of the original 14. All passengers now dead.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

Cross posting for completeness.

Four people, including an American skateboarder and a prominent Icelandic aviator, died in a small plane crash last week in Iceland, the authorities said on Tuesday.

A large search and rescue operation on Sunday found the remains of four people in Lake Thingvallavatn, the country’s second largest lake, about 30 miles east of the capital of Reykjavik, Oddur Arnason, the police chief in South Iceland, said in an email.

The people believed to be on board the plane before it disappeared from radar on Thursday were Josh Neuman, Haraldur Diego, Nicola Bellavia and Tim Alings, according to family and friends.

SC

Cast member of the show Outback Wrangler on the National Geographic network, Chris Wilson, has died after his helicopter crashed in an isolated location of the Northern Territory of Australia Monday night. He was 34.

SC

The head coach of a New Mexico college men’s and women’s golf program was killed in a head-on collision between the school’s van and a pickup truck in Texas — as several other victims, including students, are still yet to be identified, according to local reports.

Tyler James, who was entering his first season as head coach at the University of the Southwest in Hobbs, was killed when the private school’s vehicle collided head-on with a Ford F-150 on SH 115 and 1788 about 8:15 p.m. Tuesday.

Several others were believed to have also died in the accident on the two-lane road about nine miles from the city of Andrews.

I’ve driven out there and there’s nothing but long flat boring stretches of two-land highway and desert.  Very likely someone fell asleep at the wheel if they weren’t texting.  It would take emergency vehicles 30+ minutes to get to the accident scene, contributing to deaths if they were salvageable.

SC

13 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

The head coach of a New Mexico college men’s and women’s golf program was killed in a head-on collision between the school’s van and a pickup truck in Texas — as several other victims, including students, are still yet to be identified, according to local reports.

Tyler James, who was entering his first season as head coach at the University of the Southwest in Hobbs, was killed when the private school’s vehicle collided head-on with a Ford F-150 on SH 115 and 1788 about 8:15 p.m. Tuesday.

Several others were believed to have also died in the accident on the two-lane road about nine miles from the city of Andrews.

I’ve driven out there and there’s nothing but long flat boring stretches of two-land highway and desert.  Very likely someone fell asleep at the wheel if they weren’t texting.  It would take emergency vehicles 30+ minutes to get to the accident scene, contributing to deaths if they were salvageable.

SC

Updating: 

The Texas Department of Public Safety says nine people were killed in a head-on collision in West Texas, including six students and a coach from a New Mexico university's golf teams.

Sgt. Steven Blanco says a pickup truck crossed the center line of a highway Tuesday night and crashed into a vehicle carrying members of the University of the Southwest men's and women's golf teams. They had been returning from a tournament in Midland, Texas.

Blanco says six students were killed, along with a faculty member. The driver of the pickup and its passenger were also killed.

Fucking awful.

SC

On 16/03/2022 at 21:40, Sir Creep said:

Updating: 

The Texas Department of Public Safety says nine people were killed in a head-on collision in West Texas, including six students and a coach from a New Mexico university's golf teams.

Sgt. Steven Blanco says a pickup truck crossed the center line of a highway Tuesday night and crashed into a vehicle carrying members of the University of the Southwest men's and women's golf teams. They had been returning from a tournament in Midland, Texas.

Blanco says six students were killed, along with a faculty member. The driver of the pickup and its passenger were also killed.

Fucking awful.

SC

Updating the update:

A 13-year-old was driving the pickup truck that crashed into a van carrying members of a New Mexico university's golf teams, killing nine people in West Texas on Tuesday night, officials said Thursday. 

An early investigation revealed that the truck had a spare wheel in place of its left front tire, according to National Transportation Safety Board Vice Chairman Bruce Landsberg. That spare tire seemed to have failed, causing the truck to swerve in front of the van.