Lady Die

Elvis Presley

didn't he give money to the KKK too??? :(

Don't you mean BK? (Insert burger eating smilie)

No, they gave him money to endorse their healthy range of fast food products :ph34r:

Somehow I just knew there'd be an Elvis thread.

Mr P would have been is 75 on January 8th and those lovely people at BBC4 and BBC2 have a slew of programmes old and new leading up to it to help us celebrate.

Thangyouvehmuch.

Catching a superb performance from Red West in his movie Goodbye Solo got me wondering how many of the Memphis Mafia still survive. Mostly well into their seventies, some of them beyond that, and several worthy of press coverage when they go. From Elvis' original band Scotty Moore and D J Fontana are both alive an pushing 80, Red West and a few of the other 'bodyguards' also survive. West has a significant acting career and the notable feat of penning the first insider expose of life with Elvis. Whether the likes of Judy Spreckels would get press coverage on death is less clear. But there's a theme team's worth of ageing talent here.

Songwriter Jerry Leiber dies aged 78.

• Like 1

Death of a legend, one of the most important songwriters in the history of rock & roll – whose 50-year partnership with Mike Stoller produced "Stand By Me," "Hound Dog," "Jailhouse Rock," "Young Blood," "On Broadway," "Yakety-Yak" and countless other classics . :)

Death of a legend, one of the most important songwriters in the history of rock & roll – whose 50-year partnership with Mike Stoller produced "Stand By Me," "Hound Dog," "Jailhouse Rock," "Young Blood," "On Broadway," "Yakety-Yak" and countless other classics . :)

I honestly thought he would be older than 78

• Like 1

"Gordon Stoker, a member of The Jordanaires vocal group that backed up Elvis Presley, has died. He was 88"

Documentary at 9 on Channel 5 tonight - about his last hours, and his autopsy.

Not sure if repeat or not but should be interesting to see about The King......... of All Heart Attacks.

Not sure if repeat or not but should be interesting to see about The King......... of All Heart Attacks.

There were - unauthorised - videos of his autopsy (as in the real thing) available on VHS in the eighties. He'd have been 80 next month. I was busy last week planning a radio show to mark the 80th birthday, we've managed to source an album of a séance in which Elvis - apparently - comes through, and the album by Jimmy "Orion" Ellis (i.e. the recording that fooled a few people into thinking Elvis was alive and still recording). Truly, there is no end to Elvis related tack and strangeness. Myself and young MPFC may well be checking out Channel Five tonight.

Orion of course had a pretty grim ending himself, bled to death after a failed robbery attempt on his pawnstore got him shot in the stomach and, while he was dying slowly, got to see his wife take a shotgun blast to the face as well. Shame, he could have been on Pawn Stars instead of Rick.

• Like 2

Orion of course had a pretty grim ending himself, bled to death after a failed robbery attempt on his pawnstore got him shot in the stomach and, while he was dying slowly, got to see his wife take a shotgun blast to the face as well. Shame, he could have been on Pawn Stars instead of Rick.

Also, when you get to a track like "Washing Machine" on Orion's album you wonder mightily about the critical abilities of anyone who mistook that for The King.

There were - unauthorised - videos of his autopsy (as in the real thing) available on VHS in the eighties. He'd have been 80 next month. I was busy last week planning a radio show to mark the 80th birthday, we've managed to source an album of a séance in which Elvis - apparently - comes through, and the album by Jimmy "Orion" Ellis (i.e. the recording that fooled a few people into thinking Elvis was alive and still recording). Truly, there is no end to Elvis related tack and strangeness. Myself and young MPFC may well be checking out Channel Five tonight.

So........ I'm guessing if it had survived through to the internet era I would have heard of it/seen it by now? Or not?

(p.s. just finished watching the documentary, fairly grisly but could have been a lot worse I guess.)

Channel 5 have some really good stuff sometimes. Better than Channel Whore Four

I'm reading this interview with Priscilla at the moment:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/oct/22/priscilla-presley-elvis-spirit-speaks-to-me-its-beautiful

Apart from laryngitis and speaking with Elvis's spirit, she's fine, but now I have the idea that she might be the replacement for Nancy Reagan in the "famous widow" category, eventually....

Also, this forum missed the death of Elvis's bandleader in the 70s, Joe Guercio in January, even though he had a DDP-qualifying obit:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11330944/Joe-Guercio-obituary.html

"Dr Nick" George Nichopoulos, Presley's former physician, has reportedly died at 88. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1054782834584512&id=500049046724563

Obviously awaiting the usual confirmations, but looks like one of his daughters has confirmed.

Edit: http://www.wbrc.com/story/31316040/elvis-presleys-physician-dies-at-88

Saw a feature on Priscilla Presley in the paper over the weekend - notable because it mentioned that her household includes both her parents (Priscilla is 71!)

Oh aye and...there's a page devoted to Presley's relationships with links making it clear that some of his early girlfriends - potentially obitable when you count fleeting mentions in major news sources - are alive and getting old

Amongst those largely unknown in the wider world but clearly still with us are

Judy Spreckels, Anita Wood, June Juancino, June Wilkinson and Anne Helm

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_relationships_of_Elvis_Presley

Hmmm...  Rumour Lisa Marie is in decline:

“Lisa Marie is a drug-addicted mess. She’s become a wraith and her weight has dropped to a shocking 99lbs (45kgs). She may well have passed he point of no return. Her organs are in failure, with her liver already collapsed. People around her have tried to help, but it’s no use. She’s going to end up just like her father."

2 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:
Hmmm...  Rumour Lisa Marie is in decline:

“Lisa Marie is a drug-addicted mess. She’s become a wraith and her weight has dropped to a shocking 99lbs (45kgs). She may well have passed he point of no return. Her organs are in failure, with her liver already collapsed. People around her have tried to help, but it’s no use. She’s going to end up just like her father."

I really love this report.

"Lisa Marie won't make it to 2018! Please buy our magazine!!!"

• Like 2

On 2/5/2011 at 04:23, maryportfuncity said:

Catching a superb performance from Red West in his movie Goodbye Solo got me wondering how many of the Memphis Mafia still survive.

The survivor count goes down one with the demise of Sonny West. DDP points for Going Underground should there be a QO.

1 minute ago, Thatcher said:

Red West (IMDb), an actor and stuntman, Elvis Presley's friend and bodyguard and member of the Memphis Mafia, has died aged 80.

Interesting. Any relation to Sonny West?

(Probably, they wrote a book together.)

Just now, gcreptile said:

Interesting. Any relation to Sonny West?

(Probably, they wrote a book together.)

Cousins, I believe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

On that note, can anyone read the whole of Red's Obit in the Telegraph and see if it mentions Sonny's death? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2017/07/20/red-west-school-friend-elvis-presley-obituary/

Ha, breaks off right after Sonny is mentioned.